Add a phone deception

Last response: in Network Providers
May 8, 2004 6:42:40 PM

Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will allow
you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones but
when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you have an
excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
customer service people have no way to change this and they will not allow
you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and deception
that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.

More about : add phone deception

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 10:49:47 PM

On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:42:40 -0400
"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:

> Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will allow
> you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones but
> when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
> approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you have an
> excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
> customer service people have no way to change this and they will not allow
> you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and deception
> that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.

if you have "an excellent credit rating" then i doubt they would turn you down
for business. on the other hand if you have bad credit you are just a risk to
them and might not pay your bills. so they dont wanna deal with you
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 10:49:48 PM

Well I do have and excellent credit rating with a 6 digit income. I have a
net worth in excess of 7 digits. I have minimal debt. No late payments.
What more do they want our of a customer???

"fusQuanto" <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:42:40 -0400
> "David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:
>
> > Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will
allow
> > you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones
but
> > when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
> > approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you
have an
> > excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
> > customer service people have no way to change this and they will not
allow
> > you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and
deception
> > that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.
> >

> if you have "an excellent credit rating" then i doubt they would turn you
down
> for business. on the other hand if you have bad credit you are just a
risk to
> them and might not pay your bills. so they dont wanna deal with you
Related resources
May 8, 2004 11:33:54 PM

David May wrote:

> Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will allow
> you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones but
> when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
> approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you have an
> excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
> customer service people have no way to change this and they will not allow
> you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and deception
> that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.

I'll assume you're a consumer and not a business. Consumer credit can
allow up to ten lines. Depending on your credit, you can be approved for
a maximum number of lines between 1 and 10. From time to time, your
credit may be reviewed, and you may then be qualified for a greater
number of lines. These reviews are automatic. If you purchased a number
of phones that was less than the number you were initially approved for,
you should be able to get more lines now. If you activated every line
you were initially approved for, you would not be able to activate
another line on your account, unless your account has been reviewed and
your credit code upgraded.

I was approved for more lines than I needed, and I've been re-evaluated
and granted an even larger number of lines. I can't get of the phone or
visit a store without someone trying to get me to take another line of
service. Believe me, if your credit allowed for more lines, Sprint would
be beating you door down to give them to you. Sprint gains nothing by
having fewer lines on your account.
-mike
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 11:33:55 PM

Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> I'll assume you're a consumer and not a business. Consumer credit can
> allow up to ten lines. Depending on your credit, you can be approved for
> a maximum number of lines between 1 and 10. From time to time, your
> credit may be reviewed, and you may then be qualified for a greater
> number of lines. These reviews are automatic. If you purchased a number
> of phones that was less than the number you were initially approved for,
> you should be able to get more lines now. If you activated every line
> you were initially approved for, you would not be able to activate
> another line on your account, unless your account has been reviewed and
> your credit code upgraded.

I think you can ask for them to run your credit again too.

May 8, 2004 11:44:45 PM

"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote in message news:<109qahe9ti3knb2@corp.supernews.com>...
> Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will allow
> you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones but
> when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
> approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you have an
> excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
> customer service people have no way to change this and they will not allow
> you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and deception
> that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

When you sign up, if you're approved for 5 lines, and you only
activate one, you can come back ay ANY TIME and activate up to 4 other
lines.

My stores do it all the time, people come in, and want to add another
line, if their credit allows them to, then they do.

Maybe you were only approved for fewer lines than you think you
deserved, if you're only approved for one line, then the shared plans
will do you no good.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:55:21 AM

Call Executive Services to complain if *2 won't be helpful

Their number can be found at:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:55:42 AM

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:55:43 AM

It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about which
company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that one
of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:55:44 AM

David May <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:
> It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> phones

You yourself said that they said that it's based on credit. Someone else
has posted some helpful advice, and I'll emphasize that when asking someone
to borrow money or extend credit, if you have no credit, it's no better than
having bad credit (sometimes).

> company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> phone

Bullshit.

If they turned you down for credit reasons, why would they set up
another separate line instead? They're still extending more credit to you,
whether via add-a-phone or doing a separate line.

