Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about "life" of retention plans offers

Tags:
  • Sprint PCS
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 1:57:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I've been on month-to-month since day one and want to upgrade to a better
plan, preferably a retention plan. If offered one, do I have to commit to it
right away to get it, or can I say I'll have to think about it and get back
to them later in the day or the next day?

I just want to be able to do some further research before committing to a
plan, and decide whether to go with a cheaper and lower-minute plan and keep
my landline, or go with a more expensive and higher-minute plan and junk my
landline. This decision will depend largely on what kinds of plans they
offer me, and I might want to think about it before committing.

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

More about : question life retention plans offers

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 2:32:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what they
could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:

$40/750 8pm n/w
$50/1000 8pm n/w
$60/1200 8pm n/w
$75/1500 8pm n/w
$100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & #

These are decent deals, however, the guy wouldn't offer anything else, e.g.
additional discounts on a new phone, free roaming and/or 7pm n/w, 1 year
contract, free or discounted Vision, etc. Does Sprint offer retention deals
on these options, or are retention plans limited to just more minutes? Just
wanted to make sure before wasting my time with their reps.

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen


"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
news:xlUlc.33124$Ik.2008281@attbi_s53...
> I've been on month-to-month since day one and want to upgrade to a better
> plan, preferably a retention plan. If offered one, do I have to commit to
it
> right away to get it, or can I say I'll have to think about it and get
back
> to them later in the day or the next day?
>
> I just want to be able to do some further research before committing to a
> plan, and decide whether to go with a cheaper and lower-minute plan and
keep
> my landline, or go with a more expensive and higher-minute plan and junk
my
> landline. This decision will depend largely on what kinds of plans they
> offer me, and I might want to think about it before committing.
>
> --
> Kovie
> kovie@earthlink.netizen
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 2:39:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Kovie wrote:

> I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what they
> could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:
>
> $40/750 8pm n/w
> $50/1000 8pm n/w
> $60/1200 8pm n/w
> $75/1500 8pm n/w
> $100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & #
>
> These are decent deals, however, the guy wouldn't offer anything else, e.g.
> additional discounts on a new phone, free roaming and/or 7pm n/w, 1 year
> contract, free or discounted Vision, etc. Does Sprint offer retention deals
> on these options, or are retention plans limited to just more minutes? Just
> wanted to make sure before wasting my time with their reps.


I think that's pretty much it. i don't think 7pm N&W is available with
out a 2 yr. contract even to retention.
How ever you may try and push for pcs to pcs but it may not be avail w/o
the 2 yr. deal as well. i do know with a 2nd line you should get it free
though.

Jim
Related resources
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 3:27:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <xlUlc.33124$Ik.2008281@attbi_s53>,
"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote:

> I've been on month-to-month since day one and want to upgrade to a better
> plan, preferably a retention plan. If offered one, do I have to commit to it
> right away to get it, or can I say I'll have to think about it and get back
> to them later in the day or the next day?


You shouldn't have to commit, but you're counting on them properly
annotating your account, which we've had reports doesn't always happen
as it should.

>
> I just want to be able to do some further research before committing to a
> plan, and decide whether to go with a cheaper and lower-minute plan and keep
> my landline, or go with a more expensive and higher-minute plan and junk my
> landline. This decision will depend largely on what kinds of plans they
> offer me, and I might want to think about it before committing.

Do all your research first?
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 3:34:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <_RUlc.22502$Ia6.3269230@attbi_s03>,
"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote:

> I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what they
> could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:
>


"Retention" Deals for anyone


> $40/750 8pm n/w $40 /500 9 PM
> $50/1000 8pm n/w $50 /700
> $60/1200 8pm n/w
> $75/1500 8pm n/w $80 /1400
> $100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & # $100 /1800
>
> These are decent deals,



The deals are good at the low end, less good as they get more expensive.
Strange !


In the past they have offered credits to ones accounts, they have some
latitude. Depends how could a cusotmer you are, and how good a
negotiator you are.

GOOD LUCK.
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 3:47:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In a perfect world one would know everything one would have to research
beforehand. In reality, they might mention or offer something that never
would have occured to me, and have to look into it. Let's call this the "fog
of negotiation".

