Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stable 2 Router Setup

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2013 4:02:14 PM

Hello,
I work in an old 2 level commercial building that is shared by a bunch of other folks. There has been wireless routers setup here through a cable modem for years, but it has always had problems.

We have a chance to get some new routers and was wondering what is the most simple and stable way to get wireless access throughout the building, there are already ethernet cables running to old routers.

I've done a lot of research and have even flashed a dd-wrt modem before, but I still don't understand what is the best setup for this situation as I've seen so many different 2 router configurations explained.

In terms of router setups I've seen:
- Bridge
- Repeater Bridge
- Parallel Network
- Slave

I've seen people explain assigning separate subnet to using DMZ, to plugging lan to wan, to wan to wan, to wan to wan using a cross-over.

What is our best option. The only thing I'm really concerned about is something stable and easy to setup.

I did read this at the top of the forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33700-42-ultimate-mod...
Is this a good option?

----------------------------------------------

Also if anyone any suggestion for new routers would be appreciated as well. I'm thinking something b/g/n, dual-band as our airspace is pretty crowded and we have a couple newer Macs that might be able to take advantage of that. But ultimately we don't need anything that fast because our service is only 16mb/3mb.

Right now I'm looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-...

Or should we just get a network extender or access point and what's the difference?

More about : stable router setup

Best solution

February 28, 2013 4:29:38 PM

Since you have cabling run the second router as a AP. Most newer routers have the ability to run as a AP. You can make any router run as a AP by using lan-lan and disable dhcp. As you suggest I would go all dual band give you more option to split your equipment up so each gets optimum performance.
March 1, 2013 1:06:02 AM

How does wireless security and ssid work on the access point? Do they need to be the same as the master router, or different?
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2013 10:53:04 AM

Unfortunately you need a enterprise solution with a controller unit if you would want to combine the wireless security between AP and allow movement without causing outages.

In your case it is up to you. If you make the SSID the same from a practical standpoint you will need to make the security the same also. In some parts of the building it will get similar level of signal from both AP and in effect connect randomly so the users will not know which key to use if they are different. Sometimes it is better to use different SSID then the users can control which AP they connect to.

Which you use is up to you and how skilled your users are. Skilled users will know which AP is actually closer rather than depending on signal levels that change from second to second.

m
l
March 11, 2013 9:13:18 PM

Awesome, thanks for your thorough answers, very helpful!
m
l
!