Can I add a second video card?

besnik

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I can't have my 3DLabs to run under Linux. I do have free PCI slots on my mobo. Is it possible to add a second one, Linux compatible for that purpose and switch my monitor cable when I need Linux or others?

You probably can, but you will likely have to switch them in your bios each time, making you PCI or AGP the primary depending on which one you will use. You MIGHT be able to do it when in the program, but be sure to make the one that works on BOTH OSes the primary and then switch, otherwise you will likely not see the boot info or even the start page and be running blind until you reboot. You could also get a nother video card that does work under linux. Did you try another version of linux or seeing if there are any drivers out ther for your version of linux (3rd party or otherwise)?
Anywhoo, Good Luck!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

besnik

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Thank you Sir,

Well, switching i s cheaper than building another machine.
You're right, but I've paid a lot for my 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX Pro video card to send it in retirement. The same for Red Hat Pro package.
Yes, I asked several times for any chance on getting drivers but you know...

thanks again,
besnik

besnik

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Ooooops!
It seems that now I'm wrong about availability of drivers for 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1 Pro: XIG claims that their Summit v2.2 ($129) covers the needs. I'd like to know if anybody had tried.