Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Finished KOTOR2: Final Thoughts (Spoilers)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Ok, so I beat Sith Lords today, and overall I was very pleased with the
game. I don't know if it was better or worse than the first one, as they
both have their high and low points. Both had solid, if not entirely new
and inventive, RPG'ing: quests, NPC interaction, phat lewt, etc.

One of the things I liked about 2 was the Influence system and how it
affected your companions' alignment and progress with the Exile. I'm
glad they got rid of the NPC quests which required you to travel with
them the entire game if you hoped to run into one of their quests,
instead making it so that you only had to travel a bit with different
companions to get their influence up, or just get influence talking to
them on the ship.

However, most other new additions sort of washed over me, like the
lightsaber forms, and the new item creation system, both of which I used
maybe three times the entire game. It seemed also that the addition of
prestige classes didn't change much from the original dynamic.

Compared to KOTOR1, which I thought was about the right level of
difficulty, I thought that 2 was much too easy, except for the parts
where you controlled one or more of your party members, which was one of
my pet peeves about the game. It wasn't fun at all having to depend on
party members that for the rest of the game were more or less backup for
the powerful main character.

Last point I wanted to make was about the infamous ending, which did
leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed in a Eye of Beholder(I think?)
"Return to Prompt" fashion. Something more than just Kreia's talking
head followed by a short clip of the Ebon Hawk flying off into the
distance would've been nice. :\ I don't know if I'd create a petition
asking for the original ending, but it was a bit unsatisfying.

Tom Meyer
July 25, 2005 1:51:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-07-25, Tom Meyer <fake@email.address> wrote:

> One of the things I liked about 2 was the Influence system and how it
> affected your companions' alignment and progress with the
> Exile.

Alignment is broken. Save reload watch it go back to what it was
when your companion first joined.

> However, most other new additions sort of washed over me, like the
> lightsaber forms, and the new item creation system, both of which I used
> maybe three times the entire game. It seemed also that the addition of
> prestige classes didn't change much from the original dynamic.

Lightsabre forms are useful. I used the item creation thing to
create computer spikes.

> It wasn't fun at all having to depend on
> party members that for the rest of the game were more or less backup for
> the powerful main character.

Yes but as I argued some months ago this is fine in KOTOR2. Your
character is practically a God. Even the Jedi council feared her.

> Last point I wanted to make was about the infamous ending, which did
> leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed in a Eye of Beholder(I think?)
> "Return to Prompt" fashion. Something more than just Kreia's talking
> head followed by a short clip of the Ebon Hawk flying off into the
> distance would've been nice. :\ I don't know if I'd create a petition
> asking for the original ending, but it was a bit unsatisfying.

Very disappointing. There is a mod group that's reviving the cut
content. This includes the stuff that was supposed to happen in
the Sith Academy that gave all your party members closure. They
turn on each other if they are darkside or come to your aid if
they are lightside; or so I hear.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:31:02 GMT, Tom Meyer <fake@email.address>
wrote:

>Ok, so I beat Sith Lords today, and overall I was very pleased with the
>game. I don't know if it was better or worse than the first one, as they
>both have their high and low points. Both had solid, if not entirely new
>and inventive, RPG'ing: quests, NPC interaction, phat lewt, etc.
>
>One of the things I liked about 2 was the Influence system and how it
>affected your companions' alignment and progress with the Exile. I'm
>glad they got rid of the NPC quests which required you to travel with
>them the entire game if you hoped to run into one of their quests,
>instead making it so that you only had to travel a bit with different
>companions to get their influence up, or just get influence talking to
>them on the ship.
>
>However, most other new additions sort of washed over me, like the
>lightsaber forms, and the new item creation system, both of which I used
>maybe three times the entire game. It seemed also that the addition of
>prestige classes didn't change much from the original dynamic.
>
>Compared to KOTOR1, which I thought was about the right level of
>difficulty, I thought that 2 was much too easy, except for the parts
>where you controlled one or more of your party members, which was one of
>my pet peeves about the game. It wasn't fun at all having to depend on
>party members that for the rest of the game were more or less backup for
>the powerful main character.
>
>Last point I wanted to make was about the infamous ending, which did
>leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed in a Eye of Beholder(I think?)
>"Return to Prompt" fashion. Something more than just Kreia's talking
>head followed by a short clip of the Ebon Hawk flying off into the
>distance would've been nice. :\ I don't know if I'd create a petition
>asking for the original ending, but it was a bit unsatisfying.
>
>Tom Meyer
>
I absolutely hated Kotor 2 the first time I finished it.

