What's bubbling up the pipeline?

I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
available now. I liked Vampire: Bloodlines, but that is the last one to
come out in a while and I don't know of any new ones being worked on.

It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
Fallout III was cancelled. :^/

What gives? Why the dearth of CRPGs? ARE there any titles to look
forward to in the next year? I've been enjoying the NWN series (in the
first third of SoU now and it blows the original campaign out of the
water), which I never got into back in the day because my computer at
the time wasn't really up to par for the game. However, I know they
won't last forever, and there is something sad and forlorn about getting
my gaming fix from a game that is fairly old, and not seeing anything
new in the future.

And WILL there EVER be a Fallout III? Dare I hope?

- Ron ^*^

In article <n2YHe.64672$FP2.36407@lakeread03>,
Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

>I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
>veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
>available now. I liked Vampire: Bloodlines, but that is the last one to
>come out in a while and I don't know of any new ones being worked on.

I know of only 3 RPGs in progress that I'm even remotely interested in:
Gothic III, TES: Oblivion, and Neverwinter Nights 2. (And I'm only
interested in NWN2 because the lead designer was a good friend back when
I was in college.)

It's slim pickins for single-player CRPGs these days and that's no lie.

I'm thinking of getting another hobby. (Actually I think I already have.)

--
Kyle Haight

not one CRPG whatsoever has me even remotely interested. The only game
that has me *really* interested is City of Villains, and that's because
I loved City of Heroes and left when I shouldn't have.
Other games where I have some interest are D&D Online and Vanguard:
Saga of Heroes (I know, all MMORPGs)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:51:15 -0400, Werebat wrote:

> It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
> Fallout III was cancelled. :^/

It hasn't been cancelled, as far as I know. Before it is released, the US
version of "The Fall" should hit the shelves, which I think will be quite
liked by Fallout fans.

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:51:15 -0400, Werebat wrote:
>

>>It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
>>Fallout III was cancelled. :^/
>

> It hasn't been cancelled, as far as I know.

It's been picked up again? The last I heard was Van Buren (FO3) got
cancelled.

Where can I read more?

> Before it is released, the US
> version of "The Fall" should hit the shelves, which I think will be quite
> liked by Fallout fans.

Where can I learn about this?

- Ron ^*^

The new one that Bioware's working on, "Dragon Age" or something like that,
looks kinda cool. That company's got a good track record, so I figure the
game'll be decent.

Werebat wrote:
> I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
> veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
> available now. I liked Vampire: Bloodlines, but that is the last one to
> come out in a while and I don't know of any new ones being worked on.
>
> It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
> Fallout III was cancelled. :^/
>
> What gives? Why the dearth of CRPGs? ARE there any titles to look
> forward to in the next year? I've been enjoying the NWN series (in the
> first third of SoU now and it blows the original campaign out of the
> water), which I never got into back in the day because my computer at
> the time wasn't really up to par for the game. However, I know they
> won't last forever, and there is something sad and forlorn about getting
> my gaming fix from a game that is fairly old, and not seeing anything
> new in the future.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is coming out soon. Possibly as early as
November/December. That should be a good one.

Werebat wrote:
> wolfing wrote:
>
> > not one CRPG whatsoever has me even remotely interested. The only game
> > that has me *really* interested is City of Villains, and that's because
> > I loved City of Heroes and left when I shouldn't have.
> > Other games where I have some interest are D&D Online and Vanguard:
> > Saga of Heroes (I know, all MMORPGs)
>
> Yes, City of Heroes seems to have ushered in the "Age of MMORPGs", for
> better or worse. I liked CoH a lot, too, but the rinse-lather-repeat of
> it got downright tedious after a while (beautiful graphics, though). It
> seems like developers are having a field day with this new technology,
> which is great, but there are some great reasons why I prefer CRPGs.

I always thought Everquest started it.

> You don't have to compete with 12-year-olds and Welfare cases who have
> nothing else to do with their time than PL their toons 24/7, for
> example. And when the baby needs a diaper change or some other domestic
> emergency happens, you can just *pause* a CRPG. And CRPGs can actually
> have plotlines, dialogues, and characterization. And so on. I'm
> preaching to the choir, I'm sure.

MUDs are even worse.

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:51:15 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

>I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
>veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
>available now. I liked Vampire: Bloodlines, but that is the last one to
>come out in a while and I don't know of any new ones being worked on.
>
>It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
>Fallout III was cancelled. :^/

Cancelled?

Bethesda don't want to say more than that they're working on it, but
they certainly haven't issued any press releases announcing a
cancellation.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:43:38 -0400, Werebat wrote:

> It's been picked up again? The last I heard was Van Buren (FO3) got
> cancelled.

Hmm, I didn't hear anything from Bethesda about cancelling the game .. last
I heard was something about a 2006 release. Then again, the most recent
press release I am aware of is one year old:

http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071204.htm

Wikipedia doesn't have newer information, either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

> Where can I learn about this?

