2 ip, 1 network

rafatutihashi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi,

I live in Brazil and in order to have US content on my network like Hulu, I need to have a VPN, the one I use is Astrill.

Here I have an internet connection of 20 MB, and 2 routers, one for my local IP and another one connected to Astrill with my US IP, the hardware I have are these:

ASUS N66U with DD-WRT 18946 v24-sp2 mega connected to Astrill
Airport Extreme (with my Brazilian IP)

Now the problem is that I have a 20Mb speed on my Airport extreme and around 4Mb speed on my ASUS when connected to the VPN and I have 2 wifi networks.

I have connected to the networks my TV, AppleTV, PS3, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 1 macbook pro.

Is there anyway to have the IP address from Astrill (US IP) and the speed of my local network in only 1 network (wifi or cable)?

Thanks in advance,

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. I assume you have the dd-wrt router's WAN configured w/ PPTP, and patched to a LAN port on the Airport. And so you have two networks, each w/ wifi. And you then connect your devices that need the US IP to the dd-wrt router. I also assume the 4Mbps limit is a function of the VPN, not the dd-wrt router itself.

So you want all the devices on one network?? And somehow they all have the speed of the Airport (20Mbps)?? How is that possible if some need to use the VPN? Do you want these VPN users to use the VPN sometimes and not other times?? I’m just not getting it.

rafatutihashi

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

My ISP is connected to the wan port of the Airport so here I have my local IP network; My DD-WRT's WAN is connected to a LAN port of the Airport configured with PPTP, the DD-WRT connects to my VPN and from this router I have my second network. The device that I need the american IP are connected to DD-WRT (the one I use the most is the appleTV).

My Airport gets a internet connection of around 20 Mbps (generally ranging from 17-20 Mbps); My DD-WRT gets a connection of around 4 Mbps.

I have asked my VPN provider (Astrill) if they limit the speed, the answer was that they don't limit. Actually I used to have a worse connection (around 2-3 Mbps) with another router, then I purchased the one I use now (ASUS RT N66U) that has a better hardware configuration and it improved my speed. When I connect through my notebook, I get even a faster connection (around 8Mbps). So I guess the factors that limits my connection are: the router hardware, the distance from the server.

Here I am with a connection of 4Mbps that not always I can get Hulu delivered correctly and the movies that I rent on appleTV takes very long time to download.

My question is how can I improve my VPN internet connection? Is there any way for me to have the US IP with my local speed? Or at least a speed around 10Mbps? If I use a dual wan router can it combine the US IP and the local internet speed? Do you suggest any other configuration?