Sign in with
Your question

Bridging NICs on one Router

Last response: in Networking
February 27, 2013 5:38:52 PM

Hey everyone!

I have a quick question to ask regarding bridging two NIC/LAN ports on my home server to two LAN ports on a single gigabit router. Is this possible? Will the router have any trouble determining IP addresses? If so, is a certain router required for this to work that I am unaware of? I'm run a google search for any info on this subject but this particular question doesn't seem to have been asked that I'm able to find.

I'm essentially looking to increase any bandwidth throughput if possible for content streaming on my home network.

More about : bridging nics router

a b X LAN
February 27, 2013 8:19:11 PM

It's really an issue of having NICs that have drivers supporting NIC teaming (link aggregation) because it's not natively supported in Windows 7 AFAIK, but it is on MS Server 2012 and many current Linux distributions. Some of the higher end NAS boxes (like QNAP) also support it with their Linux based software.

For home content streaming it is probably not worth the effort and expense -- best to just optimize your network and NAS. Unless you are all gigabit wired, the money and effort are best directed at improving the client wireless connections.

Even if you are fully gigabit wired, it is unlikely to affect network performance since even the BR stream standard is only 50Mbps and a good gigabit network does over 800Mbps easily so you could stream more than any client can handle over each connection.
m
l
a b X LAN
February 27, 2013 8:38:04 PM

Won't work. When Windows sees two NICs to the same network, it simply uses one and ignores the other, completely.

That said, I have seen some "hacks" in the past that supposedly can make the OS toggle back and forth as new connections are needed. I have no idea if they still work or just how feasible it is.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2013 10:10:57 PM

*double-nods* I should also clarify that it's not just home streaming. I'm going to have a Fiber-Op connection set up here through the dominant ISP in my area and am turning my home server into a web-server (privatized access for my media only).
I was curious to know if it could be done.. and if so, if it should increase the potential for bandwidth allowance.
m
l
a b X LAN
February 28, 2013 12:30:41 PM

The feature you need is 802.3ad and as stated if you use windows you generally need to load a third party software to make it work.

The larger problem will be where do you find a server that can actually put out 1G much less 2G. Normally this is done by clustering machines to get this much speed.

Still I assume you have the budget to buy a nice server since you are going to have to take the delivery from on the ISP on a 10g handoff that they will limit to 2g. Just the optical module to run 10g over long distance is $3000-$5000 and then you need a router that can accept this module and process 2g of bandwidth. Figure $10,000 and then you still must pay the ISP to bore fiber to your location.
m
l
!