Gothic III

A new( at least I think it's new) website has just shown up.

D.
37 answers Last reply
More about gothic

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:43:00 -0400, "Diane"
    <phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com> wrote:

    >A new( at least I think it's new) website has just shown up.
    >
    >D.

    Which one is that? Gothic3.com has had actual Gothic 3 content for about
    a year, I think. Did you mean a different one?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Which one is that? Gothic3.com has had actual Gothic 3 content for about
    > a year, I think. Did you mean a different one?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    > http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

    www.gothic3.com was the one I just saw. There was a blurb about it on
    rpgdot. I assumed it was new.

    D.

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:46:29 -0400, "Diane"
    <phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com> wrote:

    >"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Which one is that? Gothic3.com has had actual Gothic 3 content for about
    >> a year, I think. Did you mean a different one?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Cecil
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    >
    >www.gothic3.com was the one I just saw. There was a blurb about it on
    >rpgdot. I assumed it was new.

    Darn, I thought you found a new site. Oh well. Gothic 3 is looking good,
    eh? :)

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

    > Darn, I thought you found a new site. Oh well. Gothic 3 is looking
    > good,
    > eh? :)
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    > http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

    G3 does look terrific. To redeem myself for thinking new was actaully old,
    I did find www.worldoffate.com, a new fan site.

    If you tell me it's old, I will be forced to self-immolate. ;-)

    D.

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 04:47:20 -0400, "Diane" <phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com>
    wrote:

    >> Darn, I thought you found a new site. Oh well. Gothic 3 is looking
    >> good,
    >> eh? :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Cecil
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    >
    >G3 does look terrific. To redeem myself for thinking new was actaully old,
    >I did find www.worldoffate.com, a new fan site.
    >
    >If you tell me it's old, I will be forced to self-immolate. ;-)

    Fate looks like an interesting diversion but after what I have read here I
    think I would only play it if I had a warez copy. Having it install stuff in
    the background without my consent is an instant no sale for me.

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:37:41 GMT, Memnoch
    <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Fate looks like an interesting diversion but after what I have read here I
    >think I would only play it if I had a warez copy. Having it install stuff in
    >the background without my consent is an instant no sale for me.

    The fact that the art in it looks like a westernized version of some bad
    anime is also a big turn off for me.

    --

    Diane wrote:
    > "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote
    >>Which one is that? Gothic3.com has had actual Gothic 3 content
    >>for about a year, I think. Did you mean a different one?
    >
    > www.gothic3.com was the one I just saw. There was a blurb about
    > it on rpgdot. I assumed it was new.

    The link as written above does not work for me (The page you are looking for
    is currently unavailable) - you sure it's correct?

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    > The link as written above does not work for me (The page you are looking
    > for
    > is currently unavailable) - you sure it's correct?

    It worked yesterday. I googled Gothic III; the first search return on the
    list was www.gothic3.com and it was functional.

    D.

    Diane wrote:
    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    >> The link as written above does not work for me...
    >> you sure it's correct?
    >
    > It worked yesterday. I googled Gothic III; the first search return on
    > the list was www.gothic3.com and it was functional.

    Yup, it's working now - thanks.

    The game is looking good but I'm not sure what to make of the pre-historic
    looking beasts and enviroment - somehow the idea of Morrowind meets Jurassic
    Park doesn't do anything for me, if thats what it is.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > The game is looking good but I'm not sure what to make of the pre-historic
    > looking beasts and enviroment - somehow the idea of Morrowind meets
    Jurassic
    > Park doesn't do anything for me, if thats what it is.

    These 'snappers' were in Gothic1+2, too. They rather resemble those raptors
    from JP, true, but afterall, it's a fantasy world and to me, they fit right
    in.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:20:00 +0200, "Alfred Pum" <mooskugerl@gmxDELETE.at>
    wrote:

    >"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> The game is looking good but I'm not sure what to make of the pre-historic
    >> looking beasts and enviroment - somehow the idea of Morrowind meets
    >Jurassic
    >> Park doesn't do anything for me, if thats what it is.
    >>

    >These 'snappers' were in Gothic1+2, too. They rather resemble those raptors
    >from JP, true, but afterall, it's a fantasy world and to me, they fit right
    >in.

