Sign in with
Your question

Internet Connection Slow on New computer and fast on old laptop?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 9, 2012 8:35:01 PM

I just put together a new build, my motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth z77 with integrated Intel Network interface.

After installing Windows 7 Pro and populating my HD with the normal games and programs I usually run I decided to test my connection speed on speedtest.net ..... I was shocked to see a barley got even 4Mbps/down and .67 up.

My Connecton is usually 23Mbps down and change (I pay for 24) and 4 Mbps up. So I ran the speed test with my laptop, sure enough it was running at normal speed but my new build is not.

I tried internet connection optimize in System Mechanic, and that did not have any affect on performance.

Anyone have an idea where I should start?
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2012 12:02:31 AM

I have a suggestion for you. Boot off of an Ubuntu or Fedora liveCD. Then run the internet speed test. try both speedtest.net as well as speakeasy.net

If you get correct speeds you will know it has something to do with the windows configuration or possibly the driver for the ethernet adaptor. If you continue getting the same speed while booting from the liveCD then you know it is a hardware issue.
m
l
June 10, 2012 12:35:32 AM

Thank you for the response, I am downloading Ubuntu and making a boot CD I will report back with the results.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2012 1:27:11 AM

nhasian said:
I have a suggestion for you. Boot off of an Ubuntu or Fedora liveCD. Then run the internet speed test. try both speedtest.net as well as speakeasy.net

If you get correct speeds you will know it has something to do with the windows configuration or possibly the driver for the ethernet adaptor. If you continue getting the same speed while booting from the liveCD then you know it is a hardware issue.

Ok, I have booted from the Ubuntu CD and ran the speed test in there and sure enough my speeds are fast and back to normal.

I am going to try uninstalling my ethernet driver, rebooting then reinstalling it. If that doesnt do it... I am not sure what to do :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2012 1:51:31 AM

it the intel safty software that loaded with the ethernet drivers. I have the same board it a know issue over on rog forum. go into add and remove program you see it under programs intel network safty or intel safe surfing. uninstall that and your speed will be back to where it should be.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:55:33 AM

I will bet that it's one of the ASUS utilities as I had exactly the same problem. d/l were around normal, but u/l were shocking (about 300k instead of 5MB).

In the ASUS aiSuite disable the one called Network Icontrol. Mine worked fine afterwards.

m
l
June 10, 2012 2:03:28 AM

hey both you guys thanks, it is back to normal now!

This is what I did:

uninstalled the intel drivers for the network card. Looked up the exact model that is on the sabertooth and downloaded the updated driver.

I restarted a couple times and Win 7 finally stopped reinstalling the old driver.

From there I installed the updated driver and BAM.. back in business.

Thank you guys for responding.
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:11:10 AM

I am still struggling with the slow internet connection issue on the Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, even with the Asus Inetwork control turned off. I have gone out and bought a new Lan card and still no help.

The strange thing is when I do speedtest (on speedtest.net) its quite fast (100mbps down/80mbps up), but when I actually put it to use with softwares that require fast internet connections, the speed never exceeds 2mbps download (this is after testing it on multiple softwares...etc including something as simple as watching youtube video on my browser -- very very slow speed). I have another older computer connected the same way to the router and no issues with internet speed whatsoever. I have updated the Lan driver already and still no help. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:23:18 PM

nhasian said:

Hi, I boot off Fedora LiveCD and my internet connection speed has no problems anymore. Going back to Windows 7, disabled Asus AISuite II's Network iControl, updated the LAN card driver, problem remains (upload speed never exceeds 2mbps). Is anyone experiencing this? Thanks.
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:28:29 PM

awhlui said:
Hi, I boot off Fedora LiveCD and my internet connection speed has no problems anymore. Going back to Windows 7, disabled Asus AISuite II's Network iControl, updated the LAN card driver, problem remains (upload speed never exceeds 2mbps). Is anyone experiencing this? Thanks.

Make SURE the old driver is uninstalled. Just removing it isnt enough because windows will try to reinstall it again if it recognizes the hardware.
m
l
!