Not sure I understand why 5Ghz band is better...

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hi folks. So I'm a bit confused about what is so great about the 5Ghz wireless. I have a dual band router and I have always used the 2.4 band. This is because I did testing about a year ago and determined that all the places in my house that I use my wireless on a regular basis produce less speed in network tests I have done when using 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. I understand that the higher frequencies have less object penetration and shorter distances so should I conclude that 5Ghz band is only better when I'm right near it? Also, when I'm close to my router and doing my tests, I see the same speeds from both bands so theoretically I never really see a difference. The only thought I had was that maybe using the 5Ghz band provides better error correction or better stability in some way. Am I missing something? Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
5GHz is better when you have a lot of interference on 2.4GHz -- the more common wireless network by far, as well as baby monitors, wireless phones (use the 1.9GHz DECT for better range and no interference), wireless speakers, headphones, etc. Otherwise, yes usually 2.4GHz has better range.

TRENDING THREADS