Audigy2 & Sigma Design Xcard

Jopp

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I havn't bought the Xcard yet (http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm), and want to make sure it will be suitable with my Audigy2 non-platinum.
First, does the Audigy2 non-platinum have an SPDIF in: in their product specs they have an internal connection called "CD_SPDIF" which is supposed to be connected to a CD/DVD ROM.
Will I be able to connect the Xcard's SPDIF-out to this CD_SPDIF-in? (and have the audigy decode the audio?)

Assuming that I can't, is there a way for me to use both Xcard's video decoing capabilities and the Audigy's audio decoding capabilities?
To the best of my understanding, in order to apply the Xcard's special harware, you have to use it's bundled DVD-playing software. The software reads both video & audio of the DVD, handles the video itself and sends the audio to the sound card either coded (via SPDIF) or decoded (via Stereo output). Now if I can't send the coded audio to the sound card, and I don't want to use the stereo output - I'm pritty screwed... Is this all correct?

at "http://www.shspvr.com/reviews/xcard/dd51.html"; SHS says you need an "Optical Digital I/O 2 or Live! Drive 1/2" (referring to Audigy1 non-platinum). What are these, and are they also needed with the Audigy2 non-platinum?

Tug

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
Will I be able to connect the Xcard's SPDIF-out to this CD_SPDIF-in?
This will work as an S/PDIF input. You just need an SPDIF cable connected to the CD_SPDIF input. You can cut off the other end and stick whatever kind of jack you need for your Xcard

SHS says you need an "Optical Digital I/O 2 or Live! Drive 1/2" (referring to Audigy1 non-platinum). What are these, and are they also needed with the Audigy2 non-platinum?
If you read further, you see that with the Audigy 2, if you need to enable AC3 decoding, make a jumper between pins 25 and 35 of the AD_EXT connector on your Audigy and follow the rest of the directions on that page. The article is referring to the Audigy Drives which are mounted in a 5-1/4" bay. The Audigy is connected to the Bay drive via the AD_EXT connector.

In addition to the CD_SPDIF input there is also another SPDIF in on the Audigy 2 (pins 5 and 6).

Good luck.