    I always thought that instead of squawking and attacking when you get too
    close that it would be funny if they ran away instead. I guess they are
    more like roosters than pigeons.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, Diane, (phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com) said...

    > I did find www.worldoffate.com, a new fan site.

    The site is registered with GoDaddy; and I get a lot of spam that links
    to sites registered with that service.

    And the WHOIS information says:

    Registrant:
    Shadowfax WorldOfFate
    123 Some St
    Anytown, Alaska 12345
    United States

    Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: WORLDOFFATE.COM
    Created on: 11-Jul-05
    Expires on: 11-Jul-06
    Last Updated on: 11-Jul-05

    Administrative Contact:
    WorldOfFate, Shadowfax worldoffate@gmail.com
    123 Some St
    Anytown, Alaska 12345
    United States
    (000) 000-0000
    Technical Contact:
    WorldOfFate, Shadowfax worldoffate@gmail.com
    123 Some St
    Anytown, Alaska 12345
    United States
    (000) 000-0000

    Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.CINNAMONHOST.NET
    NS2.CINNAMONHOST.NET

    Do you really think, someone who enters such "data" is reliable? To me,
    it looks like a shill.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:46:27 +0200, Gabriele Neukam wrote:

    > Do you really think, someone who enters such "data" is reliable? To me,
    > it looks like a shill.

    The guy is genuine. He was discussing the site at the official Fate boards,
    had a poll for the name (the name he chose was actually my suggestion), and
    several of the regulars there contributed to the content. (Awful design,
    though.)

    I can't blame him for not providing his full name and full address. WhoIs
    always struck me as somewhat questionable. It should be sufficient if your
    hosting company has that information, instead of the entire world.

    M.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I always thought that instead of squawking and attacking when you get too
    > close that it would be funny if they ran away instead. I guess they are
    > more like roosters than pigeons.

    You are thinking of the scavengers, big birdlike creatures, snappers are the
    dino-looking ones. And yeah, some wildlife that doesn't attack on sight
    would be nice for a change.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 00:05:47 +0200, "Alfred Pum" <mooskugerl@gmxDELETE.at>
    wrote:

    >"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> I always thought that instead of squawking and attacking when you get too
    >> close that it would be funny if they ran away instead. I guess they are
    >> more like roosters than pigeons.
    >
    >You are thinking of the scavengers, big birdlike creatures, snappers are the
    >dino-looking ones. And yeah, some wildlife that doesn't attack on sight
    >would be nice for a change.

    Yeah, that's what I meant. The ones being eaten in the Gothic 3 trailer.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, Michael Vondung, (mvondung@gmail.com) said...

    > The guy is genuine. He was discussing the site at the official Fate boards,
    > ... (Awful design,
    > though.)

    Yuppers. Can you please tell him to use a different web page creator?
    It looks horrible in my Opera. Text lines overlapping each others and
    separator lines, the page is virtually unreadable.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "Diane"<phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com> in
    11epo8ri3kosb24@corp.supernews.com
    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    >> The link as written above does not work for me (The page you are
    >> looking for
    >> is currently unavailable) - you sure it's correct?
    >>

    > It worked yesterday. I googled Gothic III; the first search return on
    > the list was www.gothic3.com and it was functional.
    >
    > D.

    WOW, I cant wait for this one, I read that it uses the elder scrolls IV
    engine and has a more conventional mouse based control set. this is going to
    be as awesome as Oblivion

    --
    No matter where you go; you're there !

