HTPCcrazy

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I want to build an HTPC. The dvd drive I got is very noisey. Can someone recommend a drive that is so quiet I can put the PC in the living room while enjoying a movie? That includes the parts where ppl talk quietly. Also, black faceplate would be nice but I'll use vinyl dye if I have to.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm.
my liteon 16x dvd is prtty quiet when playing dvd's, course it allways makes a little noise when first spinning up.
AND you can buy black faceplates for them.

I have a atlas SB201 black case with a black faceplated liteon dvd, liteon cd-rw and black floppy :smile:

Course dont forget all the other possible noise sources in the computer too.
i.e. get a quiet psu, quiet cpu cooler, a seagate fluid bearing silent HDD etc.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

HTPCcrazy

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I'd like to go with a 'cuda V but my budget will probably get me a Samsung HD. As for the CPU I might use an underclocked amd with zalmann flower, cooled by a 120mm fan running on power adjuster. But different ppl have different ideas about what is "silent". I learned that just by reading reviews on Newegg. I bought a DVD drive that was supposedly "quiet". A little noise when spinning up won't affect moive enjoyment but during the movie...

HTPCcrazy

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Guess I clicked on the wrong drive. The one I got is "Artec dhm-g48". The two reviews of it make no mention of noise level. But it is about about as tolerable as testing a fire alarm. I should know, I'm a fire alarm tech. So just how quiet is that Lite-on?

HTPCcrazy

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Now it seems I had a driver problem. In dvd mode it made the same screaching as in cd-rom mode. After forcing XP to use a new driver dvd mode is absolutely quiet. Cd-rom mode was still as pleasent to listen to as some ppl at work, but cdspeed took care of that.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well its quieter than my pioneer in most aspects.
It is close to silent as you can get for a dvd playing them however as it slows down to 1x speed.

spinup and full speed cd ripping obviously will be noisier.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep.

The one time when the liteon 163's are quiet is when they are playing a dvd. They gear up, and ratchet that seeking mechanism pretty good when you're ripping or installing.

But, they are also fast when they're ratcheting.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser