Got the WoW 14 day trial, looking for class suggestions ...

Well, I got the PC Gamer mag that people talked about in this group and got
the DVD with the World of Warcraft free trial, and the problem that made me
avoid the game for so long has hit me again: there are no race/class
combinations that I like. Add to it that certain classes and races seem to
be considered really undesirable (okay, I read the Gamefaqs board, sue me
[grin]), and I'm torn about what to try in case I actually, you know, LIKE
the game and want to keep playing it with the characters I make here (or
even if I have to start over I'd like to keep the same classes I found fun).

Note that I'll be playing on RP servers if I can, so PvP is not a huge
concern for me. Also note that I tend to be a casual player and tend to
solo a lot, so how easy the class is to solo is a consideration.

So, the only race I had any interest in playing was undead. I don't want to
play a warrior, priest, or rogue. Which is better: warlock or mage? I'll
have to think up a concept for either of these, though.

I'm also thinking about making a second character, possibly on the Alliance
side. The only class I really wanted to play was paladin, although
supposedly they get a lot of hate from other players, which isn't that big a
concern I suppose but I like to be liked [grin]. I was also considering
druid, but I don't want to play as a huge moo-cow and don't really like
Night Elves or their poor reputation in general. If I played a paladin, I'd
probably play a dwarf paladin because it seems cooler. I considered playing
a hunter for soloing but the work involved in taming and keeping pets happy
isn't really for me. Any ideas on cool class/race combinations to try on
the Alliance side? Noting that I don't want to play the same class I play
as undead, and still don't want to be a priest, warrior, or rogue.

Oh, and what's a good, less crowded RP server?
26 answers Last reply
More about trial class suggestions

    "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me
    with:

    > So, the only race I had any interest in playing was undead. I don't
    > want to play a warrior, priest, or rogue. Which is better: warlock or
    > mage? I'll have to think up a concept for either of these, though.

    Warlock probably can solo slightly better than a Mage, at least, that's
    been my experience with a Mage 21 and Warlock 21, so that could change at
    higher levels. But both are soloable, as long as you don't try too much as
    the mage.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    In article <ftWFe.3204$d02.609848@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > Note that I'll be playing on RP servers if I can, so PvP is not a huge
    > concern for me. Also note that I tend to be a casual player and tend to
    > solo a lot, so how easy the class is to solo is a consideration.

    Pretty much all classes solo well.

    > So, the only race I had any interest in playing was undead. I don't want to
    > play a warrior, priest, or rogue. Which is better: warlock or mage? I'll
    > have to think up a concept for either of these, though.

    Mages are one of the best classes in the game. Very well balanced
    talent trees, always welcome in a group, and more utility options than
    any other class.

    Warlocks are relatively rare. They have several abilities that,
    combined with their unpopularity at the high end, make them highly
    sought-after in groups. On the downside, many warlocks seem unhappy
    with the class.

    For the other classes, in brief:

    Druids are also relatively rare. As one of the only two classes that
    can act as primary healer, they're popular in groups--the downside is
    that they suffer in any role *other* than healer. Probably not the best
    choice for soloing. The devs promise changes in the next patch.

    Hunters whine more than any other class. This is not entirely
    unjustified--but the class is much better than the average hunter gives
    it credit for. Superb soloers. Nothing special in groups.

    Rogues rule in PvP, have excellent choices in their talent trees, solo
    well, and are quite useful in groups. Probably the best thief class
    ever seen in a MMORPG. There are, however, too damn many rogues out
    there. Roll something else. :>

    Shamans are godly. There are too damn many shamans as well.

    Paladins are sub-par. Mediocre tanks, poor healers, lousy dps. Great
    survival skills and some nice group buffs. Hard to recommend.

    Priests are loved in groups, unsurprisingly. They've also got amazing
    damage output, with the right choice of talents--which is nice for
    soloing and brutally effective in PvP. Early levels are a bit of a
    slog, though.

    Warriors are the first and last choice for main tank in groups. Not so
    hot in PvP. A tougher class to play than it may first seem.

    > I'm also thinking about making a second character, possibly on the Alliance
    > side. The only class I really wanted to play was paladin, although
    > supposedly they get a lot of hate from other players, which isn't that big a
    > concern I suppose but I like to be liked [grin]. I was also considering
    > druid, but I don't want to play as a huge moo-cow and don't really like
    > Night Elves or their poor reputation in general. If I played a paladin, I'd
    > probably play a dwarf paladin because it seems cooler. I considered playing
    > a hunter for soloing but the work involved in taming and keeping pets happy
    > isn't really for me. Any ideas on cool class/race combinations to try on
    > the Alliance side? Noting that I don't want to play the same class I play
    > as undead, and still don't want to be a priest, warrior, or rogue.

    Druids are rare enough that the bad night elf rep doesn't stick to them
    as much.

    Gnomes and dwarves are both uncommon compared to night elves and humans.

    > Oh, and what's a good, less crowded RP server?

    There are no "less crowded" RP servers. :>

    - Damien

    >> Oh, and what's a good, less crowded RP server?

    >There are no "less crowded" RP servers. :>

    There are few low pop German languages ones ^_^

    Nel tempo Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:24:27 -0400, il mio fedele schiavo Wu
    desto' nel mio animo interesse sopra il conversare di "Allan C
    Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca>:

    >So, the only race I had any interest in playing was undead. I don't want to
    >play a warrior, priest, or rogue. Which is better: warlock or mage? I'll
    >have to think up a concept for either of these, though.

    I'm playing a warlock and I'm pretty satisfied with her.
    I like the demon minions, especially the imp (and its occasional witty
    remarks); I also like the versatility you get, and the support you can
    provide to your party fellows with healthstones and soulstones, not to
    mention a clever use of DOTs and curses.

    Oh, and since that character is an enchanter and that profession burns
    lots and lots of money (I never sell enchantments, saving them for
    guildies), a free mount is something more than a blessing.

    I plan to try out a mage sooner or later and compare the two, however.

    As for the concept, I think that you get many hooks from every race or
    class. Good thinking.
    (but if you choose warlock, you _must_ be at least in part arrogant
    and evil!)

    >Oh, and what's a good, less crowded RP server?

    You must be American to say that. I don't know. *sigh*

    Parvati V
    --
    "Cosa e' celvello? Pai non ha cosa del genele" - Pai, 3x3 occhi
    UnaMoleDiDadi (TreEmme Torino)

    Nel tempo Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:44:34 -0700, il mio fedele schiavo Wu
    desto' nel mio animo interesse sopra il conversare di Damien Neil
    <neild-usenet4@misago.org>:

    >Warlocks are relatively rare.

    In my guild we have only a handful of mages and some 20+ warlocks :D
    (but he's right on a general basis)

    >They have several abilities that,
    >combined with their unpopularity at the high end,

    unpopularity?

    >make them highly
    >sought-after in groups. On the downside, many warlocks seem unhappy
    >with the class.

    Oh, that must be because of PvP.
    In PvE I'd say that warlocks simply rule.

    >Paladins are sub-par. Mediocre tanks, poor healers, lousy dps. Great
    >survival skills and some nice group buffs. Hard to recommend.

    They are quite an impossible match in PvP, however. Way worse than
    shamans.

    >Priests are loved in groups, unsurprisingly. They've also got amazing
    >damage output, with the right choice of talents--which is nice for
    >soloing and brutally effective in PvP.

    I went the opposite way. If I want a damage dealer I use my warlock.
    As a priest, when I'm in a group I usually just heal.

    >Druids are rare enough that the bad night elf rep doesn't stick to them
    >as much.

    Well, honestly I can't say that their rep is played much... at least,
    from what I have seen.
    And many Horde consider the Night Elves the only decent Alliance race
    :]

    Parvati V
    --

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:24:27 -0400, Allan C Cybulskie wrote:

    > So, the only race I had any interest in playing was undead. I don't want to
    > play a warrior, priest, or rogue. Which is better: warlock or mage? I'll
    > have to think up a concept for either of these, though.

