HP Laptop not connecting to my network

a-vaske

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I am having trouble connecting to my network. I have my modem running right into my Wireless b,g (I know, outdated) router. I believe it is a Netgear but I can get the specifics if necessary. Either way I have security set up on it so you need a password to access. Also I have it setup so I must add each device to the accepted list before connecting. I have successfully connected 3 iphones, an ipad, a Samsung tablet, an Xbox, and at one time an HP Mini laptop. However, for some reason I can no longer connect the HP Mini to the network. In every try I receive a message that says "Windows was unable to connect to "name of my router"". I definitely remember being connected to this router at one time in the past so I have no clue what changed. Also I can currently connect the HP Mini to the wireless router at work.

The interesting thing I find is that I cannot identify the MAC address in the list of devices on my router. I run an ipconfig to identify the MAC address for the HP Mini and then try to manually enter it into the router with no success.

A couple of other information points, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on the HP Mini and the Wireless card is a Broadcom 43224AG 802.11 a/b/g

Thank you for your suggestions!

If you go into the routers internal settings and verify that the wireless bands are set to mixed. Also you can try a different chanel and see if that helps. Verify the password and also make sure of lower case and upper case sence passwords are case sensitive.
You may have akllready done these things since you sound like you have a good knowledge of your wireless network.
The router won't let you add the Mac address or the address is in there but makes no difference ?

a-vaske

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I have not changed the bands or channels in the settings so that might be something to try. Actually I don't even get to the point of trying to enter a password. It just tells me that it was unable to connect.

The MAC address does not show up on the list where I can accept or decline new connections. So I try to manually enter the HP Mini's MAC address and that doesn't work either.

I guess I never mentioned that I can see the router in the list of options of wireless routers in the area. It's just the laptop not speaking to the router.