audio input advice please

Last response: in Home Audio
January 22, 2005 4:13:29 PM

"Hugh Fox" <hugh_fox@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
news:884cca1f.0501171906.43d62427@posting.google.com
> Hi all,
>
> I have a compaq laptop running a pentium 3 (1.2 Ghz) with 256mb of
> RAM. i also have an allen and heath GL 424 board that has direct outs
> on it (used for live work). i would like to do some basic home
> recording so i need some advice on how to get audio into my computer.
> i would like to be able to record up to eight tracks simultaneously.
> the protools 002 rack (i am familiar with protools LE) looks ideal but
> i think my computer might be a bit wimpy and i dont have a firewire
> connection (USB only)?
> is it possible to beef up my PC to run the 002 or could someone please
> recommend other alternatives (MOTU, M-audio,etc.).
>
> thanks in advance for any advice,

The M-Audio Delta 1010 and Delta 1010LT are fine cards in their
respective
classs, and work well in machines in your power class. I have one of
each.
Guys,

thanks for your thoughts, looks like the PCI firewire adaptors don't
appear to work to well or has anyone had any positive experiences with
them?
Arny the M-audio delta 1010 looks like a nice piece of kit. will this
operate by plugging directly into the exsistng PCI card in my laptop
or do i have to fit the one supplied with it? How does it compare
soundwise to the pro tools products? And what about the software
supplied with it, is it good for multitrack editing or can other
software be run in conjunction with it and if so what would you
recommend? I am curious to know what you use your cards for.
Thanks again,
Hugh.

More about : audio input advice

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:40:27 AM

> Arny the M-audio delta 1010 looks like a nice piece of kit. will this
> operate by plugging directly into the exsistng PCI card in my laptop
> or do i have to fit the one supplied with it?

Sorry, in my response, I missed that this was a laptop. It is generally
impractical to use a PCI card with a laptop unless a docking station is
available that has one or more PCI slots.
!