Sign in with
Your question

Stuck before loading the OS

Last response: in Windows 7
June 9, 2012 3:44:48 PM

Sometimes, when I turn on my pc, it gets stuck before loading the OS

I can see the bios logo, all fine

Then a black screen with an intermitent _ I must reset the pc from the case button because I cant even ctrl alt del (this happens right before i can see a windows logo, message, anything)

and then after the reset the system boots normally

any ideas why this happens ?

Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3
i7 2600K
16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Corsair HX1050
1.5 TB WD Black

More about : stuck loading

a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 4:43:27 PM

not sure why its happening but please make sure you have the latest firmware for your motherboard and have all the updates for your OS.
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 5:57:09 PM

1. Check the RAM settings and timings and see if they match what's on the box.....do NOT turn voltage down to 1.50 if your RAM requires 1.65 volts. Again, check the packaging / specs, loads of SB compatible RAM uses 1.5 volts at 1333 speeds but needs 1.65 at 1600.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Quote:
Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.

The Asus MoBo manual for the P8Z68-V says:

Quote:
According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.65 is recommended to protect the CPU.

Quote:
16GB Corsair Vengeance LP

2 sticks or 4 ?

If 4, try with just two memory sticks, in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th from CPU)

Run memtest86+ overnight

Rinse and repeat with other two modules

If all pass, but fail with 4 modules in, you probably have to relax timings.

3. Do you have a means of monitoring voltages ? The HX series is an excellent line, but the 1000 and 1050 have had ripple and voltage stability "issues".

Related resources
June 10, 2012 3:25:44 AM

I'm using the XMP profile for the ram, just 3 sticks I put one in my other pc, i didnt need that much ram.

I have the asus monitor and it should log the minimal change, because I adjusted it to be very sensitive, but the log is clean so np with the voltages. I think.

I'll do a memtest later and see what happens

Thanks!

PD: I think this is a new issue, I dont remember this happen the first months after I build it... it just happens randomly, not always, some days yes others not.
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2012 4:49:03 AM

run the wd tools and smart tools for hard drive check that there no real errors. you may be having a drive that not spinning up or there a controller issue. next time the system hangs see if the drive is spining.
!