    I'd pick the Warlock, if these are the only two choices that appeal to you.
    Mages can solo somewhat well at medium and high levels, but the Warlock is
    a bit more versatile and enables you to have a pet. (Can even switch
    between different types, depending on the situation.) Warlocks also have
    some interesting class quests.

    > I'm also thinking about making a second character, possibly on the Alliance
    > side. The only class I really wanted to play was paladin, although
    > supposedly they get a lot of hate from other players, which isn't that big a
    > concern I suppose but I like to be liked [grin].

    Undeads aren't the best choice if you want to be *liked*. :p They are also
    overly popular.

    > a hunter for soloing but the work involved in taming and keeping pets happy
    > isn't really for me.

    Hmm, perhaps the Warlock isn't such a good choice, then. You'll need to
    collect soulstones and such, which I find slightly more annoying than
    having to feed your pet. Taming is very easy and fast.

    > Any ideas on cool class/race combinations to try on
    > the Alliance side?

    You don't really like a lot of what the game has to offer in regard to
    classes and races, so your options are limited. Yóu could try a Dwarven
    Paladin or a Gnomish Mage, if you go with an Undead Warlock. Both of those
    start in Ironforge, which is "the" hub on the Alliance side.

    The game picks up at levels 20 and 40, so try not to split your time too
    much, if you don't know yet for how long you'll play.

    M.

    In article <fbehe194reo7oc7fdr17ir3ekd3cojeq6s@4ax.com>,
    Parvati V <parvatiquinta@email.it> wrote:
    > Nel tempo Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:44:34 -0700, il mio fedele schiavo Wu
    > desto' nel mio animo interesse sopra il conversare di Damien Neil
    > <neild-usenet4@misago.org>:

    > >[Warlocks] have several abilities that,
    > >combined with their unpopularity at the high end,
    >
    > unpopularity?

    To play. They're popular to have in groups, of course.

    > >Paladins are sub-par. Mediocre tanks, poor healers, lousy dps. Great
    > >survival skills and some nice group buffs. Hard to recommend.
    >
    > They are quite an impossible match in PvP, however. Way worse than
    > shamans.

    Hard as hell to kill, but not too good at killing other people.

    - Damien

    "Damien Neil" <neild-usenet4@misago.org> wrote in message
    > In article <ftWFe.3204$d02.609848@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    > > Oh, and what's a good, less crowded RP server?
    >
    > There are no "less crowded" RP servers. :>

    Is this because there are no low-pop servers, or because all of the RP
    servers are low-pop?

    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:24:27 -0400, Allan C Cybulskie wrote:
    > > I'm also thinking about making a second character, possibly on the
    Alliance
    > > side. The only class I really wanted to play was paladin, although
    > > supposedly they get a lot of hate from other players, which isn't that
    big a
    > > concern I suppose but I like to be liked [grin].
    >
    > Undeads aren't the best choice if you want to be *liked*. :p They are also
    > overly popular.

    Yeah, but I LIKE the undead race [grin] and so can put up with some dislike.

    > > a hunter for soloing but the work involved in taming and keeping pets
    happy
    > > isn't really for me.
    >
    > Hmm, perhaps the Warlock isn't such a good choice, then. You'll need to
    > collect soulstones and such, which I find slightly more annoying than
    > having to feed your pet. Taming is very easy and fast.

    Well, what I was worried about was the whole "get a pet, find the right food
    for it (not hard, really) and then feed it to the right affection level, and
    then keep feeding it because it loses it, and so on and so forth". If I
    wanted to raise animals, I'd play Pokemon or raise grunties in .hack ...

    I don't mind managing objects and aiming to kill with certain spells to get
    soulstones, but don't really want to raise a pet ...

