What is the drive letter of the 27th drive?

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I've never given much thought to this question, or maybe it's just a stupid question. Anyway, what's the answer please? Thanks.

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
You can't be serious... On a DOS or windows system, A to Z is it, whether it is logical or physical drives.
. If you really need to have more physical drives than that on Win, you will have to go SCSI or RAID where multiple drives can be set up to appear as one drive, or removable drives that share the same letter(s).
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
The 27th partition cannot have a letter of course. However NTFS partitions can be mounted without assigning a drive letter making >26 partitions possible.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Just curious, but if you're using windows with another language, shouldn't it be possible?

Many languages have more letters than English.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
how about using the greek alphabet? :smile:

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My dad has a greater than 27 drive setup @ work. It simply used double letter from what I recall. Not sure if he was using windows tho (or some modded version).....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Why couldn't M$ standardize or enhance the drive letter assignment scheme by using numbers instead of letters? This would eliminate the different language version problem and allow one to have as many drives/partitions as needed.

I mean the drive letter assignment has been with us for more than 20 years, and BTW not many people use drive B: nowadays right? Isn't it time to have a new scheme?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a 3-channel RAID card that supports up to 45 hard drives. If you send me 27 drives and the necessary cables, I'll hook it up and tell you!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You can partition your drives to find out or is there a limit to how many partitions per drive.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think there's a limit to partitions seen be windows, but since I use Fdisk, I can't do more than 3. Probably soley dependant on what partitioning software you use.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

RobD

Champion
DOS 3.3 used to only allow 30Mb (or about that) per partition. I recall dropping that OS on a 270Mb HD a long time ago, back when 270 was like <i>wow!</i>. Now that baby had a <b>lot</b> of drives.

Personally, I'd love to have an <i>fu</i> drive. Oh, the hours of amusement that would cause!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Chineze language has something like 3,000 characters. Think of all that drive space! :eek:

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
They also have the world's largest keyboards.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL twit :smile:

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I couldn't resist.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Holyshiznit, I'm at 701 posts now.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe lucky you... im at 11 thousand something hundred lost count after that ;)

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

LagMonster

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
If no drive letter is availible, it's not given a drive letter. Instead, it appears like a remote drive. You can't use more than a single character preceding : because NTFS uses ":" for specifying file streams.