What video card would best match my computer?

I currently have a Nvidia 6600 GT but I have to return it as I am
having some trouble with it. I only have a 2.6ghz Intel Celeron
computer. Before I pick up another 6600 GT, I would like to know if
that card is overkill for my computer. If so, what card would better
match it? I use it mostly for RPGs which is why I am posting here.
This is the only group besides strategic that I read regularly so I
hope you don't mind the question.
4 answers Last reply
More about what video card match computer

    Mike S. wrote:
    > I currently have a Nvidia 6600 GT but I have to return it as I am
    > having some trouble with it. I only have a 2.6ghz Intel Celeron
    > computer. Before I pick up another 6600 GT, I would like to know if
    > that card is overkill for my computer. If so, what card would better
    > match it? I use it mostly for RPGs which is why I am posting here.
    > This is the only group besides strategic that I read regularly so I
    > hope you don't mind the question.

    Well, I think it's overkill. I have a 5900 (the non-emasculated version
    that cost around $500 when it first came out) in my 2.6 (non-Celeron,
    though), and that's probably a bit overkill. I was able to run EQ2 decently
    enough with it (high detail except in the cities), and WoW and every SP RPG
    I put on it at pretty much full detail at 1280x res, including Morrowind. A
    card similar to the one I have should be plenty for your machine, IMO.

    --
    chainbreaker

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:36:20 -0400, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >Well, I think it's overkill. I have a 5900 (the non-emasculated version
    >that cost around $500 when it first came out) in my 2.6 (non-Celeron,
    >though), and that's probably a bit overkill. I was able to run EQ2 decently
    >enough with it (high detail except in the cities), and WoW and every SP RPG
    >I put on it at pretty much full detail at 1280x res, including Morrowind. A
    >card similar to the one I have should be plenty for your machine, IMO.

    Thank you.

    I went from a 6600gt to the 6800gt and didn't notice ANY difference in
    the real world except for 1280x1024...

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:30:16 -0500, Me wrote:

    > I went from a 6600gt to the 6800gt and didn't notice ANY difference in
    > the real world except for 1280x1024...

    With the popularity (and now very affordable price) of 19" LCD displays,
    this is an important difference, though. 19" LCD screens have a native
    resolution of 1280x1024, and everything else looks noticably worse.

    M.

PC gaming Graphics Cards Computers Video Games Product