Sign in with
Your question

Which access point to pick for use with 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch?

Tags:
  • Ethernet Switch
  • Wireless Access
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2013 1:16:46 PM

Hello,

I am totally unaware of all the technical jargon here, so kindly bear with me as I try to explain my concern.

I am trying to make some sense, picking up a wireless access point for my a D-Link 8 Port 10/100 Mbps ethernet switch. Apparently, 100 Mbps is the bandwidth allocated from the Internet service provider to the organization - which is also where I currently reside. So no Gigabit ethernet connectivity for our place yet, and they have no plans of upgrdations either.

I currently have a D LINK 2.4 Ghz 802.11g compliant Access Point at my home. I intend to opt for a new wireless access point for the wired LAN I'm provided at my home, in order to get faster speeds.

I just don't know where to begin the search? Should any 802.11n compliant access point suffice in meeting that end, i.e better wireless speeds & range, even if I dont change the current 10/100 ethernet switch hardware? I am totally clueless and I'd sooo appreciate if some of the the tech-versed people here can come forward and help me pick the right device!

Thanks a ton guys! It make me relieved just to know that there are people out there that can help when nothing seems to make sense!

More about : access point pick 100mbps ethernet switch

February 28, 2013 1:30:24 PM

It really depends on what adapters you have and if you will upgrade any. If you have existing G devices that you will not upgrade to N adapters, keep the G AP and add an N AP, either single band 2.4GHz or dual band (2.4 and 5GHz) simultaneous, depending on again if you intend to update your adapters or have 5GHz capable devices.

You will read a lot of jargon when it comes to N wireless. Several of us discussed a lot of the details in a recent thread HERE if you have a lot of time to read. :) 
m
l
February 28, 2013 2:57:53 PM

Thanks RealBeast for that info...I will go ahead and read what's discussed over :)  My brains are all saturated today :p  :p  But it's worth my time! :) 
m
l
!