  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 6, 2005 1:17:14 AM

No one mentioned it yet?

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ds2/

More about : dungeon siege demo

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:17:15 AM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:17:14 +1000, Rab <compex@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>No one mentioned it yet?
>
>http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ds2/

1.4GB? For that much bandwidth I not only want the full warezed version
but it better unzip my pants and blow me as well.

/still shocked that Mechwarrior II took 200MB to install.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
August 6, 2005 1:17:15 AM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:17:14 +1000, Rab <compex@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>No one mentioned it yet?

I have only played it for about 10 minutes, but am not impressed so
far. Unlike most people around here, I enjoyed DS(1) and played it
through to the end, but DS2 feels a lot more like a console arcade RPG
and seems to have lost the atmosphere of DS1.
August 6, 2005 1:17:15 AM

Rab wrote:
> No one mentioned it yet?
>
> http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ds2/

That's because I played it a few weeks ago when it was on the PC Gamer
DVD I got in the mail...
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:17:15 AM

SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE DEMO. I spoil certain plot details of the demo
below.

The demo is pretty good. For one thing, it starts you off in 800x600
mode for the default so be sure to go change your graphics settings. I
bumped it up to 1280x1024 and it looked much nicer. The textures
though, still look kind of muddy for some reason. For whatever reason
the graphics in DS2 just don't look as crisp and clean as DS1's
graphics. In some ways they are better (more polys on the characters I
believe), and maybe it's just the opening areas, but overall I was not
blown away by graphics like I would have expected to be, since DS1 was
ahead of it's time graphically I guess I thought DS2 would follow in
that tradition. But, graphics, of course, aren't everything.

I played through the first little bit where you're a mercenary working
for the army of the Big Bad. I think the opening movies with the
dragons carrying the troop transports was pretty sweet. I like the fact
that you start the game off on the "wrong" side, that's an interesting
twist.

I am only just now getting the mission as the slave to go and destroy
the towers of the invaders, and just kind of starting out there. I'm
playing a half-giant melee type character and I'm having problems not
having enough healing potions it seems. DS2 is much, much more action
oriented than DS1. There is no "set the orders and then watch what
happens" in this game. You have to actively seek out targets and press
the right mouse button to attack them, and it seems to me that even
though holding the RMB down on an enemy makes you attack continuously,
it seems to be more responsive if you just keep pounding RMB on the
baddies. But maybe I'm just imagining that.

Your henchmen seem to be brain dead. For example, in the opening
sequence, I had a magic-using character helping me out, but when he ran
out of mana he would just stand around instead of switching to melee.
So I would have to switch him to melee myself, or sometimes I'd just
press "M" to have him quaff a mana potion so he could keep blasting.
The good news is that magic seemed to be very powerful, his fire bolts
were killing the baddies quickly and at range. The reason I picked a
melee character is so that I could "tank" for my henchmen who will be
ranged attackers (magic, or bow). Plus that way I could hopefully
control aggro that way. I'm hoping I can find some better armor soon,
because now I'm just soaking up damage like a sponge and can't last too
long against multiple opponents.

Music was more Jeremy Soul remixes of the themes from DS1, it all
sounded very good and somewhat familiar. Sound effects are decent.
Voice acting so far has been decent, but nothing terribly great. The
"queen bitch of the universe" that is your jailor once you get captured
had a lot of lines where she was supposed to sound "cold" and pissed
off at you, but her lines, delivered one line per click as most RPGs
do, just didn't flow that well. But not terrible either, I haven't
encountered any voice acting that was overly annoying or sounding like
programmers did it. Overall sound has been as good as DS1, maybe
better.

Story wise, this game has a better story than DS1. Lets face it, DS1's
story was a flimsy excuse to send you through hordes and hordes of
monsters, and hell if I could actually figure out what was happening.
In the first 2 hours of DS2, however, not only does your character
witness a major event with the Big Bad, but his best friend gets
whacked, and your character gets taken prisoner, and essentially you
switch sides. Oh yeah, and you rescue some people and win over some of
your capturers so they think you're on their side now. I mean, things
are actually happening to your character in this game, not just
wandering along a path. Although yah, there's a lot of wandering along
in this game but to me the story seems stronger. YMMV.

