What awaits us this year? (SP-wise, especially)

Somehow there really haven't been any good single-player-suited RPGs this
year so far, at least not for the PC. I am actually "somewhat" looking at a
GBA and some of the RPGs that exist for it, but haven't made up my mind if
I should really get one of those.

Anyway, what RPGs are we looking forward to this year? The Fall should come
out in English before the year is over, but that came out here in Germany
last year already, so it's not new to me. Then there's Dungeon Siege 2 in
August. But what else is there? I don't expect Oblivion (TSE4) or Gothic 3
before 2006.

Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:

> Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?
>
> M.

I'll probably check out Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, although it's not
solely SP, PC or even pure RPG. This is as much for nostalgic reasons
as any.

The Dungeon Siege 2 beta convinced me not to even buy it. They changed
a bunch of things for the better (like actually having a *story*), but
it just felt ackward, clunky, and the environment looked very coarse.
It actually seemed like a step backward from DS1... or I just don't
remember it being that bad after 2 years absence.

I'm also thinking about giving City of Villians a try.

But no, there's nothing I'm really drooling over. And I'm still
cranking away and pretty happy with WoW, so that's not such a bad
thing.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?

Fable: The Lost Chapters or The Witcher?

They are on my Wishlist... But I'll wait for the first reviews.

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:54:21 +0200, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>Somehow there really haven't been any good single-player-suited RPGs this
>year so far, at least not for the PC. I am actually "somewhat" looking at a
>GBA and some of the RPGs that exist for it, but haven't made up my mind if
>I should really get one of those.
>
>Anyway, what RPGs are we looking forward to this year? The Fall should come
>out in English before the year is over, but that came out here in Germany
>last year already, so it's not new to me. Then there's Dungeon Siege 2 in
>August. But what else is there? I don't expect Oblivion (TSE4) or Gothic 3
>before 2006.
>
>Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?

Oblivion is my only *big* single player rpg on the way - I'll probably
need a new PC first, though...

And what's with all the carrots ?

On 20 Jul 2005 14:10:59 -0700, gaf1234567890 wrote:

> The Dungeon Siege 2 beta convinced me not to even buy it.

I actually never really liked DS1 very much. I generally prefer "one hero"
systems over those where you are in charge of an entire group of
characters. I played DS1 for a while, but it never managed to "grab" me. By
the sound of it, DS2 won't really change any of that.

Hmm, perhaps I should really bite the bullet and get the GBA special
edition that comes with Zelda: Minish Cap. I haven't had a handheld, or
even a console, since the Atari Lynx, so I really don't know if I'd enjoy
it. Then again, it doesn't cost more than two and a half PC games, and I
have wasted so much money on poor titles lately. :/

M.

Sadly, there's not one RPG I'm looking forward to playing in PC.
What I would really like is an RPG with a good story, party non-twitch
game (so far sounds like japanese style RPG)... but NO CONSTANT
FIGHTING!!! I really loved FF7 but I couldn't get myself to finish,
that constant fighting every 2 steps, turn around, another fight
(didn't I just clear this area?).
I wish there was something like this in PC, but really, after BG2 I
haven't enjoyed any RPGs in the PC (I played Kotor 1 and 2 in Xbox).
When is Baldur's Gate 3 coming out!!!!? please devs?

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, perhaps I should really bite the bullet and get the GBA special
> edition that comes with Zelda: Minish Cap.

Minish Cap is really good, as are all the Zelda games.

There are quite a few quality RPGs on the Gameboy, though they tend to
skew towards the Japanese console style of RPG. There are also really
excellent tactical-RPGs, like Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem. There's
even a Diabloesque game or two, such as Shining Soul and the Lord of
the Rings games.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

In article <sbk3ev0v9l0f.1j3kcoafh8ato$.dlg@40tude.net>, Michael Vondung wrote:
> Hmm, perhaps I should really bite the bullet and get the GBA special
> edition that comes with Zelda: Minish Cap. I haven't had a handheld, or
> even a console, since the Atari Lynx, so I really don't know if I'd enjoy
> it. Then again, it doesn't cost more than two and a half PC games, and I
> have wasted so much money on poor titles lately. :/

You might want to consider getting the Nintendo DS instead.
Plays GBA games (but not GB/GBC ones), and has a really nice screen.
(Well, actually two of them, but you can only use one at a time for GBA games)

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 20 Jul 2005 14:10:59 -0700, gaf1234567890 wrote:
>
>> The Dungeon Siege 2 beta convinced me not to even buy it.
>
> I actually never really liked DS1 very much. I generally prefer "one hero"
> systems over those where you are in charge of an entire group of
> characters. I played DS1 for a while, but it never managed to "grab" me.
> By
> the sound of it, DS2 won't really change any of that.

you can always opt for solo in DS1/LoA. I played the original DS and its
expension solo, refusing all request to join my party, not even a pack mule.