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 00:05:47 +0200, "Alfred Pum" <mooskugerl@gmxDELETE.at>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> I always thought that instead of squawking and attacking when you get
    >>> too
    >>> close that it would be funny if they ran away instead. I guess they are
    >>> more like roosters than pigeons.
    >>
    >>You are thinking of the scavengers, big birdlike creatures, snappers are
    >>the
    >>dino-looking ones. And yeah, some wildlife that doesn't attack on sight
    >>would be nice for a change.
    >
    > Yeah, that's what I meant. The ones being eaten in the Gothic 3 trailer.

    Hrmmm, maybe, but with a world as dangerous as the Gothic world, i.e. so
    many high end predators, the lower end of the food chain creatures that grow
    to a large size would need to have a pretty mean demeanour to survive :)

    Ceo-
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:34:12 -0700,
    Anno Domini:

    >I played it for a bit, but 1.18 got a bit old pretty quickly since the
    >magic system is so damn limited.
    >Still installed, but hasn't been touched in ages.
    >
    >Currently giving Sacred another go.
    >So far it hasn't gotten boring, and there seem to have been numerous
    >improvements since release. (1.0 before, 1.8.26 or such now.)
    >
    >For example: one of the most annoying "features" at release was the
    >respawn and the chore of hacking your way through hordes of lower level
    >critters worth little or no exp.
    >Now critters 3 levels or so below you will only attack you if you get up
    >to point blank range, they'll ignore you if you walk by at a distance
    >that they would have attacked you from at a higher level.
    >It may be because i'm trying out a melee oriented seraphim instead of
    >the mage.
    >
    >[Don't recall if the second "wing" type (the ones with multiple posts
    >sticking out of it) was animated in 1.0 but those posts have energy
    >beams coming out of them now - faintly reminiscent of the "angel" wings
    >in Diablo2.]
    >
    >Don't recall if I ever really used combos back at release but they can
    >be quite handy now.
    >
    >Xocyll

    Yeah, I was getting right into Sacred after I reinstalled recently with the
    Plus pack...but then Guild Wars deposited itself on my hard drive >8^D

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:34:12 -0700,
    >Anno Domini:
    >
    >>I played it for a bit, but 1.18 got a bit old pretty quickly since the
    >>magic system is so damn limited.
    >>Still installed, but hasn't been touched in ages.
    >>
    >>Currently giving Sacred another go.
    >>So far it hasn't gotten boring, and there seem to have been numerous
    >>improvements since release. (1.0 before, 1.8.26 or such now.)
    >>
    >>For example: one of the most annoying "features" at release was the
    >>respawn and the chore of hacking your way through hordes of lower level
    >>critters worth little or no exp.
    >>Now critters 3 levels or so below you will only attack you if you get up
    >>to point blank range, they'll ignore you if you walk by at a distance
    >>that they would have attacked you from at a higher level.
    >>It may be because i'm trying out a melee oriented seraphim instead of
    >>the mage.
    >>
    >>[Don't recall if the second "wing" type (the ones with multiple posts
    >>sticking out of it) was animated in 1.0 but those posts have energy
    >>beams coming out of them now - faintly reminiscent of the "angel" wings
    >>in Diablo2.]
    >>
    >>Don't recall if I ever really used combos back at release but they can
    >>be quite handy now.
    >>
    >>Xocyll
    >
    >Yeah, I was getting right into Sacred after I reinstalled recently with the
    >Plus pack...but then Guild Wars deposited itself on my hard drive >8^D

    I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.

    Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    to be based on PVP.

