Lan setup please help

mynhardtventer1993

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hi thanks for viewing my question.

I am new at networks and lanning and all that stuff me and toe firends want to lan a few games...
now i want to know how does it work, can i have say a pci card with one ethernet port and use my onboard ethernet port and connect to ther pc's onboard ethernet port and lan like that ?
I have a wifi extender... with 4 ports on the back should i use this as a switch or hub ? i have a router but i have to leave it at home as there are other people using the uncapped internet....

Please help and if you can dumb it down a bit... im new like i said. :heink:

Solution
With your new added requirement I would buy a very cheap router its going to make it so much easier.

You first requirement of wired ports will likely work using this device as a switch..you still have the IP problem since a switch cannot assign IP.

You new wireless addition make this very hard to say how this device will operate. Most repeaters are highly dependent on coordination with the router for things like SSID and encryption. You would have to just try it and see if it works.

But like I first stated a wireless router can do everything you want and is trivial to setup. I suspect your repeater will work but it will be you that has to read the manual so you can work past any strange issues.
You can hook 2 pc together directly with a cable, you many times need a crossover cable. I would buy a $20 cheap switch but the extender might work depends some are pretty stupid and require a connection to a router to even boot. One I put in the trash would reboot itself every couple of minutes if could not connect to the router...and it was designed to do this, maybe why it only cost $12

In any case you are now going to either have to learn to set static IP addresses or your game will have to be able to use the default ones microsoft generates when it cannot obtain one from the network.

Just buy an inexpensive router. The fact you don't need internet access is irrelevant (and you may want it later anyway). A router will provide everything you need, including DHCP server and wireless AP. Doesn't get any easier. You plug in your devices and you're off and running. Just as long as it's not one of those silly routers as bill001g suggests, that reboots w/o an internet connection (now that's dumb). But I'd say that's pretty rare these days.

mynhardtventer1993

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I have a router and uncapped internt at my house so i indeed have router problem is i cant take it with me as other people are using it... the problem is my friends wants to play at his house, we have to keep watch at his house its a pretty big house and he's parents are not gonna be there so we have to play at his house he cant leave the house... I have an Wi Fi extender router... that nobody uses... can i use that as a router or hub as it has 4 ethernet ports on the back? thanks again for the reply

mynhardtventer1993

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for a reply... my extender was about $30 (wich is R250 here in good ol South- Africa- yes we have all the technology the rest of the world has and dont ride on lions :na: :D ) Anyway so youre saying my extender might work ? my extender doesnt reboot by itself will it work as a switch ?

With your new added requirement I would buy a very cheap router its going to make it so much easier.

You first requirement of wired ports will likely work using this device as a switch..you still have the IP problem since a switch cannot assign IP.

You new wireless addition make this very hard to say how this device will operate. Most repeaters are highly dependent on coordination with the router for things like SSID and encryption. You would have to just try it and see if it works.

But like I first stated a wireless router can do everything you want and is trivial to setup. I suspect your repeater will work but it will be you that has to read the manual so you can work past any strange issues.

Solution