May 9, 2004 12:55:44 AM

(David May) wrote:
<<It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up
to 5 phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision
about which company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can
add additional phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then
refuse to let me when I call to add the phone.>>

The website says "up to 5" phones, based on credit approval. I don't
know how Sprint rates credit, but I only know one other person
(personally) who was approved for more than three lines during initial
signup. The way they advertise on their site is somewhat misleading,
but so is most advertising... look how many carriers offer "free"
phones, but they don't tell you that its "free" after a mail-in rebate.
This has been a common advertising practice for years (known as "reading
the fine print"), although it still doesn't make it right.

In my case, I started out on Clear Pay because I was working my way out
of some bad credit history. But about six months after I originally
signed with Sprint, I called and asked if I could have my credit
re-evaluated. I was then approved to add two additional lines on my
account and the Clear Pay removed. You *can* request to get your credit
re-evaluated... but you may have to call Executive Services to do so.
But be warned, I believe that if you re limited to one credit check per
6 months... at least there was some kind of holding period before you
were able to request again.

<< I now must purchase a new plan to add another phone and Srint will
not let me out of my existing contract without a penalty. >>

If you are trying to open another account with Sprint, I am unsure you
can do so. I tried at one point, but all they did was add a second line
on my account (each line with its own minute plan, not shared or
add-a-phone minutes). How long have you been a customer? I believe if
you try to call Executive Services and explain your situation, they will
be able to help you out. ES is the top of the line of the Customer
Service... I don't know their 866 number off hand, but I am sure someone
does and can post it. Tell them you would like your credit re-ran, or
that you would like to see about adding additional lines, but regular
customer service was unable to give you a satisfactory resolution.

Hope this helps,
Eric
May 9, 2004 12:55:44 AM

"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote in message news:<109qjvt6en08s33@corp.supernews.com>...
> It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about which
> company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that one
> of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
> cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining

The number of lines you can have is dependant on how the credit check
went, that that is clearly stated. You need to QUALIFY for the extra
lines to be able to get them.

It is not deceptie at all.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:56:43 AM

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:21:58 AM

> Well I do have and excellent credit rating with a 6 digit income. I have a
> net worth in excess of 7 digits. I have minimal debt. No late payments.
> What more do they want our of a customer???

Credit and scores are a funny thing....

Some things to keep in mind....

1) A six-digit income,. 7-digit net worth, minimal debt and NO recent CREDIT
HISTORY, can get you a bad score!

2) A recent credit extension elsewhere can deny this credit extension!

3) If you are trying to do this in the first few months,, there may be a
problem....

4) One of the BIGGEST factors that could impact you, I believe is LATE
PAYMENT, even if a couple days late!

Suggested course of action...
1) Pull a credit report (ideally all 3) with scores.. See if there is ANY
basis in fact for the denial of credit extension...
>> Sprint may actually have done you a big favor and caused your to find
a trashed credit history due to credit bureau screw-up, cross-linked files,
etc.

2) If the fact are good...
Call Sprint on non-Monday and in US, Eastern daytime working hours, and
talk to customer service. Explain that your were denied add-a-phone, due to
purported credit problems, and you want to straighten it out.!

(An alternative, but not all will do this. is this. If you are in a Sprint
Corporate store area, stop in and talk with one of the managers or assistant
managers, armed with your facts. At least in my area, now, most are customer
friendly and willing to go to bat!)

You will hear a lot out BS, negative and trash talk in this group!
I can only speak from experience......
I have had off/on problems with Sprint over the last 4-5 years I have had
them... but SPRINT has made good.
In fact in the last 5 months, SPRINT has done me very well on a couple
issues going above and beyond the contractual agreement and in one case
without me even asking or suggesting!.
I all cases.I approached the situation rationally and calmly, but like with
the persistence of something stuck with Superglue!
May 9, 2004 1:21:59 AM

