Torment character stats

Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
in this game? At the moment, I've got:

str 14
int 14
wis 11
dex 14
con 11
chr 11

And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
Or am I just imagining things?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:30:47 -0400, "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca>
wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
>in this game? At the moment, I've got:
>
>str 14
>int 14
>wis 11
>dex 14
>con 11
>chr 11
>
>And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
>Or am I just imagining things?

IIRC, Int and Chr make a huge impact on your conversation options. In
fact, I'd suggest trying the game with them both high and low just to see.
:)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thusly "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca> Spake Unto All:

>And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
>Or am I just imagining things?

No, I think you're right. If I remember correctly you get more
dialogue options up to CHA and INT 16, possibly higher in a few cases.

Generally I'd recommend spending most points on CHA, INT and WIS, but
this isn't really a game you need to powerplay. Just play it like you
feel right.

Oh, and you've patched the game, right? Including the fan-made patch?
That fixes a couple of broken dialogues.
If you've not, and you're far into the game, don't patch it now,
because the patched game will be incompatible with your old savegames.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Oh, and you've patched the game, right? Including the fan-made patch?
> That fixes a couple of broken dialogues.
> If you've not, and you're far into the game, don't patch it now,
> because the patched game will be incompatible with your old savegames.

Yeah. The $5 bundled version (with something called Soulbringer) came
pre-patched to version 1.1, and I downloaded something called an "Unofficial
Patch" which seemed to fix a surprising number of problems that the official
patch missed.

What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I played
the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel. The Nameless
One battling the forces of the Abyss would've been cool. A high-level game
full of intrigue, desperation, betrayal and demonic corruption. Would've
made a perfect follow-up.

nostromo

Thus spake "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca>, Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:30:47
-0400, Anno Domini:

>Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
>in this game? At the moment, I've got:
>
>str 14
>int 14
>wis 11
>dex 14
>con 11
>chr 11
>
>And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
>Or am I just imagining things?

Don't worry too much about the physical stats - you can do just fine w/o
them. However, INT/WIS (& to a lesser extent Charisma) dictate the dialogue
options + quests & conversation flow - I'd start with at least INT/WIS as
high as possible (even 18) if you can.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca>, Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:30:47
>-0400, Anno Domini:
>
>>Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
>>in this game? At the moment, I've got:
>>
>>str 14
>>int 14
>>wis 11
>>dex 14
>>con 11
>>chr 11
>>
>>And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
>>Or am I just imagining things?
>
>Don't worry too much about the physical stats - you can do just fine w/o
>them. However, INT/WIS (& to a lesser extent Charisma) dictate the dialogue
>options + quests & conversation flow - I'd start with at least INT/WIS as
>high as possible (even 18) if you can.

Yes, but it should be said that WIS is more important than anything
else. Without high WIS you will miss half of the story, and all those
wonderful memories will be lost, like tears in the rain :)

It's kind of a trap really, because WIS doesn't do much in ad&d terms for your
possible classes (thief, fighter, mage). I would put on the first page
of the manual: get WIS!

--
Vozi Misko!

"Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca> once tried to test me with:

> What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I
> played the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel.
> The Nameless One battling the forces of the Abyss would've been cool.
> A high-level game full of intrigue, desperation, betrayal and demonic
> corruption. Would've made a perfect follow-up.

Stop it. You're getting me all hot.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 schrieb:
> "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca> once tried to test me with:
>

>>What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I
>>played the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel.
>>The Nameless One battling the forces of the Abyss would've been cool.
>>A high-level game full of intrigue, desperation, betrayal and demonic
>>corruption. Would've made a perfect follow-up.
>

> Stop it. You're getting me all hot.

Hey, we can ask Cleve Blakemore to do the sequel. After all, he
programmed the soon-to-be RPG of the year.

SCNR

-Niels-

Thusly Niels Allerheiligen <oberhaeuptling_KEINEWERBUNG@freenet.de>
Spake Unto All:

>Hey, we can ask Cleve Blakemore to do the sequel. After all, he
>programmed the soon-to-be RPG of the year.

Good grief, don't even joke about that.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:20:49 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Niels Allerheiligen <oberhaeuptling_KEINEWERBUNG@freenet.de>
>Spake Unto All:
>
>>Hey, we can ask Cleve Blakemore to do the sequel. After all, he
>>programmed the soon-to-be RPG of the year.
>
>Good grief, don't even joke about that.

He can hire Eep to play test and Bateau to do PR!