I guess the big question is, as always, IS IT FUN?!

For me, yeah, I was having fun with the demo. I'll probably play the
demo to the end of it, however long that is. If I'm still having fun by
the end of the demo I'll most likely get this one. After all, it's not
like we're suffering from a deluge of great RPG titles.

But, this game is not going to change your mind if you didn't like DS1,
unless your complaint was that there wasn't enough "action" because it
certainly has more of that (since the player is required to do a lot
more than just issue orders). The game does have a lot of hotkeys for
issuing orders and such, and I'm sure when I get some henchmen in my
party those will come in handy. But as it starts you off solo, it plays
a lot like Diablo II in that you have to actively click on your targets
to keep attacking (you can hold down RMB, but I've found that, like D2,
it's much more fun to just keep pounding the mouse button). If you
didn't like DS1 because there wasn't enough RPG elements, like making
choices that affect your outcome and strong dialogue, I do not think
DS2, at least, not based on the demo 2 hrs in, is going to change your
mind.

I'm hoping that like DS1, DS2 will ship with a good editor, and that a
decent mod community will evolve aroudn this title like it did for DS1.
It will be interesting to see if any mod-developers for DS1 port their
mods over to the DS2 engine, also, or if that's even going to be
feasible.

The demo is large. 1.5gb. Plus you'll need a lot of room on the HD to
install it. The EXE will extract into a temp folder eating up another
1.5gb or so, then it installs from that directory, eating up around 2gb
or so after the install. I didn't actually check the size of the demo
directory after install but I'm guestimating 2gb or so. You can of
course delete the EXE you downloaded and the temp folder where it
extracted to after you've got the demo installed, but I'd say you'll
want at least 5gb free before trying to install this demo. I noticed
that someone said the demo was on a PC Gamer disc, so if you don't have
broadband i'd recommend getting that, since downloading 1.5gb via modem
sound improbable at best. It took around 45 minutes to download it via
my cable modem from GameSpot's DLX with an average speed of about
570kb/sec.

Ok, welp, that's my 2cents on the demo.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:17:15 AM

Sleepy wrote:

> I agree - Ive played about half an hour of the demo and although the
> interface and mechanics of combat has incresed in complexity the story
> felt unoriginal.
> Ive just finished the opening section which is pure comabt and Im now in a
> village with ppl to talk to so maybe it'll improve.

That opening bit is just the tutorial, basically, apart from the end of
it which is a plot device. It was extremely easy and extremely linear,
but that was for a good reason since they were trying to introduce
players to the interface. The game opens up much more after you get to
the village.

Knight37
August 6, 2005 1:17:16 AM

news:p 3p6f1ln15bgtmduqe2s08ikh0smafgcop@4ax.com...

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> writes:

> [...] seems to have lost the atmosphere of DS1.

Wow, that's actually kind of impressive, since DS1 had no atmosphere
at all.

No offense to those who actually liked DS1, just my not-so-humble
opinion,

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

I picked up the demo as well (got it on the PC Gamer disk with the WoW 14
day free trial).

I'd never played the first game, and so the whole thing -- and the story --
was completely new to me. That being said, it sounded interesting enough,
and the tutorial level got you into the world fairly well. The intro
scene -- as Knight said -- looked fairly interesting.

In terms of action, there's a fair bit of it, and it took some work to
figure out that you had to keep clicking on things to kill them. It wasn't
as intense as X-Men: Legends (on the PS2 ... the sequel is coming out on the
PC as well as the console games) was at time, but that might just be the
demo level and I might be comparing that to later, more intense levels in
(he also did some healing) and basically he cleaned up most of the level
with me chipping in on occasion (I also took a melee-oriented half-giant
character). So the AI is certainly not all that bad, depending on what role
you put them in.