    Xocyll
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:11:35 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    >of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:34:12 -0700,
    >>Anno Domini:
    >>
    >>>I played it for a bit, but 1.18 got a bit old pretty quickly since the
    >>>magic system is so damn limited.
    >>>Still installed, but hasn't been touched in ages.
    >>>
    >>>Currently giving Sacred another go.
    >>>So far it hasn't gotten boring, and there seem to have been numerous
    >>>improvements since release. (1.0 before, 1.8.26 or such now.)
    >>>
    >>>For example: one of the most annoying "features" at release was the
    >>>respawn and the chore of hacking your way through hordes of lower level
    >>>critters worth little or no exp.
    >>>Now critters 3 levels or so below you will only attack you if you get up
    >>>to point blank range, they'll ignore you if you walk by at a distance
    >>>that they would have attacked you from at a higher level.
    >>>It may be because i'm trying out a melee oriented seraphim instead of
    >>>the mage.
    >>>
    >>>[Don't recall if the second "wing" type (the ones with multiple posts
    >>>sticking out of it) was animated in 1.0 but those posts have energy
    >>>beams coming out of them now - faintly reminiscent of the "angel" wings
    >>>in Diablo2.]
    >>>
    >>>Don't recall if I ever really used combos back at release but they can
    >>>be quite handy now.
    >>>
    >>>Xocyll
    >>
    >>Yeah, I was getting right into Sacred after I reinstalled recently with the
    >>Plus pack...but then Guild Wars deposited itself on my hard drive >8^D
    >
    >I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    >interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.
    >
    >Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    >to be based on PVP.

    That doesn't seem to be vastly different from most of the games out there.
    I've pretty much given up on MMORPG until they can find some other way of
    keeping me hooked than the level treadmill. I've pretty much had enough of
    doing the same things over and over again just for one more level. I don't
    play single player RPGs that way.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Sat, 06 Aug
    2005 13:31:13 GMT, Anno Domini:

    >>>Yeah, I was getting right into Sacred after I reinstalled recently with the
    >>>Plus pack...but then Guild Wars deposited itself on my hard drive >8^D
    >>
    >>I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    >>interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.
    >>
    >>Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    >>to be based on PVP.
    >
    >That doesn't seem to be vastly different from most of the games out there.
    >I've pretty much given up on MMORPG until they can find some other way of
    >keeping me hooked than the level treadmill. I've pretty much had enough of
    >doing the same things over and over again just for one more level. I don't
    >play single player RPGs that way.

    Yeah, well I'm *definitely* not a PvP kinda player normally, & I haven't
    touched it yet in GW, but I'm certainly having a lot of good, wholesome,
    mindless fun so far! :) I can see the PvE game running out after 20-40 hrs,
    depending on your tolerance levels, but man it's a fun, pretty ride. And PvP
    seems to be much less distasteful in this game than others
    somehow...probably the fact that it's always consentual & that a significant
    portion of it has been designed from the ground up to be PvP. Dunno, I'll
    let you guys know soon ;-)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    <snip>
    >& that a significant
    >portion of it has been designed from the ground up to be PvP.

    This is exactly why I've had no real interest in it.

    At least the games where pvp seems almost like an afterthought for
    high-end content you have a PVE oriented game until the high-end.

    Designed for pvp on the other hand not only implies that the pve
    experience will likely be limited it also implies it won't ever change
    since pvp is the focus of the game.

    Xocyll
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:59 -0700,
    Anno Domini:

    >Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    >of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    ><snip>
    >>& that a significant
    >>portion of it has been designed from the ground up to be PvP.
    >
    >This is exactly why I've had no real interest in it.
    >
    >At least the games where pvp seems almost like an afterthought for
    >high-end content you have a PVE oriented game until the high-end.
    >
    >Designed for pvp on the other hand not only implies that the pve
    >experience will likely be limited it also implies it won't ever change
    >since pvp is the focus of the game.
    >
    >Xocyll

    It doesn't seem to be that way. As I said, 20-40 hrs of PvE content which
    *will be* expanded on soon is not bad for AU$70 online imo (I paid $100 for
    that treadmill software...what's it called again...that's right - EQ2! ;-).

