terry

I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
add ons selling for 15 pounds.

I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
I heard the add ons were a lot better.

Is it worth buying?

Regards

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote on 06 elo 2005:

> I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
> add ons selling for 15 pounds.

> I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
> I heard the add ons were a lot better.

The quality steadily rises with time. The first expansion is better
than the original, the second expansion is better than the first,
and the recent 'Premiere' module (downloadable for a small fee) is
IMO the best NWN adventure yet.

> Is it worth buying?

Depends on whether you crave D&D. It's pretty much the only viable
D&D game left anymore, unless you go back to the Infinity Engine
games. You'll have to be able to live with only having one or two
henchmen though, no party. If you think you can live with that, I do
recommend it.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

> Is it worth buying?

The add-ons storilines are better, but the reason to buy it is the very good
quality of many user-developed adventures (all dowloadable for free from the
internet).

I never loved very much the NWN system, however, I would have prefeared some
form of party even for solo adventures (and Baldur's Gate allowed both for
multiplay and for a party controlled by a single player).

Terry wrote:

>I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
>add ons selling for 15 pounds.
>
>I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
>I heard the add ons were a lot better.
>
>Is it worth buying?
>
>Regards

You're the guy who posts tests here instead of alt.test, right?

--
Godwin is a net-nazi

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> once tried to test me with:

> I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
> add ons selling for 15 pounds.
>
> I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
> I heard the add ons were a lot better.
>
> Is it worth buying?

Yes. Not only are the expansions better (esp. Hordes) but it has TONS of
fan-made content that rivals or exceeds professional quality modules. If
you have no interest in fan-made content, then it's probably not worth it.

I recently picked it up again (second copy) for $40 US for the DVD version
because I wanted the DVD version so I can install it easily, and I wanted a
legal second copy so my wife and I can play online together. So all told I
have paid roughly $150 for NWN ($35 for original, got it on sale, $30 for
Undrentide, and $30 for Hordes, plus taxes/shipping).

I do not regret it at all.

If you like playing fan-made modules you can not find a better game out
there. What I find is great about playing the fan made content is that each
module author has their own unique style and flavor, so it's like a
different game, almost, each time you play one. The nice part about having
the Platinum edition is that you will have access to ALL of the fan
content, since some of them rely on the expansion pack content.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Quaestor wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>> Is it worth buying?
>
> You're the guy who posts tests here instead of alt.test, right?

No, this guy seems a little taller.

KAOS

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:35:00 +0100, "Terry"
<terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> dared speak in front of ME:

>I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
>add ons selling for 15 pounds.
>
>I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
>I heard the add ons were a lot better.

>Is it worth buying?

Depends on what your issues with the original were. If it was the
official campaign, the expansions are much better. Especially Hordes.

If it was the gameplay... it's still the same game. Modified 3.0
Dungeons and Dragons, peudo-realtime, 3rd person view.

Hope that helps, jackass.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

Your first impression was correct. This is a terrible game. Buggy as
it is, Temple of Elemental Evil is much better.

> I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
> add ons selling for 15 pounds.
>
> I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
> I heard the add ons were a lot better.
>
> Is it worth buying?

I was a reluctant convert as I much prefer party-style RPG to solitary
play. However the paucity of RPG titles forced my hand and I began
playing it. Overall I've come to enjoy NWN, even though I miss the
party-style systems. I think it's worth the cost for the platinum
edition. I've played through two of the games and they are interesting
and challenging enough to keep you engaged.

The only aspect I don't like is the habit of the NPCs charching into
battle when you don't want them to do so. I constantly have to order
them to stay put.

--
Bob

In what way is TOEE better? Combat engine? That's about it, I'd say.
NWN is by far a better story, even if it's not a BG2/PST quality one.
ToEE's story is so thin you turn it sideways and it becomes invisble.
And NWN has a lot less bugs and balance issues than ToEE has. Plus
there's no fan content for ToEE and tons of it for NWN. Basically
there's no comparison, ToEE is a light snack at best, NWN is meat and
potatoes that will last you a long time.

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> Your first impression was correct. This is a terrible game. Buggy as
> it is, Temple of Elemental Evil is much better.

Well I dont understand what was 'buggy' about NWN, I've never had a problem
with NWN. Now TOEE thats a difrent story, TOEE was bugged to hell, and was
only playable in the begining, by useing user made patches, because their
was no dev suppt etc.

