Sign in with
Your question

Error mssg: sys 32/ ntoskrnl.exe missing

Last response: in Windows XP
April 8, 2002 6:02:45 PM

Ok, this is my first time with windows XP and this is not my system or my OS, but here is the problem. My mother bought her a HP computer with XP installed on it already. They told her that if she had to reinstall to hit F10 because her HD is partioned with the bootup on the HD. She ran into someproblems and hit F10 but now she gets this mssg: Windows could not start the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Now I have tried everything that i know to get to at least the Bios setup screen, I cant even access that. She only has the disk that came with the box and the computer wont even install from that disk. I have no clue as to even how to get to the bios setup screen. Please help.
April 8, 2002 9:13:56 PM

The screen should tell you to hit either DEL, F1, F4, ESC to enter setup. One of those should get you into BIOS unless it's a really wierd BIOS.

Who did she buy this from btw? And where are you hitting f10?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 8, 2002 9:44:18 PM

I haven't seen new Pavillion computers, but I do know that F10 is the key you must press to access the BIOS setup on Compaq computers. Try that. Also try F2... those are the only keys I can think of. If you press Esc during the HP splash screen, it should go away and give you a BIOS screen that may display what key you need to push to access CMOS setup.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!