"Joe Gill" <joegill@removethis@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<Wbcnc.939$jd.696@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> "David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote in message
> > Well I do have and excellent credit rating with a 6 digit income. I have a
> > net worth in excess of 7 digits. I have minimal debt. No late payments.
> > What more do they want our of a customer???
> >
> Credit and scores are a funny thing....
>
> Some things to keep in mind....
>
> 1) A six-digit income,. 7-digit net worth, minimal debt and NO recent CREDIT
> HISTORY, can get you a bad score!
>
> 2) A recent credit extension elsewhere can deny this credit extension!
>
> 3) If you are trying to do this in the first few months,, there may be a
> problem....
>
> 4) One of the BIGGEST factors that could impact you, I believe is LATE
> PAYMENT, even if a couple days late!

Or of someone was a wireless customer, and they defaulted on their
acocunt (it went to a collection agency) then went back to them (even
years later) it would seriously affect what they're allowed to get.

This seems fishy to me, though, I have a strange feeling the OP isn't
telling us everything.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:31:04 AM

On Sat, 8 May 2004 17:23:57 -0400
"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:

> It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about which
> company to sign with.

rest assured that if sprint wouldnt allow you to add more lines (because of your
own poor handling of your credit) then the other carriers wouldn't let you
either.

> It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that one
> of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
> cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:33:25 AM

i'd recommend checking your credit score then. if you really do have good
credit adn your score reflects it (ie your identity hasnt been stolen) then i'd
call up sprint and talk to their credit dept. a friend of mine was signing up
and he has perfect credit and they told him he would need a deposit. he called
and called till someone finally listened and it turned out someone used his
social security and name a year ago to open a line which was deemed fraudulent
within its first week of existence. so they let him on.

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:25:55 -0400
"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:

> Well I do have and excellent credit rating with a 6 digit income. I have a
> net worth in excess of 7 digits. I have minimal debt. No late payments.
> What more do they want our of a customer???
>
> "fusQuanto" <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:42:40 -0400
> > "David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will
> allow
> > > you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones
> but
> > > when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
> > > approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you
> have an
> > > excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
> > > customer service people have no way to change this and they will not
> allow
> > > you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and
> deception
> > > that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.
> > >

> > if you have "an excellent credit rating" then i doubt they would turn you
> down
> > for business. on the other hand if you have bad credit you are just a
> risk to
> > them and might not pay your bills. so they dont wanna deal with you

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:48:18 AM

> I now must purchase a new plan to add another
>phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
>penalty.

Are you saying you have to purchase a new plan with Sprint or with another
carrier?
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:59:03 AM

Eric <caperenewal@webtv.net> wrote:

> But be warned, I believe that if you re limited to one credit check per
> 6 months... at least there was some kind of holding period before you
> were able to request again.

Be warned that if you apply for any credit, the inquiries all appear on your
credit bureau anyhow, and creditors *will* turn down people who have had
too many inquiries in a six month period. Case in point: a very, very stupid
mortgage lender got my mother-in-law approved for a house a few months ago,
but for reasons I can absolutely not fathom, continued to send in applications
in her name. All of those inquiries eventually led to the bank denying her
application, because when you make lots of applications in a short time
period, creditors figure it's because you're being denied credit. And if you
are turned down due to too many inquiries, it'll be in the letter they send
you that tells you why you were denied...

(The realtor was beyond furious. She was representing Mom *and* the seller,
so she lost two big commissions on an over-$200K home.)

So the six-month requirement is not a big deal.

> If you are trying to open another account with Sprint, I am unsure you
> can do so. I tried at one point, but all they did was add a second line
> on my account (each line with its own minute plan, not shared or
> add-a-phone minutes).

I doubt they'd open two accounts for the same SSN, but they should allow
multiple *separate* lines on the same account if their credit guidelines say
the customer qualifies for multiple lines. I don't believe you need to add-
a-phone.