As for the cutscenes, they were okay, but I had a hard time getting around
the fact that the lips of the characters didn't move during them. It
normally does that in console action RPGs, so it disconcerted me.

My opinion -- as someone who dislikes action RPGs, note -- is that it's kind
of interesting but not a "must get". I'd probably pick it up if it was
cheap.

I got to the village and stopped with little desire to continue on.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:17:16 AM

On 5 Aug 2005 07:27:20 -0700, Knight37 wrote:

> SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE DEMO. I spoil certain plot details of the demo
> below.

Does the game feature random drops/treasure?

M.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:15:01 AM

snip

I played a magic user and had just about no trouble surviving. I had
two henchmen by the end of the demo - one a half giant standing around
near the blacksmith area I think and the other a helpful dryad who was
very good with a bow. To get the second you have to pay the innkeeper
500 of the money unit. The demo goes through the first major quest and
a couple ofminor ones. Looking at the quest journal, there are a lot
more quests to do. I think it will be a fun game to play although it
would be nice to get something that was not as much hack and slash and
a bit more "Eye of the Beholder" should anyone remember them.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:01:31 AM

Strewth and pickle me troll in a sour barrel of Dreag water!!!
this tings (a demo) is 1.4 Gigabytes size....thats easy the biggest Demo
ever..Mad
....better be good
luv mouse
@@@@@@
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:46:46 AM

Nick Vargish wrote:
> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> writes:
>
>> [...] seems to have lost the atmosphere of DS1.
>
> Wow, that's actually kind of impressive, since DS1 had no atmosphere
> at all.
>
> No offense to those who actually liked DS1, just my not-so-humble
> opinion,
>
> Nick

Heh, you beat me to that one.

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

"Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me
with:

> I got to the village and stopped with little desire to continue on.

Seems like a lot of people are blowing this off as soon as you get to the
village, which is a shame because the game doesn't really start until well
after that. The little bit before the village is just the tutorial, really.
Once you get to the village you get a quest to burn down 4 towers, and
that's when you'll start encountering worthy opponents as well as picking
up some phat lewt. I finally found my first "purple" item, which is a swank
pole arm of some sort I think that has the magic-find and +% gold and some
other nice mods. Can't wear it yet, this was DS1's problem also you'd find
gear you couldn't immediately wear a lot. But I'm only a level away from
this nice item so that's not too bad.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:34:07 AM

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 5 Aug 2005 07:27:20 -0700, Knight37 wrote:
>
>> SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE DEMO. I spoil certain plot details of the demo
>> below.
>
> Does the game feature random drops/treasure?

Yes indeedy it does. Basically Diablo II style. You'll find normal items,
you'll find items that are "enchantable" (grey colored text) which you can
load down with "reagents" (which also drops off monsters you kill or in
random chest drops) that the enchanter NPC puts on them so that they have
magical properties. You can also find blue items which would be equivalent
to a Diablo II random magic item. You also can find yellow-text "set items"
(equivalent to D2's green sets). You can find purple-text items which are
probably something akin to D2's gold-text uniques. So far I've found one
set item and one purple and couple dozen blue, and a bunch of normal junk.
That's after about 3 or 4 hours of play.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
August 6, 2005 12:15:02 PM

Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 5 Aug 2005 07:27:20 -0700, Anno
Domini:

>SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE DEMO. I spoil certain plot details of the demo
>below.
>
>The demo is pretty good. For one thing, it starts you off in 800x600
>mode for the default so be sure to go change your graphics settings. I
>bumped it up to 1280x1024 and it looked much nicer. The textures
>though, still look kind of muddy for some reason. For whatever reason
>the graphics in DS2 just don't look as crisp and clean as DS1's
>graphics. In some ways they are better (more polys on the characters I
>believe), and maybe it's just the opening areas, but overall I was not
>blown away by graphics like I would have expected to be, since DS1 was
>ahead of it's time graphically I guess I thought DS2 would follow in
>that tradition. But, graphics, of course, aren't everything.
>
>I played through the first little bit where you're a mercenary working
>for the army of the Big Bad. I think the opening movies with the
>dragons carrying the troop transports was pretty sweet. I like the fact
>that you start the game off on the "wrong" side, that's an interesting
>twist.

