Sign in with
Your question

Why does Tracert and Ping Fail

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2013 2:21:26 PM

Hello!
I was wondering what the reason is that I can't tracert or ping certain websites or servers for games.

Before I go on, no I wasn't doing this because of DDoS-ing. I was doing this so that I could find an exact latency number for a gaming server. Now, to continue.

What I mean is if I try to ping this server, the session will timeout no matter what the millisecond limit is (using CMD)

Ping: Pinging (IP Host Name) [IP] with 32 bytes of data
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out

Tracert: 1. (#)ms (#)ms (#)ms (IP Adress)
2. ^ ^ ^ ^
3. * * * Request Timed Out

Why does this happen? I am pretty sure this is a security tactic used to stop DDoS-ing, but why does it not matter how long I allow the tracert or ping to run? I really want to understand this so I can understand how people don't get traced as well as don't get DDoS-ed. Thanks!

PS: I didn't put any of the IP's just to keep it anonymous. If you really need the host IP, I will supply it, but I will not supply the tracert IP's.

More about : tracert ping fail

March 7, 2013 4:10:32 AM

MNNM15 said:
Hello!
I was wondering what the reason is that I can't tracert or ping certain websites or servers for games.

Before I go on, no I wasn't doing this because of DDoS-ing. I was doing this so that I could find an exact latency number for a gaming server. Now, to continue.

What I mean is if I try to ping this server, the session will timeout no matter what the millisecond limit is (using CMD)

Ping: Pinging (IP Host Name) [IP] with 32 bytes of data
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out
Request Timed Out

Tracert: 1. (#)ms (#)ms (#)ms (IP Adress)
2. ^ ^ ^ ^
3. * * * Request Timed Out

Why does this happen? I am pretty sure this is a security tactic used to stop DDoS-ing, but why does it not matter how long I allow the tracert or ping to run? I really want to understand this so I can understand how people don't get traced as well as don't get DDoS-ed. Thanks!

PS: I didn't put any of the IP's just to keep it anonymous. If you really need the host IP, I will supply it, but I will not supply the tracert IP's.

Make sure you don't write http before the IP host because it doesn't work that way; Like if you wanna ping google, you should write pint www.google.com
m
l
March 22, 2013 11:34:37 AM

A lot of people will block incoming ICMP (protocol that ping uses) traffic to avoid being DDOS'd. I wouldn't doubt the game server provider companies did that.

m
l
!