The Fall is developed by the German company Silver Style, and was released
in Germany last November. It was rather buggy and they kept working on it
religiously, eventually releasing a solid, enjoyable "extended version" a
few months ago. The US version is scheduled for release later this year.
They won't say more than "after August".

English, official forum (fairly active):
http://www.silver-style.com/forum/index.php?c=4

Screenshots of The Fall:
http://www.silver-style.com/e/galerie/e_thefall_g.html

Overview of the game features:
http://www.silver-style.com/e/games/e_thefall.html

I play this in German and I'm actually quite impressed with it so far.
Plenty of freedom, relatively non-linear, the tweaked interface is fairly
good. Weapon balance still leaves something to be desired, but the next
patch will address that. International users will basically get the
finished, balanced product, while the German gamers got to beta-test it. :/
Still, it's turned out nicely after the initial disaster.

No multiplayer mode is planned, but an add-on is in the works.

M.

wolfing wrote:

> not one CRPG whatsoever has me even remotely interested. The only game
> that has me *really* interested is City of Villains, and that's because
> I loved City of Heroes and left when I shouldn't have.
> Other games where I have some interest are D&D Online and Vanguard:
> Saga of Heroes (I know, all MMORPGs)

Yes, City of Heroes seems to have ushered in the "Age of MMORPGs", for
better or worse. I liked CoH a lot, too, but the rinse-lather-repeat of
it got downright tedious after a while (beautiful graphics, though). It
seems like developers are having a field day with this new technology,
which is great, but there are some great reasons why I prefer CRPGs.
You don't have to compete with 12-year-olds and Welfare cases who have
nothing else to do with their time than PL their toons 24/7, for
example. And when the baby needs a diaper change or some other domestic
emergency happens, you can just *pause* a CRPG. And CRPGs can actually
have plotlines, dialogues, and characterization. And so on. I'm
preaching to the choir, I'm sure.

I don't think I will buy CoV, simply because I see it as being more of
the same that I saw in CoH. I got Doctor Gamma (Rad/Rad Defender) up to
40th level on Infinity server, and that was enough for me.

DDO I may check out, as Eberron intrigues me... But they got rid of my
three favorite races in the setting (Gnomes, Changelings, and Shifters)
as PC options, so I'm a little disappointed already.

- Ron ^*^

kasper

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:22:27 +0200, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It's been picked up again? The last I heard was Van Buren (FO3) got
>> cancelled.
>
>Hmm, I didn't hear anything from Bethesda about cancelling the game .. last
>I heard was something about a 2006 release. Then again, the most recent
>press release I am aware of is one year old:

He's talking about Van Buren (Fallout 3 working title), which was
cancelled after being approx. halfway done. That was before Bethesda
picked up the license. Supposedly Bethesda are now starting their
Fallout 3 from scratch.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1594

http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/index.php?cat=6

http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallout3/

--
Kasper

Kasper wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:22:27 +0200, Michael Vondung
> <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>It's been picked up again? The last I heard was Van Buren (FO3) got
>>>cancelled.
>>
>>Hmm, I didn't hear anything from Bethesda about cancelling the game .. last
>>I heard was something about a 2006 release. Then again, the most recent
>>press release I am aware of is one year old:
>

> He's talking about Van Buren (Fallout 3 working title), which was
> cancelled after being approx. halfway done. That was before Bethesda
> picked up the license. Supposedly Bethesda are now starting their
> Fallout 3 from scratch.
>
> http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1594
>
> http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/index.php?cat=6
>
> http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallout3/

Well... It's good to hear that FO3 is being made!

Although I'm a little leery, since the last game I played that got
picked up by another company was none other than Star Control III. :^/

- Ron ^*^

>DDO I may check out, as Eberron intrigues me... But they got rid of my three favorite races in the >setting (Gnomes, Changelings, and Shifters) as PC options, so I'm a little disappointed already.

They are only missing for the initial release, they will be added into
the game at some point after launch, along with druids and monks.

Alex Mars wrote:
>>DDO I may check out, as Eberron intrigues me... But they got rid of my three favorite races in the >setting (Gnomes, Changelings, and Shifters) as PC options, so I'm a little disappointed already.
>

> They are only missing for the initial release, they will be added into
> the game at some point after launch, along with druids and monks.

Read: Gnomes first, then Mmmaybe Changelings and Shifters, in the fourth
or fifth major revision.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> once tried to test me with:

>> He's talking about Van Buren (Fallout 3 working title), which was
>> cancelled after being approx. halfway done. That was before Bethesda
>> picked up the license. Supposedly Bethesda are now starting their
>> Fallout 3 from scratch.
>>
>> http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1594
>>
>> http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/index.php?cat=6
>>
>> http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallout3/
>
> Well... It's good to hear that FO3 is being made!
>
> Although I'm a little leery, since the last game I played that got
> picked up by another company was none other than Star Control III. :^/