Kewl.

>I am only just now getting the mission as the slave to go and destroy
>the towers of the invaders, and just kind of starting out there. I'm
>playing a half-giant melee type character and I'm having problems not
>having enough healing potions it seems. DS2 is much, much more action
>oriented than DS1. There is no "set the orders and then watch what
>happens" in this game. You have to actively seek out targets and press
>the right mouse button to attack them, and it seems to me that even
>though holding the RMB down on an enemy makes you attack continuously,
>it seems to be more responsive if you just keep pounding RMB on the
>baddies. But maybe I'm just imagining that.

Great a RIGHT MB mashing game. All you OBs out there, get your
RSI/arthritis/tendonitis medication ready >;-p

>Your henchmen seem to be brain dead. For example, in the opening
>sequence, I had a magic-using character helping me out, but when he ran
>out of mana he would just stand around instead of switching to melee.
>So I would have to switch him to melee myself, or sometimes I'd just
>press "M" to have him quaff a mana potion so he could keep blasting.
>The good news is that magic seemed to be very powerful, his fire bolts
>were killing the baddies quickly and at range. The reason I picked a
>melee character is so that I could "tank" for my henchmen who will be
>ranged attackers (magic, or bow). Plus that way I could hopefully
>control aggro that way. I'm hoping I can find some better armor soon,
>because now I'm just soaking up damage like a sponge and can't last too
>long against multiple opponents.

Hmmm...has anyone tried a ranged/magic char & let the henchie manage the
aggro? That's my pref usually. GW does it admirably well.

>Music was more Jeremy Soul remixes of the themes from DS1, it all
>sounded very good and somewhat familiar. Sound effects are decent.
>Voice acting so far has been decent, but nothing terribly great. The
>"queen bitch of the universe" that is your jailor once you get captured
>had a lot of lines where she was supposed to sound "cold" and pissed
>off at you, but her lines, delivered one line per click as most RPGs
>do, just didn't flow that well. But not terrible either, I haven't
>encountered any voice acting that was overly annoying or sounding like
>programmers did it. Overall sound has been as good as DS1, maybe
>better.
>
>Story wise, this game has a better story than DS1. Lets face it, DS1's
>story was a flimsy excuse to send you through hordes and hordes of
>monsters, and hell if I could actually figure out what was happening.

DS1 has a story? :-/

>In the first 2 hours of DS2, however, not only does your character
>witness a major event with the Big Bad, but his best friend gets
>whacked, and your character gets taken prisoner, and essentially you
>switch sides. Oh yeah, and you rescue some people and win over some of
>your capturers so they think you're on their side now. I mean, things
>are actually happening to your character in this game, not just
>wandering along a path. Although yah, there's a lot of wandering along
>in this game but to me the story seems stronger. YMMV.
>
>I guess the big question is, as always, IS IT FUN?!
>
>For me, yeah, I was having fun with the demo. I'll probably play the
>demo to the end of it, however long that is. If I'm still having fun by
>the end of the demo I'll most likely get this one. After all, it's not
>like we're suffering from a deluge of great RPG titles.

Yeah. So how long was it?

>But, this game is not going to change your mind if you didn't like DS1,
>unless your complaint was that there wasn't enough "action" because it
>certainly has more of that (since the player is required to do a lot
>more than just issue orders). The game does have a lot of hotkeys for
>issuing orders and such, and I'm sure when I get some henchmen in my
>party those will come in handy. But as it starts you off solo, it plays
>a lot like Diablo II in that you have to actively click on your targets
>to keep attacking (you can hold down RMB, but I've found that, like D2,
>it's much more fun to just keep pounding the mouse button). If you
>didn't like DS1 because there wasn't enough RPG elements, like making
>choices that affect your outcome and strong dialogue, I do not think
>DS2, at least, not based on the demo 2 hrs in, is going to change your
>mind.