May 9, 2004 2:16:45 AM

In article <109qjvt6en08s33@corp.supernews.com>,
"David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:

> It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about which
> company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that one
> of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
> cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining

It's a shame some of other posters want to apologize for SprintPCS by
making you the issue.
May 9, 2004 2:29:05 AM

On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:42:40 -0400, "David May"
<davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote:

>Watch out when buying into a shared plan with Sprint PCS. They will allow
>you to add phones based on your "credit" and advertise up to 5 phones but
>when you later go to add phones you will find that your credit was only
>approved up to the number that you originally purchased, even if you have an
>excellent credit rating. You are never told this on the front end. The
>customer service people have no way to change this and they will not allow
>you to add a phone. This is just another example of the fraud and deception
>that these cell phone companies place on their victims....the customer.

Didn't have any problems like this. My credit isn't perfect but
it's pretty good. Sounds like trolling to me...
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 2:52:41 AM

In article <Wbcnc.939$jd.696@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"Joe Gill" <joegill@removethis@prodigy.net> wrote:

> "David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote in message
> > Well I do have and excellent credit rating with a 6 digit income. I have a
> > net worth in excess of 7 digits. I have minimal debt. No late payments.
> > What more do they want our of a customer???
> >
> Credit and scores are a funny thing....
>
> Some things to keep in mind....
>
> 1) A six-digit income,. 7-digit net worth, minimal debt and NO recent CREDIT
> HISTORY, can get you a bad score!
>
> 2) A recent credit extension elsewhere can deny this credit extension!
>
> 3) If you are trying to do this in the first few months,, there may be a
> problem....
>
> 4) One of the BIGGEST factors that could impact you, I believe is LATE
> PAYMENT, even if a couple days late!
>
> Suggested course of action...
> 1) Pull a credit report (ideally all 3) with scores.. See if there is ANY
> basis in fact for the denial of credit extension...
> >> Sprint may actually have done you a big favor and caused your to find
> a trashed credit history due to credit bureau screw-up, cross-linked files,
> etc.
>
> 2) If the fact are good...
> Call Sprint on non-Monday and in US, Eastern daytime working hours, and
> talk to customer service. Explain that your were denied add-a-phone, due to
> purported credit problems, and you want to straighten it out.!
>
> (An alternative, but not all will do this. is this. If you are in a Sprint
> Corporate store area, stop in and talk with one of the managers or assistant
> managers, armed with your facts. At least in my area, now, most are customer
> friendly and willing to go to bat!)
>
> You will hear a lot out BS, negative and trash talk in this group!
> I can only speak from experience......
> I have had off/on problems with Sprint over the last 4-5 years I have had
> them... but SPRINT has made good.
> In fact in the last 5 months, SPRINT has done me very well on a couple
> issues going above and beyond the contractual agreement and in one case
> without me even asking or suggesting!.
> I all cases.I approached the situation rationally and calmly, but like with
> the persistence of something stuck with Superglue!

Good post, Pointing out that the OP may be entirely innocent, and yes,
persistence is necessary sometimes.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 3:17:32 AM

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 3:19:07 AM

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 4:49:05 AM

"Readnewsgroups" <readnewsgroups@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> >phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> >penalty.
>
> Are you saying you have to purchase a new plan with Sprint or with another
> carrier?

Phillipe, when oh when are you going to quote the prior poster correctly?
Where is the prior poster's name and message id number?

Bob
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 3:46:05 PM

If they will not let you add a line via Add-a-Phone, I do not
think they will let you add a line separately. You would need an even
better credit rating to cover the higher cost of a separate line.

David May wrote:
> It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about which
> company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add another
> phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that one
> of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
> cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining
>
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:30:19 PM

In article <7e761144.0405081846.363a88e7@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "David May" <davidmay@chartertn.net> wrote in message
> > It is deceptive when the web site states clearly that you can add up to 5
> > phones and this is also stated when you are making your decision about
> > which
> > company to sign with. It is fradulent to tell me that I can add additional
> > phones at any time when I agree to the contract but then refuse to let me
> > when I call to add the phone. I now must purchase a new plan to add
> > another
> > phone and Srint will not let me out of my existing contract without a
> > penalty. Visit the Better Business Bureau website and you will see that
> > one
> > of the biggest complaints is about the deceptive contracts used by the
> > cellular phone companies. It's not just me complaining
> >

> The number of lines you can have is dependant on how the credit check
> went, that that is clearly stated. You need to QUALIFY for the extra
> lines to be able to get them.
>
> It is not deceptie at all.

