A couple questions on video capture...

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
1. First, I've noticed that some analog capture cards have inputs but not outputs. How do you output the video afterwards on a card like that? My video card has TV out, can I use that for an output? How will it look.
2. Has anyone used the MSI TV@nywhere? I can get one from a store I've worked at for $130 Canadian (cheap for this area). I know it's a TV board, but it supports capture. Apparently it supports hardware MPEG-4 encoding during capture - how well does this feature work? Since a lot of editing software doesn't support MPEG-4, can I convert these files back?

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Many capture cards can only do one thing: (you guessed it) to capture video from an external source (vcr, camcorder, tv, etc) and convert it to digital format to be stored in pc. You can use the tv out to export the video, but I doubt the picture quality would be as good as the originals.

Encoding mpeg4 using hardware will definitely save you a lot of time. Currently mpeg4 video can only be viewed on a pc with appropriate codecs loaded. So it's still not very popular outside the computer world. Of course, you can convert mpeg4 video to other formats using software, but keep in mind that any format conversion would degrade picture quality.