Regards......... John

littlemute wrote:
> Your first impression was correct. This is a terrible game. Buggy as
> it is, Temple of Elemental Evil is much better.

ROTFLMAO!

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote on 08 elo 2005:

> In what way is TOEE better? Combat engine? That's about it, I'd
> say. NWN is by far a better story, even if it's not a BG2/PST
> quality one. ToEE's story is so thin you turn it sideways and it
> becomes invisble. And NWN has a lot less bugs and balance issues
> than ToEE has. Plus there's no fan content for ToEE and tons of
> it for NWN. Basically there's no comparison, ToEE is a light
> snack at best, NWN is meat and potatoes that will last you a long
> time.

Agreed, ToEE was the king of combat systems, but everywhere else it
just totally fell flat on its face. It's a fun combat simulator but it
has no depth whatsoever.

--

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I notice that my local store has NWN complete with the 2
> add ons selling for 15 pounds.
>
> I bought ther original NWN and didnt think much of it but
> I heard the add ons were a lot better.
>
> Is it worth buying?
>
> Regards

Thanks for all your comments,

I have decided against it.
I originally saw it as a dumbed down baldars gate 2.
That probably hasnt changed.

Regards

Terry wrote:

> Thanks for all your comments,
>
> I have decided against it.
> I originally saw it as a dumbed down baldars gate 2.
> That probably hasnt changed.
>
> Regards

Heh. I played NwN (and SoU and HotU) before trying BGII and, even with
some great suggestions by posters in this group, I just found BGII hard
to look at and boring to play. I play NwN at least once a week and have
done so for almost two years.

Just goes to show how different our tastes can be.

- Sheldon, currently playing the 'Lords of Terror' Mod (Diablo
reimagined)

WareWolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in

> "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Is it worth buying?
>
> Yes. Not only are the expansions better (esp. Hordes) but it has TONS
> of fan-made content that rivals or exceeds professional quality
> modules. If you have no interest in fan-made content, then it's
> probably not worth it.

Can you recommend any single player modules for a stickler who was
disappointed with the original campaign?

(Having to save and restore *30 times* in order to smash a 'stag beetle'
turned me away from even trying the expansions so I'm hoping that a fan-
made entry will restore my 'faith' in this game, so to speak)

Signed,
Warewolf
who had never met a RNG he didn't like...until he tried NWN

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:57:48 GMT, Sheldon England wrote:

> I played NwN (and SoU and HotU) before trying BGII and, even with
> some great suggestions by posters in this group, I just found BGII hard
> to look at and boring to play.

Well, BG did look better when it came out. That said, though, I bought and
played BG and BG2 when they were released, and they never really "grabbed"
me. Overall, I probably spent more time playing NWN, too, but I think a lot
has to do with the fact that in NWN you only control one character -- my
favourite style.

M.

Warewolf <warewolfmypants@shaw.ca> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> Is it worth buying?
>>
>> Yes. Not only are the expansions better (esp. Hordes) but it has TONS
>> of fan-made content that rivals or exceeds professional quality
>> modules. If you have no interest in fan-made content, then it's
>> probably not worth it.
>
> Can you recommend any single player modules for a stickler who was
> disappointed with the original campaign?
>
> (Having to save and restore *30 times* in order to smash a 'stag beetle'
> turned me away from even trying the expansions so I'm hoping that a fan-
> made entry will restore my 'faith' in this game, so to speak)

I enjoyed the EOB remake and also the POR remake. There was a series of
modules called Shadowlords I think that was good also. I forgot a lot of
em. You can get reviews and ratings on the modules at NWNVault.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Yes ToEE is buggy, yes it has a dungeon crawl of the old school variety
from the 80's, and you may as well just kill ALL the NPC's for
expirience as none of them matter at all. Kill everything.

But weren't you personally insulted by the voice acting at the
beginning of NWN? The terrible linearity? The ooze of cheese from the
monitor made me think some of the writers from the D&D cartoon got on
the staff of NWN and wrote the dialog. I said to myself, oh that's
bad, that's horrible, but maybe the combat will be fun. It isn't.
It's sitting there waiting to be able to make a move (which is usually
an attack with a weapon to no specific location) in some catastrophic
real time/turn based hybrid nightmare.