DS1's major failings for me were:
1. a slideshow, not a game
2. severe imbalances in the items & leveling mechanics

So it all sound good so far. How's the phat l00t K? ;-)

>I'm hoping that like DS1, DS2 will ship with a good editor, and that a
>decent mod community will evolve aroudn this title like it did for DS1.
>It will be interesting to see if any mod-developers for DS1 port their
>mods over to the DS2 engine, also, or if that's even going to be
>feasible.
>
>The demo is large. 1.5gb. Plus you'll need a lot of room on the HD to
>install it. The EXE will extract into a temp folder eating up another
>1.5gb or so, then it installs from that directory, eating up around 2gb
>or so after the install. I didn't actually check the size of the demo
>directory after install but I'm guestimating 2gb or so. You can of

Bloody hell! Where have all the talented programmers gone since my day? Are
there only script kiddies left assembling leggo blocks?

>course delete the EXE you downloaded and the temp folder where it
>extracted to after you've got the demo installed, but I'd say you'll
>want at least 5gb free before trying to install this demo. I noticed
>that someone said the demo was on a PC Gamer disc, so if you don't have
>broadband i'd recommend getting that, since downloading 1.5gb via modem
>sound improbable at best. It took around 45 minutes to download it via
>my cable modem from GameSpot's DLX with an average speed of about
>570kb/sec.
>
>Ok, welp, that's my 2cents on the demo.

Tx for that insightful review K. I might just be tempted ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 6, 2005 2:23:26 PM

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me
> with:
>
> > I got to the village and stopped with little desire to continue on.
>
> Seems like a lot of people are blowing this off as soon as you get to the
> village, which is a shame because the game doesn't really start until well
> after that.

Hmmm. I thought that the rest of my post didn't really hint that I "blew it
off". I just didn't really feel any huge need to continue on after the
village, which basically reflected my "it's okay, but nothing hugely
special" impression of the game. So I think that "blowing it off" was a
little strong for what I felt (I did think it was an okay game).

For me, playing this game competes with games like CoH, Risk II, Shadow
Hearts: Covenant, KOTOR ... so you can understand why I might feel it can't
compete with them for my gaming time. Plus, there's the Sledge Hammer DVDs

The little bit before the village is just the tutorial, really.
> Once you get to the village you get a quest to burn down 4 towers, and
> that's when you'll start encountering worthy opponents as well as picking
> up some phat lewt. I finally found my first "purple" item, which is a
swank
> pole arm of some sort I think that has the magic-find and +% gold and some
> other nice mods. Can't wear it yet, this was DS1's problem also you'd find
> gear you couldn't immediately wear a lot. But I'm only a level away from
> this nice item so that's not too bad.

Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the reason
I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a story-based RPG fan
and it was clear that this wasn't one of them [grin].
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:00:14 PM

Knight37 wrote:
> The demo is better (more polished) than even the recent beta test
> version they put out a couple of months ago. So if you saw a really
> early version of it, if your complaints were about stability or bugs
> or game balance, it's likely to be a lot better. If you just didn't
> like the concept of it, it hasn't changed from what it always was - a
> competent Diablo 2 clone.

I have video issues with it, even after disabling AA--the flashing is still
there, just not quite as prevalent. I suppose one just has to take it on
faith that the issue's been corrected for the release version, as suggested
by posts on Gas Powered's forum.

And it would be nice to have a larger interface font available--something
these old eyes could see--when I up the res to 1280x1024. Maybe scalable
fonts will be in the release version too, I hope. Or maybe the option's
there and I've simply missed it.