Would he be allowed to make a deposit to get extra lines on a shared
basis?
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:33:04 PM

In article <7e761144.0405081844.5ba28f3f@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> My stores do it all the time, people come in, and want to add another
> line, if their credit allows them to, then they do.

Should not stores notify the customer of how many lines they "could" be
eligible for, so someone signing up for 3 lines would know whether they
could up that to 5 if they wanted to, or not go ahead with getting three
if thats all they qualified for???

I think stores should be required to notify customers, it saves
confusion later, and greases the way for future sales if you notify a
customer they're eligible for more lines than they signed up for.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:52:06 PM

In article <7e761144.0405081853.668b065d@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> This seems fishy to me, though, I have a strange feeling the OP isn't
> telling us everything.

Heavens forfend SprintPCS is wrong or made a mistake, to the apologist,
the customer is always wrong, and they want to make the customer the
issue. This is the attitude that set Justin off.
May 9, 2004 9:52:07 PM

Robert M <Rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Rmarkoff-D51346.12520609052004@news3.west.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0405081853.668b065d@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > This seems fishy to me, though, I have a strange feeling the OP isn't
> > telling us everything.
>
> Heavens forfend SprintPCS is wrong or made a mistake, to the apologist,
> the customer is always wrong, and they want to make the customer the
> issue. This is the attitude that set Justin off.

First of all, the number of lines you get is depenant on how your
credit check goes, and Sprint does not do credit checks, that's
LightBridge.

If you're unhappy with how the check goes, don't complain to Sprint,
complain to Lightbridge. If a mistake was made, it's Lightbridge, not
Sprint.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:53:07 PM

In article <1Sonc.13264$Hs1.11528@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> If they will not let you add a line via Add-a-Phone, I do not
> think they will let you add a line separately. You would need an even
> better credit rating to cover the higher cost of a separate line.

Then its appropriate to have Executive Services correct SprintPCS'
error, or explain it all to the customer?
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 1:59:23 PM

In article <7e761144.0405091650.2642769a@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> Robert M <Rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7e761144.0405081853.668b065d@posting.google.com>,
> > pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
> >
> > > This seems fishy to me, though, I have a strange feeling the OP isn't
> > > telling us everything.
> >
> > Heavens forfend SprintPCS is wrong or made a mistake, to the apologist,
> > the customer is always wrong, and they want to make the customer the
> > issue. This is the attitude that set Justin off.
>

> First of all, the number of lines you get is depenant on how your
> credit check goes, and Sprint does not do credit checks, that's
> LightBridge.
>
> If you're unhappy with how the check goes, don't complain to Sprint,
> complain to Lightbridge. If a mistake was made, it's Lightbridge, not
> Sprint.

There are many possible explanations for the OP problems, assuming that
SprintPCS is 100% blameless is not yet warranted.

Somebody couldnt have typed in information or transposed data wrong at
SprintPCS?

You changed your tune already. First it was the customers fault, now its
the Credit agencies fault.

There is a greater than zero chance:

1. Sprint sent the wrong information to Lightbridge

2. Sprint transposed information from Lightbridge incorrectly.

3. A SprintPCS rep would rather make the higher commission for selling a
new independent line of service than an add-a-phone, and "misled" the
OP. I have a strange feeling this is where the issue is, as its
separately been posted that if someones credit score wont allow another
add-a-phone, it wouldn't allow a new independent line of service, so why
was that offered to him?

And of course your two prior statements have a greater than zero chance
also:

4. Lightbridge screwed up.

5. The OP has some valid reason in his past for a poor credit score.

So we have 5 possibilities, and likely more. Until the OP goes up the
chain of command at SprintPCS for more information (Executive Services?),
none of us can know for sure.

And thanks for keeping this discussion civil.
May 10, 2004 8:33:38 PM

Robert M <Rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Rmarkoff-2585FF.04592210052004@news3.west.earthlink.net>...
> You changed your tune already. First it was the customers fault, now its
> the Credit agencies fault.

