Sign in with
Your question

I cant turn on any of my security and antivirus software

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 2:45:01 PM

Hello,
I lent my laptop to a friend for a week, have it back but now Windows security center won't start along with firewall and defender and my Mcfee won't open either... I try to look on line but any web pages to do with anti virus software won't open and I don't know what to do please help!!!
February 27, 2013 5:34:12 PM

That is a very good indication that you have a virus/trojan infection, and probably more than one. Download and burn to CD the free Kapersky Rescue Disk 10 and start up your computer from it and run the program.
February 28, 2013 8:44:45 PM

RealBeast said:
That is a very good indication that you have a virus/trojan infection, and probably more than one. Download and burn to CD the free Kapersky Rescue Disk 10 and start up your computer from it and run the program.

Realbeast is right, HOWEVER, do NOT use the infected laptop to do this! Use a known clean computer to download / burn the iso image. You don't want to trust that the infected PC somehow slipped something nasty into the iso image...

Honestly your best bet is to clean / backup your data, and perform a wipe and reload of the laptop. You don't want to try to trust a system that had been infected. You can never be 100% certain you got it clean...

After you get the thing cleaned, get a decent anti virus / anti spyware suite. Windows Security Essentials is okay at best....

McAfee hasn't been all that useful since Windows 98...
!