Which access point to pick for use with 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch?

Hello,

I am totally unaware of all the technical jargon here, so kindly bear with me as I try to explain my concern.

I am trying to make some sense, picking up a wireless access point for my a D-Link 8 Port 10/100 Mbps ethernet switch. Apparently, 100 Mbps is the bandwidth allocated from the Internet service provider to the organization - which is also where I currently reside. So no Gigabit ethernet connectivity for our place yet, and they have no plans of upgrdations either.

I currently have a D LINK 2.4 Ghz 802.11g compliant Access Point at my home. I intend to opt for a new wireless access point for the wired LAN I'm provided at my home, in order to get faster speeds.

I just don't know where to begin the search? Should any 802.11n compliant access point suffice in meeting that end, i.e better wireless speeds & range, even if I dont change the current 10/100 ethernet switch hardware? I am totally clueless and I'd sooo appreciate if some of the the tech-versed people here can come forward and help me pick the right device!

Thanks a ton guys! It make me relieved just to know that there are people out there that can help when nothing seems to make sense!
2 answers Last reply
More about which access point pick 100mbps ethernet switch
  1. It really depends on what adapters you have and if you will upgrade any. If you have existing G devices that you will not upgrade to N adapters, keep the G AP and add an N AP, either single band 2.4GHz or dual band (2.4 and 5GHz) simultaneous, depending on again if you intend to update your adapters or have 5GHz capable devices.

You will read a lot of jargon when it comes to N wireless. Several of us discussed a lot of the details in a recent thread HERE if you have a lot of time to read. :)
  2. Thanks RealBeast for that info...I will go ahead and read what's discussed over :) My brains are all saturated today :P :P But it's worth my time! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Ethernet Switch Wireless Access Networking