But...

It's got a much higher replay value. I've played through it 4 times.
The last being near perfect for NPC influence I've realized that I
missed more then 3/4's of the story the first time through the game.

First and foremost, it's about the storyline (to derive sense of
completeness from the ending, it's absolutely crucial) This means
developing all your characters to get a complete picture of what
actually is happening. Pissing one of them off more then a few times
means at least one character isn't going to get maxed out, which in
turn means the story will be less complete. In this way the game fails
the player.

It'd would have been nice not having a limit on the NPC's you can use
when leaving the Ebon Hawk.

Some sub-plots are incomplete or missing all together, the
architecture and environments felt neither new or used. I liked being
forced into using other characters and the creation system took a bit
getting use to but became indispensable after I finally sat down and
figured out what I wanted..

Bugs, crashes,...I still favor 2 over 1.

(though this is coming from somebody who played his first rpg (kotor
1) in January 05. I've always been a fps player until someone dropped
their copy into my hands and said nothing. All I've got to really say
is wow)

Now I want more.

I'm kinda expecting the SW genre of kotor go MMORPG (hopefully after
part 3 if they do).

But, I think if they'd eventually kill it (in 3-5 years) as focus
turns to subscriptions rather then innovation. There's tonnes of
potential though, it'd be kind of neat being taught by Visas at an
academy after and eventually discovering that I'm force sensitive
(type thing).

I'd rather see another four games and see a canonized branch into
MMORPG just after part 5 and see a maintained offline base.
Development cost needs to be reduced by a factor of 10 (excluding
musical score and voice acting).
Related resources
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:35:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:31:42 GMT, fry <creamy@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I'd rather see another four games and see a canonized branch into
>MMORPG just after part 5 and see a maintained offline base.
>Development cost needs to be reduced by a factor of 10 (excluding
>musical score and voice acting).
>
At least another four games.
August 5, 2005 11:26:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:31:02 GMT, Tom Meyer <fake@email.address>
wrote:

>Ok, so I beat Sith Lords today, and overall I was very pleased with the
>game. I don't know if it was better or worse than the first one, as they
>both have their high and low points. Both had solid, if not entirely new
>and inventive, RPG'ing: quests, NPC interaction, phat lewt, etc.
>
>One of the things I liked about 2 was the Influence system and how it
>affected your companions' alignment and progress with the Exile. I'm
>glad they got rid of the NPC quests which required you to travel with
>them the entire game if you hoped to run into one of their quests,
>instead making it so that you only had to travel a bit with different
>companions to get their influence up, or just get influence talking to
>them on the ship.
>
>However, most other new additions sort of washed over me, like the
>lightsaber forms, and the new item creation system, both of which I used
>maybe three times the entire game. It seemed also that the addition of
>prestige classes didn't change much from the original dynamic.
>
>Compared to KOTOR1, which I thought was about the right level of
>difficulty, I thought that 2 was much too easy, except for the parts
>where you controlled one or more of your party members, which was one of
>my pet peeves about the game. It wasn't fun at all having to depend on
>party members that for the rest of the game were more or less backup for
>the powerful main character.
>
>Last point I wanted to make was about the infamous ending, which did
>leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed in a Eye of Beholder(I think?)
>"Return to Prompt" fashion. Something more than just Kreia's talking
>head followed by a short clip of the Ebon Hawk flying off into the
>distance would've been nice. :\ I don't know if I'd create a petition
>asking for the original ending, but it was a bit unsatisfying.
>
>Tom Meyer
>
For those interested in Kotor 2, there's an ongoing project to finish
up game...Ilike the droid HK factory, undergound levels, NPC dialogue
tweaks, etc...)

Homepage is here --- http://www.team-gizka.org/
!