> Hmm, perhaps I should really bite the bullet and get the GBA special
> edition that comes with Zelda: Minish Cap. I haven't had a handheld, or
> even a console, since the Atari Lynx, so I really don't know if I'd enjoy
> it. Then again, it doesn't cost more than two and a half PC games, and I
> have wasted so much money on poor titles lately. :/

Well form the view of the future of PC gaming, especially in the RPG camp,
I'd say looking at handheld/console as an alternative or even simply
substitude of PC gaming is a wise chioce. At the very least, they are much
more better in term of software quality, no patch is needed/applicable. Some
of them are more fun I'd say.

Zelda:Minish Cap is fun the first half, but if you are perfectionist that
wished to collect everything, you'll be in hell...heh heh...there are soooo
many figurines and those "coin pieces" to collect, that, sometimes it become
tedious to find them.

Quoth The Raven "Michael Vondung"<mvondung@gmail.com> in
k9n5dc5ao3f6.6mmayhaxg263$.dlg@40tude.net
> Somehow there really haven't been any good single-player-suited RPGs
> this year so far, at least not for the PC. I am actually "somewhat"
> looking at a GBA and some of the RPGs that exist for it, but haven't
> made up my mind if I should really get one of those.
>
> Anyway, what RPGs are we looking forward to this year? The Fall
> should come out in English before the year is over, but that came out
> here in Germany last year already, so it's not new to me. Then
> there's Dungeon Siege 2 in August. But what else is there? I don't
> expect Oblivion (TSE4) or Gothic 3 before 2006.
>
> Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?
>
> M.

stalker, fable, morrowind4

--
A stretched out Slinky is 87 feet long.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven "Michael Vondung"<mvondung@gmail.com> in
> k9n5dc5ao3f6.6mmayhaxg263$.dlg@40tude.net
>> Somehow there really haven't been any good single-player-suited RPGs
>> this year so far, at least not for the PC. I am actually "somewhat"
>> looking at a GBA and some of the RPGs that exist for it, but haven't
>> made up my mind if I should really get one of those.
>>
>> Anyway, what RPGs are we looking forward to this year? The Fall
>> should come out in English before the year is over, but that came out
>> here in Germany last year already, so it's not new to me. Then
>> there's Dungeon Siege 2 in August. But what else is there? I don't
>> expect Oblivion (TSE4) or Gothic 3 before 2006.
>>
>> Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?
>>
>> M.
>
> stalker, fable, morrowind4

there was never any morrowind 2 or 3, so where's the 4 coming from? It's The
Elder's Scroll 3: Morrowind and The Elder's Scroll 4: Oblivious, er,
Oblivion.

> --
> A stretched out Slinky is 87 feet long.
>
> Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 20 Jul 2005 14:10:59 -0700, gaf1234567890 wrote:
>
>> The Dungeon Siege 2 beta convinced me not to even buy it.
>
>I actually never really liked DS1 very much. I generally prefer "one hero"
>systems over those where you are in charge of an entire group of
>characters. I played DS1 for a while, but it never managed to "grab" me. By
>the sound of it, DS2 won't really change any of that.

Your complaints about DS1 being no more an RPG than Super Mario Bros are
conspicuous by their absence.

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
>Minish Cap is really good, as are all the Zelda games.

I head that the Minish Cap was really easy, though. That's my biggest
complaint with Windwalker, I was never at risk of dying. It's a big
change from the older Zeldas which I found very challenging.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:12:29 GMT, Paul Murray wrote:

> You might want to consider getting the Nintendo DS instead.

The Sony PSP that comes out in a few weeks actually looks promising, too.
GBA with a game costs 129 Euro here, the PSP with a game will be 299 Euro.
Significantly more, but if the PSP is the handheld game console that will
dominate the market in the new few years, that might be a better
investition? But I'm really clueless. Like I said, the Atari Lynx was my
last console/handheld.

M.

"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
> Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hmm, perhaps I should really bite the bullet and get the GBA special
>> edition that comes with Zelda: Minish Cap.
>
> Minish Cap is really good, as are all the Zelda games.
>
> There are quite a few quality RPGs on the Gameboy, though they tend to
> skew towards the Japanese console style of RPG. There are also really
> excellent tactical-RPGs, like Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem. There's
> even a Diabloesque game or two, such as Shining Soul and the Lord of
> the Rings games.
>
> Nick

I don't think minish cap is that great, it's very linear, with some bad
balance in the collectible things like coins/shells which are always
maxed -- I didn't finish it out of boredom, first time this happens with a
Zelda game.