Both of these games revolve around D&D, and the meat and potatoes of
the game is the combat engine. What percentage of the time played in
each game are you spending dealing with combat? 80%? 90%?There's
nothing else important except going and stealing or buying new stuff
and leveling up and finding the next fight. All of these bonuses that
puts NWN on this pedestal, user created maps, etc. that you mention are
just not worth anything if the core component of the game, ie: the
combat system, is pure ass. The combat in NWN isn't mediocre, it's
just plain bad. Since most of the time playing the game is in combat,
this simply adds up to a bad game. Again ToEE's combat is the best for
a fantasy RPG I've played, and one spends 90% of time playing the game
in combat. There's no question which is a better game.

Thusly "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> Spake Unto All:

>I didn't find any bugs in NWN the day or so I played, just a terrible
>game.

Oh there's bugs too. I even ran in to a game-killing one when I
tortured myself through the OC.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Your right, one can look at the sales data, industry awards, dev supt, and
community supt, and see which game is better.

Hell I know ppl who said the same thing about POR: The Ruins of Myth
Drannor's CE as well 8).

Regards, John

There's no question which is a better game.

Ok so now you're looking at the video game industry money and marketing
machine metrics for guidance as to what is a good game? They'd have us
all playing resident evil outbreak and master of orion 3. Why are you
even on the newsgroups? Just go read some magazines that have product
articles that are paid for by the 'sponsors.' Because the phillistines
like a game and it sells a lot that's the measure of a good game?
You're just trying to state 'mass opinion' as a reason why NWN is
better rather than just stating the facts as to why it's better as a
counter argument.

The combat engine is far better in ToEE. Most of the time spent in
game during NWN and ToEE is combat. Therefore, ToEE is a better game.
That's what I'm postulating.

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> looked up from reading the
say:

>The combat engine is far better in ToEE. Most of the time spent in
>game during NWN and ToEE is combat. Therefore, ToEE is a better game.
>That's what I'm postulating.

That makes as much sense as saying that a Lada is a better car than a
Ferrari because most of your time is spent doing slow city driving.

TOEE is a combat engine with nothing else, and buggy to boot.
NWN does other things as well as combat (you obviously haven't played
many (if any at all) player made campaigns), so it's combat engine being
lesser than TOEE's is irrelevant since combat is only PART of what is
happening or can happen.

Can you do ANYTHING but kill things in TOEE?

You can in NWN - maybe not much in the OC, but the ENGINE supports it
and it is used in player made campaigns.

No doubt you'll dismiss this as irrelevant since TOEE doesn't do player
stuff so it wouldn't be "fair" to compare them that way.

Xocyll

littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
news:1123871024.489938.226630@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...>> The combat
engine is far better in ToEE. Most of the time spent in
> game during NWN and ToEE is combat. Therefore, ToEE is a better game.
> That's what I'm postulating.

Erm no i'm not i'm looking at the whole picture, you are not, you are
stateing TOEE is a better game because of its combat engine. Because I
disagree with your opinion suddenly i'm going with 'video game industry
money and marketing machine' plot on whats a good CRPG.

You state 80% of your time in NWN is combat related so TOEE is superior
because it has a better combat engine. Fine then they should have billed
TOEE as an 'combat simulator' based on D&D, not an CRPG.

In NWN I can craft items, I can play for hours in user created mods where I
see maybe 5% combat and the other 95% is story related. I can be a Rouge &
hardly ever see any combat by useing my stealth skills, or I can play an
endless hack & slash festetc.

I can play hundreds of modules created by players, with all sorts of story's
from PNP conversions to horror stories, mystery's etc. Can I do this in
TOEE?,

NWN is by far the beter CRPG IMHO, & it earned its awards, fan base etc,
while TOEE recieved praise for it's combat engine.

NWN may not be perfect but it has infinite possibilities and offers things
that TOEE will never have, NWN has a large growing community and dev
support, which are critical to any games success, again something TOEE does
not have.

So you can postulate TOEE its a better game etc. And we can agree to
disagree. Personaly I prefer to play an CRPG with a lil more to offer then
the ability to kill NPCs & an combat simulator based in a fantasy
setting......8)

Regards, John

"

> I enjoyed the EOB remake and also the POR remake. There was a series
> of modules called Shadowlords I think that was good also.

All right, I'll give those a try.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

> You can get reviews and ratings on the modules at NWNVault.

True enough but with hundreds, in not thousands, of modules to sort
through, it can be rather time consuming.
(Compared to an average session of Planescape?) ;)

Signed,
Warewolf
who may ask later about what patches and mods to add before applying
BG1Tutu.