Minimize Windows 7 Ultimate/(Professional?) Fresh Install Size

bigdrizzle13

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
First post on here, but have been reading this forum for years.

I have just completed a custom PC build, and am looking to install windows 7 with a the smallest size possible. Here are the machine specs:

Asus Sabertooth x79
Intel i7 - 3820
32 gb (8 x 4gb) GSkill 1866 MHz Ram
MSI Factory OC GTX 670
Samsung 830 128 GB SSD

As you can see, my SSD is not huge by any means. I have tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate on a few different machines (including this one), and it uses around 50 gb! I have no idea how it manages to consume 50 gb of my 128gb SSD considering the install is coming from only a 4.7 gb DVD. I am looking to reduce the install size of Windows 7, using either professional or ultimate. I use very few features in Windows 7, and I would be completely content with windows 7 basic, but it cannot utilize all of my RAM.

If anyone can suggest ways to reduce this install size. I do not really know the feature differences between ultimate and professional, but I am pretty sure I would not use them. Does professional use a smaller kernel size, or should I stick with ultimate? Is there actually a way to strip down features (that i will never ever use)? If there is a way, is this strip down during installation or after? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not necessarily looking for a quick and easy fix to this. If it means getting my hand dirty with some hax, that is fine too.

Abhijitkn

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I'm a bit amazed that you chose to have 32gb ram rather than a higher capacity ssd.. Say 240gb
Anyway your choice..Do you utilize the 32gb for your typical work?.. Guess ssds might have been expensive back then..