Your question

HDD failure/HDD not recognised in bios

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 9, 2012 1:35:01 PM

I attempted to upgrade my 64bit vista to windows 7 yesterday, and somehow managed to screw it up. After supposedly completing the upgrade my system restarted then told me the upgrade had failed and everything from my HDD was deleted. I then proceeded with a clean installation on my other HDD, everything went okay and it seemed fine until I restarted and it loaded vista again from my other HDD.

I went into bios upon boot and tried to change the load order, however it would seem only one of my HDDs is recognised. Also, the vista HDD is now failing apparently (yay!) which I'm not too fussed about, I just want to get a working system again. I checked device manager to try and see whether my other HDD was recognised there and it is, however it would seem that both of my HDDs are exactly the same make/model. Presuming my vista HDD is on its way out, how can I sort my computer so that it boots from the 7 HDD.

(Sorry for the wall of text, also, you'll have to bear with me as I'm not an expert at these things)

More about : hdd failure hdd recognised bios

a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 2:47:49 PM

Disconnect the Vista drive SATA cable, should boot from the W7 drive, reconnect Vista drive and format or remove Windows from it. Also check msconfig boot tab and remove any reference to Vista. Use seatools to check out your Vista drive.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

m
l
June 9, 2012 3:04:10 PM

Whenever I'm on the W7 drive the other drive can't be seen on my computer/device manager
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 3:54:49 PM

So just to recap, the 'Vista' drive works when both drives are connected as the machine boots into Vista, but when you manage to boot the Win 7 drive the 'Vista' drive disappears? And you only have Win 7 on the Boot tab in msconfig?
m
l
June 9, 2012 3:58:20 PM

The vista drive boots when both drives are connected and when I boot the win7 drive the vista drive disappears, yet. Also, in msconfig there is only vista, no 7. I am majorly confused.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 4:05:52 PM

Try Start/type 'disk' and choose 'create and format hard disk partitions' in Control Panel, see if your disk appears there...(when running Win 7...)
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:13:18 PM

I don't know how to boot from 7, that's the problem. I've installed it on the HDD but the computer boots the vista drive and there's no other HDD option in the BIOS when I boot.

I answered your previous question as I remembered how it was when I was on 7, I haven't been able to get back onto the 7 drive. Sorry for any misunderstanding :( 
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:55:38 PM

dodger46 said:
Guess you'll have to disconnect the 'Vista' drive and use your W7 installation disk to repair the installation. Go to
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-...
Ignore the waffle at the top and scroll down to 'Here's how'

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated, although the suggestion didn't work as I got a message saying;

"The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"

Despite this I've managed to sort it out and upon boot I can select either windows 7 or vista. I formatted the windows 7 HDD and simply reinstalled it again and so far everything seems to be in working order (touch wood) now all that's left is the failing HDD. Is there anyway whatsoever to save any installed programs, or can you only backup documents/pictures/videos etc? Do you recommend that I remove the failing HDD?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 7:06:02 AM

You're best re-installing programmes, I believe it is possible to transfer them but no guarantee they'd work properly and you'll save time in the long run. Download and run Seatools for Windows and check out your 2nd drive thoroughly, if it fails any tests I wouldn' t trust it as a backup!
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

m
l
!