    And I did say "a significant portion" - the other half is a well designed
    PvE game imo. That's the point - it plays equally well as both games. I feel
    compelled to explore the PvP component for 2 reasons:

    1. It's only consentual (the whole PvP game is)
    2. there is no permanent (or even long term) penalty for losing in PvP
    3. In spite of 2 above, it's still hugely addictive to 100s of 1000s of
    players...there must be something there at least worth investigating
    4. A lot of the 'unlocks' you come across in the PvE component are for PvP
    skills & items - it seems a waste not to use them after all that hard work
    :)

    Honestly X, if nothing else this game is the prettiest thing I've ever seen
    (except maybe EQ2 running on a Cray2010), & it's completely *free* after
    initial purchase. It looks to be a year at least b4 the 1st expansion comes
    out which they absolutely state won't make non-expansion players/characters
    redundant. Even if it wasn't true, a year of quality gameplay at that price
    is something most mmogs don't offer even at a monthly fee.

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:

    >I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    >interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.
    >
    >Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    >to be based on PVP.

    Well, I've now logged over 200 hours, out of which perhaps 30 seconds
    PvP (there's a mandatory PvP section at the end of the tutorial).

    It's really a good rpg, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You, like
    I, should however see it as a cooperative rpg, where you team up with
    people against the environment, not really a mmorpg (and definitely,
    absolutely, regardless of what you've heard, NOT as an fps).

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

    >mindless fun so far! :) I can see the PvE game running out after 20-40 hrs

    Not a chance in hell.
    Unless you get rushed by higher level players and bypass most of the
    PvE content.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Tue, 09 Aug
    2005 12:36:35 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    >>interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.
    >>
    >>Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    >>to be based on PVP.
    >
    >Well, I've now logged over 200 hours, out of which perhaps 30 seconds
    >PvP (there's a mandatory PvP section at the end of the tutorial).
    >
    >It's really a good rpg, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You, like
    >I, should however see it as a cooperative rpg, where you team up with
    >people against the environment, not really a mmorpg (and definitely,
    >absolutely, regardless of what you've heard, NOT as an fps).

    Very surprising to hear you clocked 200 hrs. Wow. How many chars so far?
    I've only got my first to Beacon Perch (almost 13th) at around 20 hrs. And I
    know I'm barely 1/2-way through the game...but I agree with the rest you
    said MC ;-) (btw - still haven't seen ya online :-/)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

    >>Well, I've now logged over 200 hours, out of which perhaps 30 seconds
    >>PvP (there's a mandatory PvP section at the end of the tutorial).
    >>
    >>It's really a good rpg, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You, like
    >>I, should however see it as a cooperative rpg, where you team up with
    >>people against the environment, not really a mmorpg (and definitely,
    >>absolutely, regardless of what you've heard, NOT as an fps).
    >
    >Very surprising to hear you clocked 200 hrs. Wow. How many chars so far?

    1 "finished", 2 progressing. I now mainly use the lvl 20 to farm (I
    find hunting in the desert very relaxing), and the 2 in progress are
    played when I team up with my friends (1 is for when all are gathered,
    the other for when only the most hardcore players are).

    >I've only got my first to Beacon Perch (almost 13th) at around 20 hrs. And I
    >know I'm barely 1/2-way through the game...but I agree with the rest you
    >said MC ;-) (btw - still haven't seen ya online :-/)

    Beacons Perch is perhaps 1/5th through the PvE, and that's a generous
    estimate.

    Note: don't get tricked into letting someone run you to Droknars Forge
    from Beacons, that's the most popular way of bypassing the remaining
    4/5ths of the PvE campaign, and it WILL spoil your game.