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen


"Robert M." <robert167@mail.com> wrote in message
news:robert167-B50B46.18271204052004@news6.west.earthlink.net...
> In article <xlUlc.33124$Ik.2008281@attbi_s53>,
> "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote:
>
> > I've been on month-to-month since day one and want to upgrade to a
better
> > plan, preferably a retention plan. If offered one, do I have to commit
to it
> > right away to get it, or can I say I'll have to think about it and get
back
> > to them later in the day or the next day?
>
>
> You shouldn't have to commit, but you're counting on them properly
> annotating your account, which we've had reports doesn't always happen
> as it should.
>
> >
> > I just want to be able to do some further research before committing to
a
> > plan, and decide whether to go with a cheaper and lower-minute plan and
keep
> > my landline, or go with a more expensive and higher-minute plan and junk
my
> > landline. This decision will depend largely on what kinds of plans they
> > offer me, and I might want to think about it before committing.
>
> Do all your research first?
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 5:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Kovie <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote:
> In a perfect world one would know everything one would have to research
> beforehand. In reality, they might mention or offer something that never
> would have occured to me, and have to look into it. Let's call this the "fog
> of negotiation".
>

All you have to do is determine your bottom line. Know exactly where
the deal becomes a maker rather than a breaker. Once they offer you
something that you can accept, start negotiating for more until they
won't give you any more ... then you are at the best point you can be.
You go into this knowing exactly what it will take to make a deal, and
they will never know what it will take to make a deal until you make it,
thus, you should be at an advantage if they have something to offer you.

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFAmEXv1p0e3NXsrtERAkGQAJsGpa2T9ZtxnyhLCYXie3TRo95PHwCghIe1
23DcCG3pDRjl1ETN/Lh0X5Q=
=oaDg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 4:19:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
news:_RUlc.22502$Ia6.3269230@attbi_s03...
> I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what
they
> could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:
>
> $40/750 8pm n/w
> $50/1000 8pm n/w
> $60/1200 8pm n/w
> $75/1500 8pm n/w
> $100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & #
>
> These are decent deals, however, the guy wouldn't offer anything else,
e.g.
> additional discounts on a new phone, free roaming and/or 7pm n/w, 1 year
> contract, free or discounted Vision, etc. Does Sprint offer retention
deals
> on these options, or are retention plans limited to just more minutes?
Just
> wanted to make sure before wasting my time with their reps.

After reading this whole thread and your other posts of the past week, yes,
it does look like good pricing. In saying that though, nowhere have I seen
what your needs are in terms of how many minutes you need or what you have
on your current plan. No mention whether you need Add-A-Phone.

I see in a prior message that you've mentioned you wanted 7:00 PM for N & W,
to contact folks on the East coast. To get this $5 option, you will have to
commit to a 2 year contract. Do many of your friends and family back East
use SPCS? If they do, then maybe for calling those folks, adding PCS2PCS
might be a better fit than going with the 7:00 PM N&W option.

You also mentioned having some dropped calls, and you might want to consider
the $5 F&CA option, for roaming, when you hit a dead spot or go out of
SPCS's coverage area.

Last, but not least, you've also mentioned having or wanting a cable to
connect up with your 4050. If you find that you will need to tether your
phone to a laptop on an occasional basis to download email, etc. you might
want to consider Vision.

Yea, I know, all I'm doing is suggesting higher costs to you, but what
matters here, is "What are your needs?" in having a phone. Casual use or
business use? Using the phone outside SPCS's coverage area, or calling the
East coast @ 7:00 PM?

What's important here is to better define what you need to use your phone at
the best cost available.

Bob
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I'm interested in 3 of the 4 options you mentioned:

$5 7pm
$5 F&C A Roaming
$15 Vision

None of the people I call regularly has SPCS, so the PCS-PCS option isn't
useful to me. What I was hoping was that Sprint offers a discounted package
deal on these options that's less than $25 extra a month. I'm also debating
whether to get lower minutes and keep my landline, or higher minutes and
junk it. If I keep my landline, 750 minutes should be more than enough, and
if I junk it, I'd probably need closer to 1500. And I'd like to pay under
$75 for the former, and under $100 for the latter, including taxes and fees.

I'm leaning towards junking my landline because I usually don't get home
from work before 7pm, and with unlimited N&W and free LD I probably wouldn't
use it that often. In fact, 1500 minutes might actually be a lot more than I
need, since my cell phone usage during peak hours wouldn't be that much
higher if I didn't have a landline. So the $50/1000 plan seems like a decent
compromise. Still, it would be nice to get a discount on either these
options, or perhaps on the phone.

Incidentally, Amazon has an additional $80 rebate on the Toshiba 4050 but
only for new customers or when adding an additional line of service. Since I
already have a phone, could I keep it for a while and add the Toshiba as a
2nd line, to qualify for the additional rebate, and if so how long would I
have to wait before cancelling my old line? I assume that Sprint knows that
people might do this so they've probably made it difficult to do this, but I
thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks!