    > > Any ideas on cool class/race combinations to try on
    > > the Alliance side?
    >
    > You don't really like a lot of what the game has to offer in regard to
    > classes and races, so your options are limited. Yóu could try a Dwarven
    > Paladin or a Gnomish Mage, if you go with an Undead Warlock. Both of those
    > start in Ironforge, which is "the" hub on the Alliance side.
    >
    > The game picks up at levels 20 and 40, so try not to split your time too
    > much, if you don't know yet for how long you'll play.

    It'll kind of be a blitz session for 14 days, but I've never gotten TO 20 in
    any game except CoH, so we'll have to see [grin].
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thanks to all who replied. It looks like I'm going with an undead warlock
    and a dwarven paladin. Now, to see if I'll have fun with the game [grin].
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I've played all classes except for warrior, although my main is just
    lvl 38 (38,32,29,25,24,9 paladin I just started last night).
    This is my recommendation: It really depends on what you want to do.
    All classes are good, all can solo, all can group, all can raid. So
    depending on what you want to do:
    - PvP: If you really want PvP then Rogue, followed by maybe mage are
    the best PvPers. Rogue and Mage are the best to me in this option.
    - PvE Solo: Pet classes are the best soloers imho. Sure any class
    can solo, but most classes have to run away when they're fighting
    something 1 or 2 levels above and they get one or 2 adds. Pet classes
    don't really care about this, in fact, they like it, more exp. Warlock
    and Hunter are the best to me in this option.
    - PvE Group: Healer classes are the most looked for groups. Also
    warriors. So Priest and Warrior are great for full groups, and Druid,
    shaman, paladin are good for small groups (as they are more versatile)

    So, did I miss a class? As you can see, all classes are good for
    something depending on what you want to do.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <E6nGe.5782$d02.819215@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > "Damien Neil" <neild-usenet4@misago.org> wrote in message

    > > There are no "less crowded" RP servers. :>
    >
    > Is this because there are no low-pop servers, or because all of the RP
    > servers are low-pop?

    All RP servers are high-population. (In the US, at least.)

    - Damien
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <1122658029.480162.98510@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    wolfing1@yahoo.com says...

    > - PvE Solo: Pet classes are the best soloers imho. Sure any class
    > can solo, but most classes have to run away when they're fighting
    > something 1 or 2 levels above and they get one or 2 adds. Pet classes
    > don't really care about this, in fact, they like it, more exp. Warlock
    > and Hunter are the best to me in this option.

    Hunters are poor at melee. Believe me, you'll do plenty of running.

    Still a fun solo class, though.

    - Gerry Quinn
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Well, I tried it today ... and I don't regret having chosen the DAoC
    expansion over it when it first came out.

    I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring, but
    even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to matter
    a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    levelling up except for the enemies you face. And when I switched to the
    dwarf, the missions were the same: kill x number of y and a number of b,
    with a slight difference in HOW you did it but no real difference in what
    you were doing. Even my level 6 character was getting missions to kill
    things, and that was about it.

    The only good thing about the game at lower levels was one mission, which
    was to steal 10 pumpkins from the farmers. Since the fields were
    "patrolled", this led to an interesting tactical consideration of killing
    the guards around the closer pumpkins first and then taking them. And then
    a rogue was stealthing in and showing no common courtesy (after I avoided
    ones she was taking, she took two ones that I was aiming for and had cleared
    the guards for). And even that was repetitive and dull.

    I know that people will say "It gets better at higher levels", and that may
    be true, but as a casual gamer I value my gaming time and if the low levels
    aren't fun, then why should I choose that game over others that ARE more fun
    at lower levels?

    WoW doesn't have the alt choices of CoH and DAoC, doesn't have the missions
    at low levels (especially a lack of instances at low levels which both CoH
    and DAoC have) that are interesting enough to make running alts fun even if
    it had the choices, and since I'm not really interested in PvP (and joined
    an RP server) there seems to be little here that interests me. So if I want
    another MMORPG, it seems like WoW isn't worth my money. I might as well
    re-up in DAoC, which is much more fun, at least to me. At least I wouldn't
    have to buy the software on top of everything [grin].

