Sign in with
Your question

Longer term internet speed test?

Last response: in Networking
February 27, 2013 5:32:11 PM

Are there any applications which can track your internet speed and usage over a longer period of time than speedtest.net or any other speed testers? Maybe like 24 hours and can produce a graph of internet speed over the 24 hours to show on-peak and off-peak times instead of just an average speed at the end? I currently use networx but it only gives you an average speed and doesnt give you a graph or anything.
February 27, 2013 5:39:28 PM

robbiecee2 said:
Are there any applications which can track your internet speed and usage over a longer period of time than speedtest.net or any other speed testers? Maybe like 24 hours and can produce a graph of internet speed over the 24 hours to show on-peak and off-peak times instead of just an average speed at the end? I currently use networx but it only gives you an average speed and doesnt give you a graph or anything.

Have you looked at MRTG? It might be a bit too "Enterprise" for your needs, but it is a good tool for monitoring what is going on with your network...
February 27, 2013 5:43:47 PM

There are a couple like cacti or zabbix. These tools mostly just monitor your utilization the do not actually test throughput. You router must support snmp (many do) to run these tools.

You can't realistically run speed test 24x7 since you would not have bandwidth left to do actual stuff. You can I suppose tell the tool to run speedtest on a regular basis and keep the results. If you do it too much I would suspect the speed test sites will ban you. To do it right you would need a hosted server that you own and could test against.
February 27, 2013 5:49:22 PM

Thanks, however these all seem too 'enterprise' I just want a simple little application to track internet speed and draw a graph.
!