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen


"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:yZ4mc.7836$Hs1.3549@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
> news:_RUlc.22502$Ia6.3269230@attbi_s03...
> > I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what
> they
> > could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:
> >
> > $40/750 8pm n/w
> > $50/1000 8pm n/w
> > $60/1200 8pm n/w
> > $75/1500 8pm n/w
> > $100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & #
> >
> > These are decent deals, however, the guy wouldn't offer anything else,
> e.g.
> > additional discounts on a new phone, free roaming and/or 7pm n/w, 1 year
> > contract, free or discounted Vision, etc. Does Sprint offer retention
> deals
> > on these options, or are retention plans limited to just more minutes?
> Just
> > wanted to make sure before wasting my time with their reps.
>
> After reading this whole thread and your other posts of the past week,
yes,
> it does look like good pricing. In saying that though, nowhere have I seen
> what your needs are in terms of how many minutes you need or what you have
> on your current plan. No mention whether you need Add-A-Phone.
>
> I see in a prior message that you've mentioned you wanted 7:00 PM for N &
W,
> to contact folks on the East coast. To get this $5 option, you will have
to
> commit to a 2 year contract. Do many of your friends and family back East
> use SPCS? If they do, then maybe for calling those folks, adding PCS2PCS
> might be a better fit than going with the 7:00 PM N&W option.
>
> You also mentioned having some dropped calls, and you might want to
consider
> the $5 F&CA option, for roaming, when you hit a dead spot or go out of
> SPCS's coverage area.
>
> Last, but not least, you've also mentioned having or wanting a cable to
> connect up with your 4050. If you find that you will need to tether your
> phone to a laptop on an occasional basis to download email, etc. you might
> want to consider Vision.
>
> Yea, I know, all I'm doing is suggesting higher costs to you, but what
> matters here, is "What are your needs?" in having a phone. Casual use or
> business use? Using the phone outside SPCS's coverage area, or calling the
> East coast @ 7:00 PM?
>
> What's important here is to better define what you need to use your phone
at
> the best cost available.
>
> Bob
>
>
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:50:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It seems that retention plans are now limited to what you listed below.
That's the same thing I was offered when I called Cancellation six weeks
ago. I tried for other freebies, but no go.

--

John Richards


"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message news:_RUlc.22502$Ia6.3269230@attbi_s03...
>I couldn't wait for a response and ended up calling Sprint to see what they
> could offer. They offered me the following retention deals:
>
> $40/750 8pm n/w
> $50/1000 8pm n/w
> $60/1200 8pm n/w
> $75/1500 8pm n/w
> $100/1800 8pm n/w + free 2nd phone & #
>
> These are decent deals, however, the guy wouldn't offer anything else, e.g.
> additional discounts on a new phone, free roaming and/or 7pm n/w, 1 year
> contract, free or discounted Vision, etc. Does Sprint offer retention deals
> on these options, or are retention plans limited to just more minutes? Just
> wanted to make sure before wasting my time with their reps.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:32:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
news:9abmc.27512$Ia6.4098292@attbi_s03...
> I'm interested in 3 of the 4 options you mentioned:
>
> $5 7pm
> $5 F&C A Roaming
> $15 Vision
>
> None of the people I call regularly has SPCS, so the PCS-PCS option isn't
> useful to me. What I was hoping was that Sprint offers a discounted
package
> deal on these options that's less than $25 extra a month. I'm also
debating
> whether to get lower minutes and keep my landline, or higher minutes and
> junk it. If I keep my landline, 750 minutes should be more than enough,
and
> if I junk it, I'd probably need closer to 1500. And I'd like to pay under
> $75 for the former, and under $100 for the latter, including taxes and
fees.
>
> I'm leaning towards junking my landline because I usually don't get home
> from work before 7pm, and with unlimited N&W and free LD I probably
wouldn't
> use it that often. In fact, 1500 minutes might actually be a lot more than
I
> need, since my cell phone usage during peak hours wouldn't be that much
> higher if I didn't have a landline. So the $50/1000 plan seems like a
decent
> compromise. Still, it would be nice to get a discount on either these
> options, or perhaps on the phone.
>
> Incidentally, Amazon has an additional $80 rebate on the Toshiba 4050 but
> only for new customers or when adding an additional line of service. Since
I
> already have a phone, could I keep it for a while and add the Toshiba as a
> 2nd line, to qualify for the additional rebate, and if so how long would I
> have to wait before cancelling my old line? I assume that Sprint knows
that
> people might do this so they've probably made it difficult to do this, but
I
> thought I'd ask just in case.
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, but I won't comment on what you are trying to do with Amazon and
SPCS. As to the options you were offered by SPCS, I believe those are the
best they can offer. (Actually, I do have a better retention plan), but I'm
guessing I was lucky when I called in.

