accessories

Captain

Anyone ever really looked at the price of accessories and wonder why they
are so high, it's amazing the ripoff that they are when considered what the
cost is on them. Go into a wireless store once or anywhere with cell
accessories and ask how much it really costs them, fun to watch the
expression on their face.

Capt.

"Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
> Anyone ever really looked at the price of accessories and wonder why they
> are so high, it's amazing the ripoff that they are when considered what
the
> cost is on them. Go into a wireless store once or anywhere with cell
> accessories and ask how much it really costs them, fun to watch the
> expression on their face.
>

> Capt.

There are a number of reasons why some accessories are more expensive that
similar kinds of accessories. Those accessory manufacturers that work with,
designed to work and are authorized by the OEMs (phone manufacturers).
Salaries for these folks are a lot more, than those at the knock-off
manufacturers. The knock-off manufacturers do not spend much, if any on
engineering & design, or use the same quality materials that the OEM
accessory manufacturers do.

Take for example the number of posts across the newsgroups about battery
charging complaints. Many a folk have complained about the inability to
maintain full battery power after an overnight charge. The problem lies with
the knock-off battery chargers.

Or, how about those knock-off batteries made for the Nokias, that are well
known to overheat, and worse ... explode.

Or, how about those phone covers where they start to wear out, threads
coming out etc. Less quality on those cheaper brands.

Granted, there is big difference between OEMs and the knock offs, but you
get what you pay for ... and after buying after market batteries that won't
hold the same charge, I know the difference.

Bob

Captain

Bob,

Good points, but you forgot about the part about the cost of a leather case
is around $1.25 & they sell them for around $20-$25 or more. THat's a hell
of a mark up whether it is OEM or not. Knowing this info is what makes it
hard to but accessories from somewhere when the markup is so high.

Capt.

In article <1095lnie28rcf3@corp.supernews.com>,
"Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote:

> Anyone ever really looked at the price of accessories and wonder why they
> are so high, it's amazing the ripoff that they are when considered what the
> cost is on them. Go into a wireless store once or anywhere with cell
> accessories and ask how much it really costs them, fun to watch the
> expression on their face.
>

> Capt.

With Sanyo phones, one just heads to their neighborhood Target store,
and goes to the electronic department. There Sanyo/GE accessories are
sold, at less than half the price of what SprintPCS charges for very
similar products.

> Bob,
>
> Good points, but you forgot about the part about the cost of a leather
case
> is around $1.25 & they sell them for around $20-$25 or more. THat's a hell
> of a mark up whether it is OEM or not. Knowing this info is what makes it
> hard to but accessories from somewhere when the markup is so high.
>
> Capt.

Thanks, but there's more than the cost of manufacture, whether its by the
OEM, or a knock off company. You've got additional expenses of the mfc's
facility, packaging & shipping by the mfc along with bump up in price for a
profit to the manufacturer which increases the cost. Then stocking expenses
(floor space, employee's time etc), and then another boost to add some
profit.

Bob

TRENDING THREADS