    Or wait for a new one or CoV to come out, of course [grin]
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <VNUGe.6734$d02.1033194@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    > about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring, but
    > even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    > quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    > much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to matter
    > a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    > faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    > inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    > abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    > levelling up except for the enemies you face. And when I switched to the
    > dwarf, the missions were the same: kill x number of y and a number of b,
    > with a slight difference in HOW you did it but no real difference in what
    > you were doing. Even my level 6 character was getting missions to kill
    > things, and that was about it.

    I'm curious: I've never played a MMORPG that had many quests that went
    beyond "take the foozle to Fred", "kill X whoozits", or "collect Y
    foozles from whoozits". What does DAoC do differently?

    WoW does have character customization options, but they only start at
    level 10. Depending on the class you play, they range from significant
    to minor.

    - Damien
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:

    > Hunters are poor at melee. Believe me, you'll do plenty of running.
    >
    > Still a fun solo class, though.

    Hunters are not poor at melee up to 43, I don't know about beyond that.
    They get duel-weild, and they can weild swords axes or whatever. They do
    not put out as much dps in melee as they can dish out with a good rifle or
    bow, but they can definitely hold their own in melee situations against
    mobs. Hunters get Raptor Strike which can dish out a lot of damage in
    melee, not to mention aspect of monkey tied with the thing that gives you a
    free attack when you dodge. They are no ROGUE, of course, but they
    melee far better than the caster classes. When soloing, I typically will
    use aimed shot to do the first blow, then pound the mob with various shots
    until it closes to melee, and if the pet hasn't taken aggro by then I just
    melee the mob until it dies. If the pet takes aggro then I will back off
    and continue using the rifle.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > In article <VNUGe.6734$d02.1033194@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > > I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    > > about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring,
    but
    > > even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    > > quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    > > much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to
    matter
    > > a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    > > faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    > > inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    > > abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    > > levelling up except for the enemies you face. And when I switched to
    the
    > > dwarf, the missions were the same: kill x number of y and a number of b,
    > > with a slight difference in HOW you did it but no real difference in
    what
    > > you were doing. Even my level 6 character was getting missions to kill
    > > things, and that was about it.
    >
    > I'm curious: I've never played a MMORPG that had many quests that went
    > beyond "take the foozle to Fred", "kill X whoozits", or "collect Y
    > foozles from whoozits". What does DAoC do differently?

    As an example, part of the new Hibernian starter quests (to give you your
    basic armour and things) include a mission to get yourself turned into a
    fairy-type creature so that you can meet with the leader of the fairies who
    are trying to overrun your village and attack your faction. So you go, you
    do it, and then she talks to you and gives you some sort of map or document,
    which you take back to the trainer (and you eventually turn back to your
    form). The next mission is a "give to" mission, but it involves using the
    transportation options to do it, and there's more to do with that where all
    the starting missions BUILD on each other. DAoC also had many more -- at
    all levels -- missions which were "Go kill this specific character who is
    doing some nasty things", which made it feel like more of a world.

    In CoH, "kill X of Y" missions are fairly insignificant. You tend to get
    more "Clear this warehouse of criminals" and stuff like that.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <Xns96A3E7FA7E916knight37m@130.133.1.4>, knight37m@gmail.com
    says...
    > Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:
    >
    > > Hunters are poor at melee. Believe me, you'll do plenty of running.
    > >
    > > Still a fun solo class, though.
    >
    > Hunters are not poor at melee up to 43, I don't know about beyond that.
    > They get duel-weild, and they can weild swords axes or whatever. They do
    > not put out as much dps in melee as they can dish out with a good rifle or
    > bow, but they can definitely hold their own in melee situations against
    > mobs. Hunters get Raptor Strike which can dish out a lot of damage in
    > melee, not to mention aspect of monkey tied with the thing that gives you a
    > free attack when you dodge. They are no ROGUE, of course, but they
    > melee far better than the caster classes. When soloing, I typically will
    > use aimed shot to do the first blow, then pound the mob with various shots
    > until it closes to melee, and if the pet hasn't taken aggro by then I just
    > melee the mob until it dies. If the pet takes aggro then I will back off
    > and continue using the rifle.