Bob
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 1:03:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Ouch, but thanks anyway.

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen


"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:8bcmc.8277$Hs1.479@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
> news:9abmc.27512$Ia6.4098292@attbi_s03...
> > I'm interested in 3 of the 4 options you mentioned:
> >
> > $5 7pm
> > $5 F&C A Roaming
> > $15 Vision
> >
> > None of the people I call regularly has SPCS, so the PCS-PCS option
isn't
> > useful to me. What I was hoping was that Sprint offers a discounted
> package
> > deal on these options that's less than $25 extra a month. I'm also
> debating
> > whether to get lower minutes and keep my landline, or higher minutes and
> > junk it. If I keep my landline, 750 minutes should be more than enough,
> and
> > if I junk it, I'd probably need closer to 1500. And I'd like to pay
under
> > $75 for the former, and under $100 for the latter, including taxes and
> fees.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards junking my landline because I usually don't get home
> > from work before 7pm, and with unlimited N&W and free LD I probably
> wouldn't
> > use it that often. In fact, 1500 minutes might actually be a lot more
than
> I
> > need, since my cell phone usage during peak hours wouldn't be that much
> > higher if I didn't have a landline. So the $50/1000 plan seems like a
> decent
> > compromise. Still, it would be nice to get a discount on either these
> > options, or perhaps on the phone.
> >
> > Incidentally, Amazon has an additional $80 rebate on the Toshiba 4050
but
> > only for new customers or when adding an additional line of service.
Since
> I
> > already have a phone, could I keep it for a while and add the Toshiba as
a
> > 2nd line, to qualify for the additional rebate, and if so how long would
I
> > have to wait before cancelling my old line? I assume that Sprint knows
> that
> > people might do this so they've probably made it difficult to do this,
but
> I
> > thought I'd ask just in case.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Sorry, but I won't comment on what you are trying to do with Amazon and
> SPCS. As to the options you were offered by SPCS, I believe those are the
> best they can offer. (Actually, I do have a better retention plan), but
I'm
> guessing I was lucky when I called in.
>
> Bob
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:28:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Incidentally, I ended up going to Costco today and getting the 4050 for
$250, minus a $150 rebate, which came out to the same deal as the Amazon one
would have been. And I'm guessing that if I had purchased the phone online
with Sprint, they would have given me the same deal if I pushed hard enough.
So now my conscience is clear! ;-) I went for the $50/1000 plan + $5/7pm +
$5/F&C America. A huge improvement over my previous plan.

I'm curious, what kind of deal did you get? Also, how high a retention plan
do you think I would have to go with to get free Vision?

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen


"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
news:1Fcmc.38407$I%1.2447487@attbi_s51...
> Ouch, but thanks anyway.
>
> --
> Kovie
> kovie@earthlink.netizen
>
>
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:8bcmc.8277$Hs1.479@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >
> > Sorry, but I won't comment on what you are trying to do with Amazon and
> > SPCS. As to the options you were offered by SPCS, I believe those are
the
> > best they can offer. (Actually, I do have a better retention plan), but
> I'm
> > guessing I was lucky when I called in.
> >
> > Bob
> >
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:18:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
news:C9jmc.38012$kh4.2028644@attbi_s52...
> Incidentally, I ended up going to Costco today and getting the 4050 for
> $250, minus a $150 rebate, which came out to the same deal as the Amazon
one
> would have been. And I'm guessing that if I had purchased the phone online
> with Sprint, they would have given me the same deal if I pushed hard
enough.
> So now my conscience is clear! ;-) I went for the $50/1000 plan + $5/7pm +
> $5/F&C America. A huge improvement over my previous plan.
>
> I'm curious, what kind of deal did you get? Also, how high a retention
plan
> do you think I would have to go with to get free Vision?

3 phones sharing 1200 AT min, F&CA, PCS2PCS, 7:00 PM N & W, Vision on the
primary (mine) and on my daughter's phone - $80 after 2 month free Vision
trial period. With taxes and surcharges, it comes out to $100/mo.

As I took the 7:00 PM N & W option, I had to go with the 2 year AA, but
since SPCS has worked well for yours truly and my family, it was no big
deal.

As to your other question, I don't know the price of the retention plan
offered, but it had 1800 to 2000 minutes and Vision was included at no
charge.

Bob
!