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> The Sony PSP that comes out in a few weeks actually looks promising,
> too. GBA with a game costs 129 Euro here, the PSP with a game will be
> 299 Euro. Significantly more, but if the PSP is the handheld game
> console that will dominate the market in the new few years, that might
> be a better investition? But I'm really clueless. Like I said, the
> Atari Lynx was my last console/handheld.

But not for an RPG fan, at least, not yet. There aren't ANY titles
available, whereas a Game Boy Advance SP will play dozens of RPGs, some in
the GBA format and some in the GBC format. PSP has ONE RPG-lite game that's
similar to the action/RPGish game Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the
PS2/Xbox, I forgot the name.

If you also like strategy, GBA is the way to go, again. Advance Wars 1 & 2,
Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, and several other turn-based strategy
titles for this platform. There's even a Heroes of Might & Magic (GBC
format).

Plus the SP is going for cheap now, it's actually a good deal. The PSP is a
major expense. Keep in mind that a portable goes with you everywhere and
has a high-risk factor for getting damaged.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:
> If you also like strategy, GBA is the way to go, again. Advance Wars
> 1 & 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, and several other
> turn-based strategy titles for this platform. There's even a Heroes
> of Might & Magic (GBC format).

I couldn't agree more, and let's not forget the big one coming out later
this summer - Rebelstar: Tactical Command. Probably the closest thing to
Xcom we'll ever see on a handheld, one that should convert a lot of
skeptical anti consolist/handheld folks 'round these parts :)

Not to mention Pirate Battle early next year, a strategy/rpg that is also
looking very promising.

But I never knew there was a HoMM made for the gbc, was it any good?

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:

> But I never knew there was a HoMM made for the gbc, was it any good?

It's essentially HOMM2 except with lower res graphics and of course less
screen to see what's happening.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I wish there was something like this in PC, but really, after BG2 I
> haven't enjoyed any RPGs in the PC (I played Kotor 1 and 2 in Xbox).
> When is Baldur's Gate 3 coming out!!!!? please devs?

I keep playing BG2 with different mods. Makes it pretty cool (although yea,
you still go to the same places... ok, let's do the Umar Hills temple
again..."

plus, if you are concerned about DS not playing GBC cartridges, you can get
a Flash Cartridge, and if you do buy the original GBC game, it wouldn't be
considered pirating...

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote:
>Knight37 wrote:
>> If you also like strategy, GBA is the way to go, again. Advance Wars
>> 1 & 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, and several other
>> turn-based strategy titles for this platform. There's even a Heroes
>> of Might & Magic (GBC format).
>
>I couldn't agree more, and let's not forget the big one coming out later
>this summer - Rebelstar: Tactical Command. Probably the closest thing to
>Xcom we'll ever see on a handheld, one that should convert a lot of
>skeptical anti consolist/handheld folks 'round these parts :)
>
>Not to mention Pirate Battle early next year, a strategy/rpg that is also
>looking very promising.
>
>But I never knew there was a HoMM made for the gbc, was it any good?

I think HoM&M was already made for the NES.

> Somehow there really haven't been any good single-player-suited RPGs this
> year so far, at least not for the PC. I am actually "somewhat" looking at
> GBA and some of the RPGs that exist for it, but haven't made up my mind if
> I should really get one of those.
>
> Anyway, what RPGs are we looking forward to this year? The Fall should
> come
> out in English before the year is over, but that came out here in Germany
> last year already, so it's not new to me. Then there's Dungeon Siege 2 in
> August. But what else is there? I don't expect Oblivion (TSE4) or Gothic 3
> before 2006.
>
> Is there a RPG you're looking forward to in the next few months?
>
> M.

GUILD WARS is nice played solo (add computer teammates, "henchmen", which
tend to be reasonably smart), and if you're stuck in an area, you can team
up with other players.

-- Ken from Chicago (who *likes* the cutscenes, especially seeing your
character larger than life)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sadly, there's not one RPG I'm looking forward to playing in PC.
> What I would really like is an RPG with a good story, party non-twitch
> game (so far sounds like japanese style RPG)... but NO CONSTANT
> FIGHTING!!! I really loved FF7 but I couldn't get myself to finish,
> that constant fighting every 2 steps, turn around, another fight
> (didn't I just clear this area?).
> I wish there was something like this in PC, but really, after BG2 I
> haven't enjoyed any RPGs in the PC (I played Kotor 1 and 2 in Xbox).
> When is Baldur's Gate 3 coming out!!!!? please devs?

If you have broadband internet, GUILD WARS has some of that. Not every
mission is all fighting and some cases, you specifically AVOID enemies,
making it somewhat like the stealth / spy games. Plus if you're playing with
other players online, they take some of the pressure off you.

Then again, what about ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION. That seems to have a ...
wee ... bit of buzz about it.

-- Ken from Chicago