Still, I've been able to see enough that I wasn't immediately turned off,
and anything I'm not immediately turned off by I'm likely to buy. Besides,
it's not like there's really been that much for me to overspend my gaming
budget on this year, anyway.

--
chainbreaker
August 6, 2005 9:18:50 PM

Thus spake "snowwhite" <industrialsoftware@acenet.net.au>, 5 Aug 2005
23:15:01 -0700, Anno Domini:

>snip
>
>I played a magic user and had just about no trouble surviving. I had
>two henchmen by the end of the demo - one a half giant standing around
>near the blacksmith area I think and the other a helpful dryad who was
>very good with a bow. To get the second you have to pay the innkeeper
>500 of the money unit. The demo goes through the first major quest and
>a couple ofminor ones. Looking at the quest journal, there are a lot
>more quests to do. I think it will be a fun game to play although it
>would be nice to get something that was not as much hack and slash and
>a bit more "Eye of the Beholder" should anyone remember them.

I think a few of us around here just might ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 6, 2005 9:23:46 PM

"Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me
with:

> Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
> interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the
> reason I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a
> story-based RPG fan and it was clear that this wasn't one of them
> [grin].

I don't think Dungeon Siege 2 is going to be the right match for you then.

To me, this is a really good Diablo 2 style game. So far, anyway. It's all
about the item finding and monster bashing. But the story this time I think
is actually stronger than DS1's and possibly D2's but we'll just have to
reserve final judgement on that after we see the final game.

If you like story-based RPG's then I'd recommend picking up a PS2. There
are hundreds of story-heavy RPGs on that platform (counting the PS1 ones
that can also be played on it). While I think the Xbox is the actual better
console platform, if you're really into RPGs, the Xbox just doesn't
compete. Although, there are *enough* RPGs that are Xbox exclusive that it
is worth a hardware purchase, IMHO. Thing is, most of them also
eventually came out or are coming out for the PC.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
August 6, 2005 9:25:09 PM

Tx again K. Think I will d/l it & check it out. Though I'm not holding my
breath of course ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 6, 2005 9:27:32 PM

"snowwhite" <industrialsoftware@acenet.net.au> once tried to test me with:

> I played a magic user and had just about no trouble surviving. I had
> two henchmen by the end of the demo - one a half giant standing around
> near the blacksmith area I think and the other a helpful dryad who was
> very good with a bow.

Hmm, I didn't see any henchie by the blacksmith but maybe I should go look
again, I need one. :)

> To get the second you have to pay the innkeeper 500 of the money unit.

I don't have 500gp yet. I've *had* that much, but I keep having to spend a
lot on potions.

> The demo goes through the first major quest and
> a couple ofminor ones. Looking at the quest journal, there are a lot
> more quests to do. I think it will be a fun game to play although it
> would be nice to get something that was not as much hack and slash and
> a bit more "Eye of the Beholder" should anyone remember them.

Yeah, this isn't a EOB style game at all. EOB was more about the puzzles
and stuff. This is pure hack-n-slash, ala Diablo 2 style. Now that I think
about it, we haven't had anything remotely like EOB in a long time. Maybe
Arx Fatalis qualifies.

Getting ready to go in and finish the demo now. :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:31:00 PM

> "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me
> with:
>
> > Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
> > interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the
> > reason I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a
> > story-based RPG fan and it was clear that this wasn't one of them
> > [grin].
>
> I don't think Dungeon Siege 2 is going to be the right match for you then.

That's mostly what spawned my comment that I'd be tempted to pick it up if
it was cheap, but other than that it wasn't that interesting to me,
especially when I can play the X-Men themed and similar "X-Men: Legends"
[grin]

> If you like story-based RPG's then I'd recommend picking up a PS2.

Already got one, which is where I played "X-Men: Legends". The PS2 has more
games that suit my tastes than the PC or any other console out there.