--

Paul Fedorenko wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
> in this game? At the moment, I've got:
>
> str 14
> int 14
> wis 11
> dex 14
> con 11
> chr 11
>
> And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
> Or am I just imagining things?

There's one thing you need to know, and it's not immediately obvious -
Wisdom is, by far, the most important stat in Torment.

High Wisdom gives you a % bonus to XP every time you earn it, and this
bonus becomes quite sizeable when you get the stat up really high. It
allows you to recover memories of your past lives at various points in
the game, which will flesh out the story quite a bit and earn you even
more XP. And (along with Intelligence) it allows you to get a lot more
dialouge options.

If you aren't too far along in the game yet, I'd recommend starting
over with this stat build:

Str 12
Int 13
Wis 18
Dex 9
Con 14
Chr 9

That's the best starting build I've found if you want to play a fighter
and still see the entire story. Charisma will get you a dialouge option
here and there that you wouldn't otherwise get, but it's nowhere near
as important as Intelligence and Wisdom. The stat checks at the
beginning of the game are all really easy, so just raise your Int for
your first couple of level ups and you'll see 99% of the dialouge in
the game.

There's also a trick you can use - when you hit 7th and 12th level as a
fighter, you gain +1 Str each time. Now, normally when you raise Str
above 18, you have to go through the percentile Strength numbers
(18/30, 18/60, etc.), which will cost you quite a bit of points. But if
you have your natural Str at 18 before you get one of the level up
bonuses, that bonus will raise it to 19 immediately, saving you about 4
or 5 points. So make sure your Str is 18 by the time you're 11th level.

Raising your Con later in the game helps a lot too. You can end up with
an insanely fast regeneration rate, making you basically invincible in
combat.

If you want to play a mage, don't worry about the Str and put the
leftover points into Int. But otherwise, use the same stats. And never,
ever skimp on the Wisdom.

Thusly rickr@is.rice.edu (Rick Russell) Spake Unto All:

>> What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I played
>> the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel. The Nameless
>
>http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3396
>
>http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3383

No offence to modders, but I'd prefer a professional sequel.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

wintermute

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:51:07 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly rickr@is.rice.edu (Rick Russell) Spake Unto All:
>
>>> What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I played
>>> the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel. The Nameless
>>
>>http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3396
>>
>>http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3383
>
>No offence to modders, but I'd prefer a professional sequel.

I'll take what I can get. Thanks for the links.

rickr@is.rice.edu (Rick Russell) once tried to test me with:

> In article <h_NFe.2198$d02.532250@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> Paul Fedorenko <pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote:
>> What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I
>> played the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel.
>> The Nameless
>
> http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3396
>
> http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3383

Thanks for the links! I just re-purchased NWN getting the Platinum DVD
version (so I will have one for each of my machines) and am playing around
with some other mods, these look good!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

rickr@is.rice.edu (Rick Russell) once tried to test me with:

> In article <h_NFe.2198$d02.532250@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> Paul Fedorenko <pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote:
>> What's really surprising, from what I remember from the last time I
>> played the game (back in 99/00) was that they never made a sequel.
>> The Nameless
>
> http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3396
>
> http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3383

I played a couple of hours of the Dante one so far (first in the series). I
took Annah as my follower. Pretty cool, it even has the voices of the
characters (Annah, Dak'kon, Fall-from-Grace). There is a LOT of text and so
far not much in the way of combat. I am not sure my character is that great
for this adventure but oh well, I can probably keep going through it with
her. The text does definitely have a PST flavor to it in many ways.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Paul Fedorenko wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what's a good starting point for a character's stats
> in this game? At the moment, I've got:
>
> str 14
> int 14
> wis 11
> dex 14
> con 11
> chr 11
>
> And I get the feeling that something's missing in terms of dialogue options.
> Or am I just imagining things?

As far as dialog options are concerned, it's Int and Wis leading
the pack, followed by Chr. Str is used in a few places in the game
and mostly as an alternative to a more peaceful solution. Dex is
special in that it allows you extra dialog options, whose outcomes
cannot be obtained via either Int or Wis dialogs.

It's been a while, but you should shoot for wis around 20/21 with
all stat-improvement gears as it's a major requirement in a bunch
of end-game encounters. Int is less important, though I always
tried to get it up around 18 without stat gears. Everything else
is nice but you can live without it.

Chr can be useful but primarily in terms of giving your something
extra, besides you can improve Chr by at least 2 via game dialogs.

Later...