    I do the same, but if you get adds and the pet has problems it's easy
    to be overrun. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

    Also my hunter is my first character so I've been stuck with daggers so
    far. (They seem more in keeping with the character anyhow.)

    - Gerry Quinn
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <VNUGe.6734$d02.1033194@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca says...
    > Well, I tried it today ... and I don't regret having chosen the DAoC
    > expansion over it when it first came out.
    >
    > I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    > about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring, but
    > even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    > quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    > much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to matter
    > a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    > faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    > inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    > abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    > levelling up except for the enemies you face.

    Surely you have to pick and choose the skills you buy at this level,
    unless you have been really lucky with gold?

    Besides, you are learning new abilities every second level and adding
    them to your fighting repertoire.

    - Gerry Quinn
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in message
    > In article <VNUGe.6734$d02.1033194@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca says...
    > > Well, I tried it today ... and I don't regret having chosen the DAoC
    > > expansion over it when it first came out.
    > >
    > > I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    > > about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring,
    but
    > > even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    > > quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    > > much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to
    matter
    > > a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    > > faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    > > inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    > > abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    > > levelling up except for the enemies you face.
    >
    > Surely you have to pick and choose the skills you buy at this level,
    > unless you have been really lucky with gold?

    It hasn't mattered much to my warlock. It's generally been "get a level and
    then at some time later go back and see if you are a high enough level to
    get any interesting skills". There's no real reason to go level up (as far
    as I can see) since there's no real trainer who does anything for you when
    you do level up, unlike DAoC. And you don't have contacts like you have in
    CoH to get missions that change at certain levels.

    It just seems so much less significant than it does in other games. Maybe
    that's something that people like, but to me it really takes me out of the
    world and feeling like any sort of heroic character.

    > Besides, you are learning new abilities every second level and adding
    > them to your fighting repertoire.

    Does this count for casting classes? Yeah, there are more abilities that I
    can buy and they do tend to come up every second level, but that's basically
    my point: they aren't really "inherent", since you won't be taking all of
    them at that level anyway and so it's just a level restriction, not an
    actual level reward. It's like getting a weapon that you can't use or buy
    until a certain level, not a reward for making it to that level.

    Or am I missing some inherent abilities?

    To put it in perspective, when you level in DAoC you get a certain amount of
    skill points that you can use to apply to any of the skills your character
    can take. This tends to make you want to level up and feel like you got
    something for doing it. WoW is all about money in the skills, and level
    only counts as a restriction in taking the next skill. I think they should
    have dropped the level restrictions and made it simply skill points + money
    (possibly) and then that would have made it more like a reward for
    levelling.

    And CoH gives you a new power every second level, which makes you feel like
    levelling means something. In WoW, it was WAY to easy to just forget or
    ignore whether or not you'd levelled.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> writes:

    > I do the same, but if you get adds and the pet has problems it's easy
    > to be overrun. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

    Using Aspect of the Mokey and the melee special attacks, a Hunter can
    hold their own in melee. And switching between the aspects is fast.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:19:06 -0400, "Allan C Cybulskie"
    <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> dared speak in front of ME:

    >Well, I tried it today ... and I don't regret having chosen the DAoC
    >expansion over it when it first came out.
    >
    >I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    >about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring, but
    >even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    >quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    >much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to matter
    >a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    >faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    >inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    >abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    >levelling up except for the enemies you face.

    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Meanwhile, I'm sick to death of games where 'levelling up' (and that
    includes gearing up) is the only thing *to* care about.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Using Aspect of the Mokey and the melee special attacks, a Hunter can
    > hold their own in melee. And switching between the aspects is fast.