There
> are hundreds of story-heavy RPGs on that platform (counting the PS1 ones
> that can also be played on it). While I think the Xbox is the actual
better
> console platform, if you're really into RPGs, the Xbox just doesn't
> compete. Although, there are *enough* RPGs that are Xbox exclusive that it
> is worth a hardware purchase, IMHO. Thing is, most of them also
> eventually came out or are coming out for the PC.

The best ones that I've seen that were on X-Box were the KOTOR series of
games ... and I got those on the PC [grin].
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:32:17 AM

Allan C Cybulskie wrote:
> The best ones that I've seen that were on X-Box were the KOTOR series
> of games ... and I got those on the PC [grin].

Speaking of which, when is Jade Empire supposed to come out for the PC?

Or did they scrape that project already?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:50:23 AM

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:

> Speaking of which, when is Jade Empire supposed to come out for the PC?
>
> Or did they scrape that project already?

Good question. I do not they they ever planned to do Jade Empire on the PC
but if it was a big enough hit they might decide to port it. I'm hoping
they do a sequel to it, for sure.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
August 7, 2005 2:27:17 PM

Thus spake "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca>, Sat, 6 Aug 2005
10:23:26 -0400, Anno Domini:

>Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
>interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the reason
>I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a story-based RPG fan
>and it was clear that this wasn't one of them [grin].

Out of interest Allan, what did you think of VTMB?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 7, 2005 5:54:46 PM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca>, Sat, 6 Aug
2005
> 10:23:26 -0400, Anno Domini:
>
> >Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
> >interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the
reason
> >I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a story-based RPG
fan
> >and it was clear that this wasn't one of them [grin].
>
> Out of interest Allan, what did you think of VTMB?

I never picked that one up. I'd heard the stories about it being heavily
dependent on the skill of the player (which in my case is minimal [grin])
and buggy, and so decided to take a pass on both games in the series,
especially since I had other games to play with at the time ...
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:55:15 PM

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
> Allan C Cybulskie wrote:
> > The best ones that I've seen that were on X-Box were the KOTOR series
> > of games ... and I got those on the PC [grin].
>
> Speaking of which, when is Jade Empire supposed to come out for the PC?
>
> Or did they scrape that project already?

Gamefaqs has no record of that game being released for the PC, so it looks
like that may not be happening any time soon.
August 8, 2005 11:41:09 AM

Thus spake "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca>, Sun, 7 Aug 2005
13:54:46 -0400, Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thus spake "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca>, Sat, 6 Aug
>2005
>> 10:23:26 -0400, Anno Domini:
>>
>> >Ah, well, good thing I didn't continue on then, since I'm not terribly
>> >interested in either phat lewt or worthy opponents [grin]. See, the
>reason
>> >I didn't really care to get back at it is because I'm a story-based RPG
>fan
>> >and it was clear that this wasn't one of them [grin].
>>
>> Out of interest Allan, what did you think of VTMB?
>
>I never picked that one up. I'd heard the stories about it being heavily
>dependent on the skill of the player (which in my case is minimal [grin])
>and buggy, and so decided to take a pass on both games in the series,
>especially since I had other games to play with at the time ...

The player skill is really minimal imo; it's not an fps really, though some
of your dodging/aiming does help with firearms (which I would never use in
this game) - it's more button-mashing as certain times during combat, more
than skill really. Disciplines like Blood Magic have auto-aim, so I highly
recommend a Tremere to start with for the dexterous impaired ;-)

If you let this one slip you really are missing out on what I would say is
THE best single-player, one-character crpg since...I dunno when. I've
enjoyed it far more than Kotor, for example. Yes, it's heavy on action
elements, but you kind of never notice, because it flows so well with the
story. I played through the entire first area wondering when these 'action'
bits were going to come...I'd only had 2 or 3 memorable action fights up
until then & had almost finished 1/4 of the game. With the latest patched
plus Werner's fan patch it has no issues left I can see, so long as you have
a decent rig to run it (it uses a not-fully-optimised Source (HL2) engine
after all ;-).

--
A killfile is a friend for life.