    Once you've ascended your character however, do consider spending a
    couple of thousand gold to pay someone to run from Beacons to Droknar
    - the runners are amazingly skilled players, and it's a real treat
    watching them.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Wed, 10 Aug
    2005 15:29:17 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >>Very surprising to hear you clocked 200 hrs. Wow. How many chars so far?
    >
    >1 "finished", 2 progressing. I now mainly use the lvl 20 to farm (I
    >find hunting in the desert very relaxing), and the 2 in progress are
    >played when I team up with my friends (1 is for when all are gathered,
    >the other for when only the most hardcore players are).
    >
    >>I've only got my first to Beacon Perch (almost 13th) at around 20 hrs. And I
    >>know I'm barely 1/2-way through the game...but I agree with the rest you
    >>said MC ;-) (btw - still haven't seen ya online :-/)
    >
    >Beacons Perch is perhaps 1/5th through the PvE, and that's a generous
    >estimate.

    Yikes! He, he, I better get crackin!

    >Note: don't get tricked into letting someone run you to Droknars Forge
    >from Beacons, that's the most popular way of bypassing the remaining
    >4/5ths of the PvE campaign, and it WILL spoil your game.

    I was gonna do a suicide run down myself, but I won't now ;-)

    >Once you've ascended your character however, do consider spending a
    >couple of thousand gold to pay someone to run from Beacons to Droknar
    >- the runners are amazingly skilled players, and it's a real treat
    >watching them.

    When I've 'ascended' (presumably near endgame when I'm 20th?), why can't I
    run it myself? :-/

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

    >>Note: don't get tricked into letting someone run you to Droknars Forge
    >>from Beacons, that's the most popular way of bypassing the remaining
    >>4/5ths of the PvE campaign, and it WILL spoil your game.
    >
    >I was gonna do a suicide run down myself, but I won't now ;-)

    No harm in trying - I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say you're
    extremely unlikely to get through. It's real hard.

    >>Once you've ascended your character however, do consider spending a
    >>couple of thousand gold to pay someone to run from Beacons to Droknar
    >>- the runners are amazingly skilled players, and it's a real treat
    >>watching them.
    >
    >When I've 'ascended' (presumably near endgame when I'm 20th?), why can't I
    >run it myself? :-/

    You should definitely try, it's quite a challenge. Basically you need
    to be a warrior-monk with the right set of skills, and you need to
    know the way. I've tried, for fun, a couple of times, and the best
    I've ever managed was about half way.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> looked up from
    reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
    the signs say:

    >On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:11:35 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    >>of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>
    >>>Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:34:12 -0700,
    >>>Anno Domini:

    >>>Yeah, I was getting right into Sacred after I reinstalled recently with the
    >>>Plus pack...but then Guild Wars deposited itself on my hard drive >8^D
    >>
    >>I vaguely considered Guild Wars, but since I have less than zero
    >>interest in PVP there didn't seem to be much point.
    >>
    >>Yeah I know it has PVE stuff at the start but the whole end-game seems
    >>to be based on PVP.
    >
    >That doesn't seem to be vastly different from most of the games out there.

    And that's why i've had very little interest in most of them.
    Any game that requires me to "camp" for a spawn of a particular critter
    is not going to get my interest or money.

    Any game that substitutes pvp for content or in any way tries to force
    me to engage in pvp is not going to get my interest or money.

    >I've pretty much given up on MMORPG until they can find some other way of
    >keeping me hooked than the level treadmill. I've pretty much had enough of
    >doing the same things over and over again just for one more level. I don't
    >play single player RPGs that way.

    Bingo. It's a pity so much of the online worlds substitute console
    style repetition instead of real content. (I say console style as in
    the "save point" type nonsense where you are forced to repeat a level
    over and over again until you get through - nothing but a time sink to
    disguise a lack of real content.)

    CoH held my interest for a good long while since I wasn't forced to team
    up nor to do pvp. But in the end the developers started making far too
    many changes so that the game I was playing was no longer as fun as the
    game I bought a year before.

    I wonder when the next "out of the box" MMORPG will come along, and how
    long it will be before it's devs start changing things to put themselves
    in the same box as EQ and the rest.

    I play a game to play the game, not to sit around and socialize for
    hours waiting for a game event to happen.

    If I wanted that i'd be on IRC or ICQ or something, not in a pay-to-play
    game.

