travelling with a HD in a pocket

jarizmo

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Which would be the most robust external HD system? I need to trasport my computer a lot and I've heard that internal HD's (mine is Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm) are quite sensitive.
I've heard about external enclosure systems (like PYRO) and external HDs...Are they more robust and as fast as internal ones?
Regards,
Jari

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most external hard drive enclosures use laptop hard drives. These drives are made for portable systems, so they tend to be a little more shock resistant. You can mount them internally on a PC by buying an adapter ($3.50). You could mount that adapter in a bay or even a removable rack. So then you could carry it around in a removable rack, but you'd only be able to plug it into a system with the same rack settup. For ultimate portability, any laptop drive in any appropriate USB/USB2.0/Firewire enclosure would be fine.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Regular desktop hard drive should be fine as long as the computer is not running when you are transporting it. I order a few computers online and they are delivered by UPS. I did not have any problem with any of them. I think most people are a lot more careful with their computer than UPS.