Real time audio processing

Last response: in Home Audio
January 23, 2005 2:53:37 PM

Hello all..

I am an licensed amateur radio operator who enjoys experimenting with
external audio processing as discussed at
http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm.

I'm interested in examining the usefulness of software based real time audio
processing as an alternative to hardware processing.

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Santa Cruz soundcard and pentium 4 at
2.8GHz with 512mb ram.

What are your thoughts and recommendations as to a better sound card,
software, etc.

Thanks for your assistance and best wishes,

Don

Don Snodgrass
1624 Tabard Drive
Murray, KY 42071
270-767-9944

http://webpages.charter.net/donsno
k4qky@charter.net

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:12:40 PM

"Don Snodgrass" <k4qky@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hello all..
>
> I am an licensed amateur radio operator who enjoys experimenting with
> external audio processing as discussed at
> http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm.
>
> I'm interested in examining the usefulness of software based real time
audio
> processing as an alternative to hardware processing.
>
> I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Santa Cruz soundcard and pentium 4 at
> 2.8GHz with 512mb ram.
>
> What are your thoughts and recommendations as to a better sound card,
> software, etc.
>
> Thanks for your assistance and best wishes,
>
> Don
>

> Don Snodgrass
> 1624 Tabard Drive
> Murray, KY 42071
> 270-767-9944
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/donsno
> k4qky@charter.net
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

for SSB why bother? even with FM it is all but imposable to obtain broadcast
quality audio through a 5 kHz radio system.

at the other end the receiving system is going to be bandwidth restricted
and have a communications type speaker system optimized for voice.

for AM processing will help but once the receiver is switched to wideband
much selectivity is lost. try a Dorrough DAP 310.

for digital audio processing latency is an issue if you intend to monitor
yourself in the headphones. the delay causes a disconcerting effect. some
processors like the aphex 2020 mkIII use a digitally controlled analog audio
path therefore have no delay (other then the inherent properties of any
active analog audio device).

just my opinion but what works best on SSB is an old radio shack Highball II
that's been dropped a lot and set internally for high impedance. Astatic
D-104's look cool but sound like junk.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:54:09 PM

Check out the software at this site: http://www.jesusonic.com. They
(including Justin Frankel of Winamp fame) are working on a dedicated
hardware processor, but the real-time audio processing software is
available free for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

Don Snodgrass wrote:
> Hello all..
>
> I am an licensed amateur radio operator who enjoys experimenting with
> external audio processing as discussed at
> http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm.
>
> I'm interested in examining the usefulness of software based real time audio
> processing as an alternative to hardware processing.
>
> I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Santa Cruz soundcard and pentium 4 at
> 2.8GHz with 512mb ram.
>
> What are your thoughts and recommendations as to a better sound card,
> software, etc.
>
> Thanks for your assistance and best wishes,
>
> Don
>

> Don Snodgrass
> 1624 Tabard Drive
> Murray, KY 42071
> 270-767-9944
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/donsno
> k4qky@charter.net
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:31:05 PM

In article <RyRId.11329$266.1662@fe06.lga> k4qky@charter.net writes:

> I am an licensed amateur radio operator who enjoys experimenting with
> external audio processing as discussed at
> http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm.

> I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Santa Cruz soundcard and pentium 4 at
> 2.8GHz with 512mb ram.
>
> What are your thoughts and recommendations as to a better sound card,
> software, etc.

Without looking at your web page (which I didn't) I can't suggest any
software because I don't know what kind of audio signal processing you
want to do. But I can tell you that the Turtle Beach card is more than
adequate for any ham radio application. You don't need a better one.

Most of the software-based audio signal processing that we do in this
newsgroup comes in the form of software plug-ins that work in a number
of applications. If you wanted to find a dedicated limiter or bandpass
filter (for example) you might haunt the comp.dsp newsgroup(s).