    Note: I am thinking mostly of Dwarf hunters here, with their nice
    Stoneskin ability to soak the damage.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:19:06 -0400, "Allan C Cybulskie"
    > <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    > >Well, I tried it today ... and I don't regret having chosen the DAoC
    > >expansion over it when it first came out.
    > >
    > >I've only taken my undead warlock to level 6, and my dwarven paladin to
    > >about level 2, but even to start the starting levels are mostly boring,
    but
    > >even worse you get NO sense that you are actually part of a world. The
    > >quests are nice, but DAoC's starting character quests are much more fun,
    > >much more involved, and much more interconnected. Levelling seems to
    matter
    > >a lot less in WoW than it does in other games, even if you seem to do it
    > >faster (It only took me 2 - 2.5 hours to get to level 6) since you don't
    > >inherently get any choices of skills out of that levelling (or powers or
    > >abilities for that matter) and so there's no real reason to care about
    > >levelling up except for the enemies you face.
    >
    > You say that like it's a bad thing.
    > Meanwhile, I'm sick to death of games where 'levelling up' (and that
    > includes gearing up) is the only thing *to* care about.

    Yeah, I understand that some people might prefer it that way, but it goes a
    bit too far in that direction for my tastes. If the missions were
    interesting, then I wouldn't care, but I don't find the quests all that
    interesting and don't even have "but it will get me a level" to fall back
    on.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

[...]

    You are correct in all your statements. WoW is a simple game, based
    basically in attaining better loot. Its huge success comes from that
    fact. Just like Diablo did for RPGs back in the day, so WoW did for
    MMORPGs, it made them simple, stupid.
    To you, all that you mentioned about the quest may seem cool to you,
    but to the majority of the players that like WoW, it's just considered
    a 'time sink'. They'll just click on the 'blah blah blah' and skip to
    the killing part.
    It's sad, as I suspect all MMORPGs coming later (that are not already
    too deep in development to change) will try to take a chunk from WoW by
    making their MMORPG much simpler, stupid.
    Just as an example, with my lvl 31 mage I was having an easy time
    killing things even 1 or 2 levels above me, no problem with adds
    either. Then I turned 32 and still had a bunch of quests to do in the
    area, so instead of going to trainer, I kept killing the mobs and doing
    the quests. I even went to a dungeon (Gnomeregan). Like halfway
    through 32 I finally went back to my trainer, got all my spells (money
    really isn't a problem in this game, I always have more than plenty to
    buy all the spells at all levels). When I went to put my spells in the
    action bar I realized something... I had forgotten to put the previous
    level spells in there! So all this time, I was rocking the game and I
    was only using the spells I got almost 3 levels before LOL. I even
    read of someone who decided to play his paladin all the way through
    armorless, he was lvl 15 when I read it :)
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <y34He.293$pH4.15781@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca says...
    > "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote in message

    > > Besides, you are learning new abilities every second level and adding
    > > them to your fighting repertoire.
    >
    > Does this count for casting classes? Yeah, there are more abilities that I
    > can buy and they do tend to come up every second level, but that's basically
    > my point: they aren't really "inherent", since you won't be taking all of
    > them at that level anyway and so it's just a level restriction, not an
    > actual level reward. It's like getting a weapon that you can't use or buy
    > until a certain level, not a reward for making it to that level.
    >
    > Or am I missing some inherent abilities?

    I know there were some I was looking forward to - that counts as a
    reward.

    > To put it in perspective, when you level in DAoC you get a certain amount of
    > skill points that you can use to apply to any of the skills your character
    > can take. This tends to make you want to level up and feel like you got
    > something for doing it. WoW is all about money in the skills, and level
    > only counts as a restriction in taking the next skill. I think they should
    > have dropped the level restrictions and made it simply skill points + money
    > (possibly) and then that would have made it more like a reward for
    > levelling.

    Well, you do get a talent point that allows some customisation.

    - Gerry Quinn

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Games Video Games