Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IT degree vs computer Engineer

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 27, 2013 6:31:18 PM

Hi id like to know whats your opinion on whether i should get a degree in IT or be a computer hardware engineer. Going to comminty college in Sept. I like both realms. Hardware and networking/security. I dont know whether i should go for CE because i heard the job prospects arent that great.

February 27, 2013 7:23:03 PM

Just to put things in perspective for you, I work in IT and have for 15 years. I have 2 degrees. An A.A. in art, and an A.S. in Auto Diesel Technology, coupled with a stack of industry certifications (MCP, Linux+, A+, Network+, LPIC-1, RHCE) and a well rounded work history. I have guys with narrowly focused CE degrees and a one track career working under me. Make of that what you will.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 7:56:48 PM

Pure IT degrees are not worth a lot and many of the entry level jobs are outsourced to india. There are high level IT positions but they care more about your experience. It is going to be hard to get into.
Not sure what computer hardware engineer is exactly. If this is a actual engineering degree it tends to be more valuable. I know a number of cell phone type companies that will hire any engineer that has RF coursework. They prefer a masters but will take BS electrical/software engineers that have taken courses on cell radio technology.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 27, 2013 8:29:42 PM

dbhosttexas said:
Just to put things in perspective for you, I work in IT and have for 15 years. I have 2 degrees. An A.A. in art, and an A.S. in Auto Diesel Technology, coupled with a stack of industry certifications (MCP, Linux+, A+, Network+, LPIC-1, RHCE) and a well rounded work history. I have guys with narrowly focused CE degrees and a one track career working under me. Make of that what you will.



so an degree in IT will open more doors for me than a CE will??
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 8:30:31 PM

edit/
job wise with decent pay?
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 11:02:03 PM

bill001g said:
Pure IT degrees are not worth a lot and many of the entry level jobs are outsourced to india. There are high level IT positions but they care more about your experience. It is going to be hard to get into.
Not sure what computer hardware engineer is exactly. If this is a actual engineering degree it tends to be more valuable. I know a number of cell phone type companies that will hire any engineer that has RF coursework. They prefer a masters but will take BS electrical/software engineers that have taken courses on cell radio technology.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/com...
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 11:43:51 AM

I see...didn't know they called it that and I suspect it varies greatly from college to college. I have always seen this called electrical engineering with a specialization in computer hardware.

You are best off pursuing a electrical engineering degree and decide after you start what you want to specialize in your last year or two. This will let you decide what you really like doing and also adjust to changes in demand in the job market.

Do not even think to start a engineering degree unless you really like doing this. These are some of the most difficult degrees to obtain and you must be highly motivated to even finish. The good news is most engineering graduates that graduate with good grades will have little trouble finding a job.

And as stated in the other post if your goal is to run servers and put patches on machines and such that is IT but industry certifications are much more sought after than a 4 year degree. That said some companies require a degree but if you have say a CCIE certification they will likely accept a 4 year degree in basket weaving just to keep the HR department happy.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 12:22:53 PM

bill001g said:
I see...didn't know they called it that and I suspect it varies greatly from college to college. I have always seen this called electrical engineering with a specialization in computer hardware.

You are best off pursuing a electrical engineering degree and decide after you start what you want to specialize in your last year or two. This will let you decide what you really like doing and also adjust to changes in demand in the job market.

Do not even think to start a engineering degree unless you really like doing this. These are some of the most difficult degrees to obtain and you must be highly motivated to even finish. The good news is most engineering graduates that graduate with good grades will have little trouble finding a job.

And as stated in the other post if your goal is to run servers and put patches on machines and such that is IT but industry certifications are much more sought after than a 4 year degree. That said some companies require a degree but if you have say a CCIE certification they will likely accept a 4 year degree in basket weaving just to keep the HR department happy.


Yeah, you have it. Actually MOST companies will take experience and certifications over degrees in a hot second. It's a tricky business though. You don't want TOO much experience (I.E. to be viewed as older) because HR departments start discriminating on that basis as well...

Honestly when it gets to that point with me, I am planning on hanging up my own shingle and doing contract / consulting work... Less stability, but much better pay...
m
0
l
!