My HP Pavilion dv6 recognizes one specific ethernet cord and no other.

Cleric4Life

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hi guys at Tom's Hardware! How are you all? Let me introduce myself a little bit. I am a freshman in college who games and has very little knowledge of the finer workings of computers and networking and all that. I have used this website many times for certain questions that come up. I am having difficulty locating a solution to this problem I have and I would appreciate it if the community here at Tom's Hardware would take some time out of their day to assist me.

So, here is my problem. I live in a dorm where internet is provided through a router that is pretty much encased in a metallic box on the side of the wall. At the beginning of the year, my parents bought me an extremely long ethernet cable ( about 15 feet I'm guessing). I have been using this ethernet cord with no problems up until now. I find it difficult to maintain the long cord as it gets tangled everywhere and I switch it between my laptop and my xbox (I can't get a switch to work). After prolonged switching between the xbox and the laptop the little tab thing that you push broke off and the cable starts to slide and disconnects me from the internet. I decided to get another ethernet cable and I tried connecting it but my laptop does not detect the cable and I do not see any lights turn on like my other ethernet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.