Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

what should I get?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 20, 2005 6:20:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

hello. I'm looking to stock up on rpg's.

I've played

Baldurs Gate 1&2 Had a tough time finishing part 2 and gave up on expansion

I also tried I think gothic 2 ( is this the one where you start in a
castle?) and couldnt get into it

Diablo 1&2
Fallout 1&2 and fallout tactics
Torment
Morrowind - was not impressed
World Of Warcraft - bored after a few months
Guild Wars - bored again

what else should I try? doesnt matter how old or new the title and
mostly prefer single player games

thanks

More about : question

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 6:20:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Wizardry 8 is a great game. It has a lot of depth and is turn-based
once combat begins. That as well as PS:T and Baldur's Gate 2 (which is
about the most massive game there is) are the three great ones in my
view. I didn't like the Ultima games much, they were decent for their
time (years ago) but don't hold up now in my view.
July 20, 2005 6:30:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I also was curious about the ultima series. Are they single player or
online games? I've heard so much about them but never got to try them out
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 1:49:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Bitstring <1121836195.109083.131440@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person NFLed <NFLed@aol.com> said
>Wizardry 8 is a great game. It has a lot of depth and is turn-based
>once combat begins. That as well as PS:T and Baldur's Gate 2 (which is
>about the most massive game there is) are the three great ones in my
>view. I didn't like the Ultima games much, they were decent for their
>time (years ago) but don't hold up now in my view.

I think the Ultima Underworld games are OK, the others do look pretty
dated. Did anyone mention Arx Fatalis (if you have reasonable dexterity
for spell casting)? OTOH anyone who couldn't get into Gothic 2 (that's
the one where even the damn flies are dangerous. 8>.) ...

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 4:15:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

George <no@where.com> wrote:
>I also was curious about the ultima series. Are they single player or
>online games? I've heard so much about them but never got to try them out

Ultima 1-9, Ultima Underworld 1-2, Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire and
Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams are single player. They pretty much ALL
have real time combat which puts me off them. The only ones I enjoyed
playing were the Underworld games.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 4:29:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

George <no@where.com> wrote:
>hello. I'm looking to stock up on rpg's.
>
>I've played
>
>Baldurs Gate 1&2 Had a tough time finishing part 2 and gave up on expansion
>
>I also tried I think gothic 2 ( is this the one where you start in a
>castle?) and couldnt get into it
>
>Diablo 1&2
>Fallout 1&2 and fallout tactics
>Torment
>Morrowind - was not impressed
>World Of Warcraft - bored after a few months
>Guild Wars - bored again
>
>what else should I try? doesnt matter how old or new the title and
>mostly prefer single player games

Try Betrayal at Krondor. It's turn based, has a good story, and was made
freeware by Sierra in 1997.
Maybe Albion.
July 20, 2005 7:09:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"George" <no@where.com> wrote in message
news:WxiDe.165721$x96.120678@attbi_s72...
> hello. I'm looking to stock up on rpg's.
>
> I've played
>
> Baldurs Gate 1&2 Had a tough time finishing part 2 and gave up on
> expansion
>
> I also tried I think gothic 2 ( is this the one where you start in a
> castle?) and couldnt get into it
>
> Diablo 1&2
> Fallout 1&2 and fallout tactics
> Torment
> Morrowind - was not impressed
> World Of Warcraft - bored after a few months
> Guild Wars - bored again
>
> what else should I try? doesnt matter how old or new the title and mostly
> prefer single player games
>
> thanks

Divine Divinity - like Diablo but more quests and people to interact with
and with a healthy dose of humour too - the last section turns into a bit a
chore with lots of comabt (why do game makers resort to that ?) but its
still a good game.
Dungeon Siege - a slashfest like Diablo but comabt is pretty simple to
coordinate
and the engine is very good.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 9:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:20:38 GMT, George wrote:

> what else should I try? doesnt matter how old or new the title and
> mostly prefer single player games

Divine Divinity is a game you might enjoy. Isometric view, decent skill
system, not so bad story, a remotely like D2 (but only distantly so).
Easier than BG, but more RPG-like than D2,

MC already suggested Kult: Heretic Kingdoms, which I'd second. It's also a
bit D2-like. Can be hard early on, but get's easier as you play. Uses a
nice "dual-world" system where you can slip from one dimension in another.
I think the game is a little underrated. It came out last year, so
shouldn't be too expensive.

Sacred and its expansion Sacred Underworld, with all patches and only if
you play offline. Dame category as the games up. Plenty of items, random
quests, isometric view. Not a bad game by now, though still has some bugs.
But there aren't many games in this genre, so have a look.

If older D2-like games are an option too, look at Nox also.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 10:11:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Try Knights of the Old Republic (Kotor)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 22, 2005 12:23:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"NFLed" <NFLed@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1121836195.109083.131440@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Wizardry 8 is a great game. It has a lot of depth and is turn-based
> once combat begins. That as well as PS:T and Baldur's Gate 2 (which is
> about the most massive game there is) are the three great ones in my
> view. I didn't like the Ultima games much, they were decent for their
> time (years ago) but don't hold up now in my view.
>

Good gosh, I am just considering getting back into RPG games (SP mode
only--dial-up modem and too cheap to change) and you are still talking about
Wizardry 8?
I played that about 10 years ago (Or was it 20).
I started my 'puter life on an apple IIe paying wizardry (the first) and
castle Wolfenstine.
Wiz 8 is still kicking around huh. Dayum.


--

Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
-- Wallace Stevens
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 23, 2005 4:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> once tried to test me with:

> Good gosh, I am just considering getting back into RPG games (SP mode
> only--dial-up modem and too cheap to change) and you are still talking
> about Wizardry 8?
> I played that about 10 years ago (Or was it 20).
> I started my 'puter life on an apple IIe paying wizardry (the first)
> and castle Wolfenstine.
> Wiz 8 is still kicking around huh. Dayum.

Wizardry 8 released in 2001. You must be thinking of an older Wizardry
title. Wiz 8 updated the engine in a big way and was a major improvement
IMHO over Wizardry 7 in terms of the game engine and game system. It's
debatable whether or not the story was any better, but it did continue the
plot that was started with Wizardry 5.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 11:02:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns969BC4B5AAAC5knight37m@130.133.1.4...
> "Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Good gosh, I am just considering getting back into RPG games (SP mode
> > only--dial-up modem and too cheap to change) and you are still talking
> > about Wizardry 8?
> > I played that about 10 years ago (Or was it 20).
> > I started my 'puter life on an apple IIe paying wizardry (the first)
> > and castle Wolfenstine.
> > Wiz 8 is still kicking around huh. Dayum.
>
> Wizardry 8 released in 2001. You must be thinking of an older Wizardry
> title. Wiz 8 updated the engine in a big way and was a major improvement
> IMHO over Wizardry 7 in terms of the game engine and game system. It's
> debatable whether or not the story was any better, but it did continue the
> plot that was started with Wizardry 5.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
>

You're right. I am thinking of Wizardry VII (you are on the planet with
Umpani and the Rats!). I played it back in the early 90's. Like I said, I
started with Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord back on an Apple
IIe in 1980-81.
I shall have to check that out. Is is turn based or click fest?


--

Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
-- Wallace Stevens
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 5:59:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> once tried to test me with:

> Is is turn based or click fest?

Wiz 8 is turn based, very fun stuff. I recommend it, but it's kind of hard
to find it these days.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
!