100mpbs internet but i only get 80mbps dl speed on sppedrtest HELP!

Gardnersworld1

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hey, so today i went from a 50mbps internet to 100mbps with virgin media (http://i.imgur.com/sLyzXXl.png) but for some reason i only get 80 on speedtest, any suggestions why this is the case? is there any setting i have to tweak or anything, getting a pure 100mbps would be sweet!

Currently what i am getting: http://i.imgur.com/JCYCrUN.png

Some insight on this would be awesome, thanks, chris.

sturm

Splendid
You wont get 100mbps on the download tests. Be happy you are getting 86. Notice it says "Up to 100 mbps" Doesn't say you will get that speed.
There is overhead and other factors that come into play on download speed. Where you are downloading from. Connection speed throttling on the other end. Network traffic, etc.... that will drop your speed.

Gardnersworld1

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks man those are the logical sort of answers I was looking for, I was just paranoid that maybe i have a setting wrong or something like that but i guess its all good!

From my personal experience a new good Modem usually speeds things up a lot also i would check specifications on the modem you have cant go beyond certain limits based on the hardware inside like my old Motorolas can only achieve 38Mbps and new one can go to 380 Mbps also router, NIC, and cables could be a factor. I have 50Mbps connection i pay for and the new Motorola SB6141 actually gets me 55Mbps on every test.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
As sturm has said you get "up to...speed" that's called " best effort" meaning if no one is on the network you theoretically might get it.

Also you need to test at the providers speed test site. Once you leave (to check your internet speed) your ISP's network, they(your ISP) is not responsible for any other ISP and/or hosting site and/or backbone provider latency.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

So are you testing stright out of the modem, becasue your router overhead an limits is not their problem and if you only have a 10/100 capable router, 80 is about what you'll get off them. they have a 100 Mb/s PEAK rating not average. Plug straight into the modem, reset the modem test when it comes back up, and see what you get, then reconnect the router, reset the modem and get back in business. Ofr look up your router, if its a older wireless router its probably a 10/100 Ethernet port on the input and there is your answer, need a gigabit port. Most of the modem s have a color coding system for the connection too different ones use different colors but if the link light is different that the DS light on a an actual D3 system then you probably do not have a gigabit Ethernet connection. Note the computer may also not have a gigabit Ethernet, this is the same thing as the router not having it, in addition applications you run on the computer may be eating up that extra 20MB as well.

And lastly that sales pitch may be a trick that says up to as the poster above states, if it says just 100 then they shoudl have pushed a boot file where that is the base speed, if it says up to the base speed may be different you'll need to run shaper probe to figure that out.

cardoctor

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I'm a Rogers' subscriber in Toronto, Canada subscribed to Fiber 60 plan with an advertised speed of up to 60 Mbps. I did a speedtest multiple times and it shows that I'm actually getting a speed of 80 Mbps. These advertised speeds are all marketing ploys, in my opinion, to lure subscribers and the actual speed might vary: probably more or less, compared to the advertised speed. Getting close to the advertised speed is good enough and I would say you're one such lucky guy to get that speed and some people will envy your speed and feel jealous. And one more thing, I got that 80 Mbps using a wired connection, and got 40 Mbps when I disconnected the wire and used the wireless WiFi connection. One thing I learned from this: always use wired connection for faster speed connection because wired connection makes a lots of difference.