I think you have good reason to be leery. Personally I do not expect
Bethesda's Fallout 3 to be anything remotely like Fallout other than the
name. That doesn't mean it won't be a good game, because it might be, but
I'm just not expecting it to really be a true Fallout 3.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>>> He's talking about Van Buren (Fallout 3 working title), which was
>>> cancelled after being approx. halfway done. That was before Bethesda
>>> picked up the license. Supposedly Bethesda are now starting their
>>> Fallout 3 from scratch.
>>>
>>> http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1594
>>>
>>> http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/index.php?cat=6
>>>
>>> http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallout3/
>>
>> Well... It's good to hear that FO3 is being made!
>>
>> Although I'm a little leery, since the last game I played that got
>> picked up by another company was none other than Star Control III. :^/
>>

> I think you have good reason to be leery. Personally I do not expect
> Bethesda's Fallout 3 to be anything remotely like Fallout other than the
> name. That doesn't mean it won't be a good game, because it might be, but
> I'm just not expecting it to really be a true Fallout 3.

from what I've read, it's not going to be top-down isometric.... well,
that's prettymuch "not fallout" then. They've also said they are going to
stick with technology they are already developing and what they do best
(meaning first person).

And you're right - it might be a good game and worthy of the name "Fallout",
but it won't be "fallout 3"

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote on 03 elo 2005:

> not one CRPG whatsoever has me even remotely interested.

At this time, among all the games I am aware of being in development,
I only intend to buy one: Neverwinter Nights 2. I'd buy City of
Villains, Matrix Online and D&D Online if they weren't MMORPGs.

I'd buy more games but it's pretty slim pickings on the superhero and
D&D fronts.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

> I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
> veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
> available now.
"golden age" in mid-nineties? I think that was the worst drought in CRPG
between something like 93 and 98. Early nineties produced a lot of
classics, such as Wizardry 7, BaK and others, but in mid-nineties there was
virtually nothing until release of Baldur's Gate (in 98?) which has
reanimated the genre. I hope that the current drought will be over soon
(but it doesn't seem as bad as it was in mid-nineties).

Alex.

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:06:23 GMT,
QQalextiQQ@videotron.few.useless.chars.ca (alexti) wrote:

>BaK and others, but in mid-nineties there was
>virtually nothing until release of Baldur's Gate (in 98?) which has
>reanimated the genre. I hope that the current drought will be over soon
>(but it doesn't seem as bad as it was in mid-nineties).

BG ushered in the "golden age" of the late 90's. That golden age, has
given way to the medieval age of RPG's for PC.

There are 4 games coming out that I know of that are pure RPG's for
PC: Fallout 3, NWN 2, and ES4: Oblivion, and Dargon Age. PC has
become the platform Strategy, Realtime Strategy, FPS's and MMORPG's.

Most other RPG releases seem to be manga/anime influnenced products
for consoles.

Well, City of Villains would be perfect for me if it was 'just more of
the same', but actually it has more things like villains designing and
building your base, and then (I guess optionally) heroes coming to try
to take you. Sounds like a lot of fun.
City of Heroes was my perfect game for the following reasons:
- RPG
- no loot
- super fun
- instanced adventures
- no PvP
- did I say it's super fun?

City of Villains can't come soon enough!

<hayes13@fadmail.com> wrote in message

> Werebat wrote:
> > I'm not industry insider, but it seems like the mid-late nineties were a
> > veritable "golden age" for PC-CRPGs when compared to the dearth of them
> > available now. I liked Vampire: Bloodlines, but that is the last one to
> > come out in a while and I don't know of any new ones being worked on.
> >
> > It almost feels like "the day the music died" was when I heard that
> > Fallout III was cancelled. :^/
> >
> > What gives? Why the dearth of CRPGs? ARE there any titles to look
> > forward to in the next year? I've been enjoying the NWN series (in the
> > first third of SoU now and it blows the original campaign out of the
> > water), which I never got into back in the day because my computer at
> > the time wasn't really up to par for the game. However, I know they
> > won't last forever, and there is something sad and forlorn about getting
> > my gaming fix from a game that is fairly old, and not seeing anything
> > new in the future.
> >

> Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is coming out soon. Possibly as early as
> November/December. That should be a good one.

Yeah,
I just finally picked up Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
I haven't played a RPG since Wizardry VII, look forward to getting into this
one (I also picked up Wizardry VIII).
They ought to be out with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, get the bugs worked
out, then I'll be ready for it.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> writes:

> I don't think he likes you, Ron.

I think Bateau just needs a hug.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

wolfing wrote:

> Well, City of Villains would be perfect for me if it was 'just more of
> the same', but actually it has more things like villains designing and
> building your base, and then (I guess optionally) heroes coming to try
> to take you. Sounds like a lot of fun.
> City of Heroes was my perfect game for the following reasons:
> - RPG

Huh? I guess in the sense that you gain XP and powers, yes.

> - no loot

More or less true (you can still find training).

> - super fun

True until the rinse-lather-repeat makes you feel like Waldorf and
Statler -- "Why do we always come here? I guess we'll never know..."

Going from level 35-40 wasn't so much "fun" as "tedious". I'm told
40-50 was even worse.

> - instanced adventures
> - no PvP
> - did I say it's super fun?
>
> City of Villains can't come soon enough!

I hope you enjoy it.

- Ron ^*^