    Xocyll
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 11 Aug
    2005 00:57:01 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>>Note: don't get tricked into letting someone run you to Droknars Forge
    >>>from Beacons, that's the most popular way of bypassing the remaining
    >>>4/5ths of the PvE campaign, and it WILL spoil your game.
    >>
    >>I was gonna do a suicide run down myself, but I won't now ;-)
    >
    >No harm in trying - I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say you're
    >extremely unlikely to get through. It's real hard.
    >
    >>>Once you've ascended your character however, do consider spending a
    >>>couple of thousand gold to pay someone to run from Beacons to Droknar
    >>>- the runners are amazingly skilled players, and it's a real treat
    >>>watching them.
    >>
    >>When I've 'ascended' (presumably near endgame when I'm 20th?), why can't I
    >>run it myself? :-/
    >
    >You should definitely try, it's quite a challenge. Basically you need
    >to be a warrior-monk with the right set of skills, and you need to
    >know the way. I've tried, for fun, a couple of times, and the best
    >I've ever managed was about half way.

    Ok, but don't you get zoned to Droknar's/Sth Shiverpeaks area just by
    completing the storyline missions anyway, at some point towards the endgame?
    :-/ So why would people bother 'running' from Beacon's Perch down to Camp
    Rankor, unless there are Elites or Collectors of note along the way...?

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

    (Droknars)
    >>>When I've 'ascended' (presumably near endgame when I'm 20th?), why can't I
    >>>run it myself? :-/
    >>
    >>You should definitely try, it's quite a challenge. ---

    >Ok, but don't you get zoned to Droknar's/Sth Shiverpeaks area just by
    >completing the storyline missions anyway, at some point towards the endgame?

    Yes.

    >:-/ So why would people bother 'running' from Beacon's Perch down to Camp
    >Rankor, unless there are Elites or Collectors of note along the way...?

    It's a shortcut to the end. By paying a runner to run you to Droknars
    you simply skip more than half the PvE campaign.

    The chief reasons people pay to get run to Droknars at low level are
    1) to get endgame gear, especially armor and skills, which makes the
    first 3/4 or so of the PvE campaign easy and lets them easily gank
    'legitimate' players in the low-level PvP arenas in Ascalon and Yaks
    Bend, and
    2) because they don't know any better. I've personally met a small
    band of lvl **2** guys in Droknars, coached & rushed there by
    high-level guild mates who didn't care about PvE and just wanted them
    to capture a couple of skills so they could make themselves useful in
    PvP. Which they wont anyway, as they had no clue how to play.
    The poor bastards were asking questions like "how do I use runes",
    "what does it mean when a weapon is blue" and "where can I get quests"
    in what's effectively the endgame.

    Personally I think the whole 'running to droknars' craze is a result
    of that in other MMORPGs the lower levels is just something you should
    pass as quickly as possible to get to the interesting content, but in
    GW those lower levels IS the game. That, and that many PvP-only
    players hate PvE and view the PvE campaign as nothing but an obstacle
    or, at best, a tutorial for PvP.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 11 Aug
    2005 12:44:35 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >Personally I think the whole 'running to droknars' craze is a result
    >of that in other MMORPGs the lower levels is just something you should
    >pass as quickly as possible to get to the interesting content, but in
    >GW those lower levels IS the game. That, and that many PvP-only
    >players hate PvE and view the PvE campaign as nothing but an obstacle
    >or, at best, a tutorial for PvP.

    Tx MC. Must try the PvP soon, if only to get my ass handed to me, he he. Are
    there games organised for just standard 20th PvP characters with nothing
    unlocked?