Or both? Honestly, it just doesn't add up, maybe it's just my
suspicious nature.

> There is a greater than zero chance:
>
> 1. Sprint sent the wrong information to Lightbridge
>
> 2. Sprint transposed information from Lightbridge incorrectly.

I'l llump these two together. Firs,t the information is directly sent
forom the store to Lightbridge, and automaticly entered into the
cutstomer's account infromation, so we'll eliminate #2.

#1 - if that happened, then the credit check would have come up as
rejected, mainly the name and SS# need to match up (there may be some
other information).

> 3. A SprintPCS rep would rather make the higher commission for selling a
> new independent line of service than an add-a-phone, and "misled" the
> OP. I have a strange feeling this is where the issue is, as its
> separately been posted that if someones credit score wont allow another
> add-a-phone, it wouldn't allow a new independent line of service, so why
> was that offered to him?

A new line is a new line as far as comissions go. Adding on a line is
the same as creating a new account, it's booked as an activation.
Also, the system shouldn't allow the same social security number or
busines tax ID# to be used in two seperate accounts.

> And of course your two prior statements have a greater than zero chance
> also:
>
> 4. Lightbridge screwed up.

Possible, but unprobable.

> 5. The OP has some valid reason in his past for a poor credit score.
>
> So we have 5 possibilities, and likely more. Until the OP goes up the
> chain of command at SprintPCS for more information (Executive Services?),
> none of us can know for sure.
>
> And thanks for keeping this discussion civil.

Honestly, if the OP has no reason for bad credit (some debt, some
equity, good income etc.. then he *should* get his credit checked with
an agency or his bank, since Sprint does not supply a full credit
report with the activation, there could be things on there that the OP
doesn't realize, or there may be too little affecting his credit.

Also, reps are told to let customers know how many lines they can
activate at the time of activation. If a customer can activate 5
lines, they're supposed to tell them, some sales reps even go as far
as 'reminding' them when they're in for service, questions, or just to
buy accessories. Unfortunately, some reps don't tell the customers
how many lines they're allowed to have (which is pretty stupid IMO,
the customer may then say "Oh, I can? Then can I sign up a few more
lines?", hence more activations for the sales rep).
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:41:05 PM

TechGeek <pcsguy@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Honestly, if the OP has no reason for bad credit (some debt, some
> equity, good income etc.. then he *should* get his credit checked with
> an agency or his bank, since Sprint does not supply a full credit
> report with the activation, there could be things on there that the OP
> doesn't realize, or there may be too little affecting his credit.

You get your credit report for free if employment or extension of credit
has been declined in the last thirty days based on information in your file.

May 13, 2004 10:02:45 PM

In article <1Sonc.13264$Hs1.11528@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jeromez1@earthlink.net says...

> If they will not let you add a line via Add-a-Phone, I do not
> think they will let you add a line separately. You would need an even
> better credit rating to cover the higher cost of a separate line.

Actually, our credit system doesn't care whether an additional line
shares minutes or not. If you can get additional lines, they can
share, or they can be independent.

Or vice versa.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <Rmarkoff-7D8514.12530709052004@news3.west.earthlink.net>,
Rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> Then its appropriate to have Executive Services correct SprintPCS'
> error, or explain it all to the customer?

How is a credit approval policy that is posted on the web site a
mistake? Or not "explaining it all to the customer"?

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <Rmarkoff-954484.10330309052004@news3.west.earthlink.net>,
Rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> Should not stores notify the customer of how many lines they "could" be
> eligible for, so someone signing up for 3 lines would know whether they
> could up that to 5 if they wanted to, or not go ahead with getting three
> if thats all they qualified for???
>
> I think stores should be required to notify customers, it saves
> confusion later, and greases the way for future sales if you notify a
> customer they're eligible for more lines than they signed up for.

There's a conclusion I infer from your words that may or may not be
true. We don't know what store the OP went to. Either way, though,
the answer to your question is that yes, they should tell a customer
the result of the credit check.

--
RØß
O/Siris