Setting up a Modem/Router combo as a dedicated Modem

d0kz

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys,

So i just bought a Netgear WNDR4000 router due to troubles with my current modem/router combo (D-Link DSL2730-B). The router doesnt have in built modem functionality obviously so I need to set up the modem/router as a dedicated modem. How do I go about doing this?

Also should I use the current modem/router as the dedicated modem or an older model i own (I think its a DSL 502T)? Because the current one often drops the internet connection. Don't know if its a problem with the modem functionality or something else. Will the older one serve better since i didn't have any problems with that one or will it be outdated? I only upgraded due it not having wireless capabilities. Otherwise it's fine.

Or will I be even better off buying a dedicated modem? I really don't want to spend more money but if this is a far better alternative I guess i will.

Sorry if my terminology is off lol. My knowledge on networking is quite flawed :(

EDIT: Ok so found out that I have to put the modem/router in bridge mode in order for this to be possible. However, looking up how to do this lead me to a dead end because i need to fill in some fields that i have no idea how to interpret. Can someone help me out with this?

VPI:
VCI: These 2 already came with presets. Should I just leave them?

Select DSL Link Type (EoA is for PPPoE, IPoE, and Bridge): Choices of EoA PPPoA and IPoA

Encapsulation Mode: Choices of LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING and VC/MUX

Service Category: UBR without PCR, UBR with PCR, CBR, Non Realtime VBR, Realtime VBR

Enable Quality Of Service: just a checkbox

Select WAN service type: guessing this is Bridging but theres also choices of PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) and IP over Ethernet

Enter Service Description: already filled.

Enable IPv6 for this service: checkbox