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:00:17 -0700,
    Anno Domini:

    >I play a game to play the game, not to sit around and socialize for
    >hours waiting for a game event to happen.
    >
    >If I wanted that i'd be on IRC or ICQ or something, not in a pay-to-play
    >game.
    >
    >Xocyll

    Or UseNet...;-p *duck*

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:00:17 -0700,
    >Anno Domini:
    >
    >>I play a game to play the game, not to sit around and socialize for
    >>hours waiting for a game event to happen.
    >>
    >>If I wanted that i'd be on IRC or ICQ or something, not in a pay-to-play
    >>game.
    >>
    >>Xocyll
    >
    >Or UseNet...;-p *duck*

    Usenet isn't exactly "real time" though. IRC/ICQ/whatever support
    actual conversations much as you would have sitting in a game.

    Xocyll
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:59 -0700,
    >Anno Domini:
    >
    >>Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    >>of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >><snip>
    >>>& that a significant
    >>>portion of it has been designed from the ground up to be PvP.
    >>
    >>This is exactly why I've had no real interest in it.
    >>
    >>At least the games where pvp seems almost like an afterthought for
    >>high-end content you have a PVE oriented game until the high-end.
    >>
    >>Designed for pvp on the other hand not only implies that the pve
    >>experience will likely be limited it also implies it won't ever change
    >>since pvp is the focus of the game.
    >>
    >>Xocyll
    >
    >It doesn't seem to be that way. As I said, 20-40 hrs of PvE content which
    >*will be* expanded on soon is not bad for AU$70 online imo (I paid $100 for
    >that treadmill software...what's it called again...that's right - EQ2! ;-).

    I don't get into treadmill games so I just skipped EQ and eq2, although
    from all accounts eq2 is far more soloable.
    I refuse to play games where my progress depends on anything but me
    playing the game. If it _requires_ other people in order for me to
    progress, I won't be buying it.

    >And I did say "a significant portion" - the other half is a well designed
    >PvE game imo. That's the point - it plays equally well as both games. I feel
    >compelled to explore the PvP component for 2 reasons:
    >
    >1. It's only consentual (the whole PvP game is)

    Well that's good.
    My one fear was that since this is made by guys who were Diablo
    designers that the same "pk friendly" environment D2 had would be in
    force.

    >2. there is no permanent (or even long term) penalty for losing in PvP

    Well that's good
    , I guess.
    >3. In spite of 2 above, it's still hugely addictive to 100s of 1000s of
    >players...there must be something there at least worth investigating

    Yeah but, 100s and 1000s of people listen to Brittany Spears too, it
    doesn't make me want to. Popular doesn't necessarily equal good, and
    more importantly, popular sure doesn't mean _I_ will like it -
    especially with a good chunk of the online population being attention
    deficient, spelling challenged teenagers.

    >4. A lot of the 'unlocks' you come across in the PvE component are for PvP
    >skills & items - it seems a waste not to use them after all that hard work
    >:)

    I really mean it when I say I have zero interest in pvp.

    >Honestly X, if nothing else this game is the prettiest thing I've ever seen
    >(except maybe EQ2 running on a Cray2010), & it's completely *free* after
    >initial purchase. It looks to be a year at least b4 the 1st expansion comes
    >out which they absolutely state won't make non-expansion players/characters
    >redundant. Even if it wasn't true, a year of quality gameplay at that price
    >is something most mmogs don't offer even at a monthly fee.

    Having spent a little time looking at the guild wars online manual, I'll
    admit i'm tempted.

    I miss CoH, both the customizability and the chance to group without
    being forced to group, so another dialup friendly online game could be
    good.
    Having seen mean_chlorine's pic of his mesmer, it looks like the
    characters do have a pretty good amount of detail to them.

    I kind of like the idea that you can only take so many skills with you
    on a mission, and the skill capturing thing sounds pretty neat.
    [Vaguely similar to Sacred's ability slots, so while you have lots of
    abilities/spells, you only have 5 slots max for immediate access to
    things, so it won't be that much of a stretch.]

    Now the big question is, can you make cute waifish characters, or are
    all the females Baywatch wannabe's? [*Cough* Silicon Elemental?}

    Xocyll

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games Product