WD vs Maxtor 8MB cache

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty much the same really. Ive seen benchmarks showing that the diamond max9 is slightly faster, but in real life situations the noticable differece is ZERO.
Both are fast.

Go with whatever takes your fancy. Though the W.D comes with a 3 year warantee... i dont know if the Maxtor drive does?

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Maxtor comes with 1 year warranty. I will buy soon, so tell me wich one and I'll buy it.

What about WD 10000rpm SATA 150?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well considering that the performance of the two is so similar, and that the Western Digital comes with a <b>THREE</b> year warantee... it would be a bit silly to get the maxtor dont u think?

regarding the WD 10K rpm drive... it sounds extreemly good i know, but its aimed at enterprise systems, only comes in one capacity (1 platter, 36Gb) and probably wont be available to the masses for quite some time :(
i hope they release a 72Gb edition sometime soon, but im not holding my breath

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My experience with Maxtor and WD has been with Maxtor being more reliable, BUT with most of my failed WD drives being around 2.5 to 3 years old! What does that mean? It means the failure that is more likely to occur is also more likely to be coverend under warranty. With my luck, my Maxtor drive would fail the same day as the warranty ended and my ISP would be down that day.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

ddarby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
The Western Digital would be the best choice due to it's 3 year warranty. it is also a quieter drive in operation I believe!