Dungeon Siege..how does it compare to the first?

Hey,

I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty
as it looked, it was quite boring with endless combats and the story was
almost non existent.

However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.

Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?

Cheers
EdenR

---
More about dungeon siege compare first

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:29:26 GMT, "Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> mumbled
    something like:

    >Hey,
    >
    >I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty
    >as it looked, it was quite boring with endless combats and the story was
    >almost non existent.
    >
    >However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.
    >
    >Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?
    >
    >Cheers
    >EdenR

    It's better than the first, but really still more of the same. If you
    became bored that quickly with DS1 then you will probably last only a
    little bit longer in DS2.

    I would agree, but add 3 things:

    1) The combat is not nearly as good as Diablo2
    2) The gear/loot is not nearly as good as Diablo2
    3) There is nothing with DS2 that even resembles BattleNet for online
    play (still strictly peer to peer via DX DirectPlay).

    So I think the comparison to Diablo to describe the fact it's an
    Action-RPG is actually misleading. Just because someone liked Diablo
    doesn't mean you would automatically like DS2.

    "Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote in message news:GKZOe.9073$FA3.66@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Hey,
    >
    > I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty as it looked, it was
    > quite boring with endless combats and the story was almost non existent.
    >
    > However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.
    >
    > Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?
    >
    > Cheers
    > EdenR

    Imagine DS1 combat in Diablo 2 gameplay. It's got the town portal things going, a horrible story,
    lots of special items like D2, respawning, corpse runs, bad bantering between group members. Slight
    spoiler here, after one quest is completed, the person says the character's arms have been bit, and
    that it's some terrible disease, now go get the cure, and there is next branch in the main story
    line. Really bad story lol. I think the voice acting is off as well.

    Really not much to combat. Right-click and hold till all bad guys are dead, and pause mid-fight if
    needed for heals and mana. It really seems like an updated D2 to me, and I like it thus far. I have
    only played 3/4 way through the first act however, so maybe something gets worse.

    gaf1234567890 wrote:
    > I would agree, but add 3 things:
    >
    > 1) The combat is not nearly as good as Diablo2

    That's just a matter of preference. D2 is a bit more "actiony" meaning
    it takes a bit more hand-eye coordination to do it right, while DS2 is
    pretty much just hold down RMB and things die, occasionally pressing H
    or M as needed for health and mana boosts. Which type of combat you
    like better probably depends on your own hand-eye coordination skills.

    > 2) The gear/loot is not nearly as good as Diablo2

    Why would you say that? The loot has been extremely good so far for me,
    up to level 12. I haven't gotten very far in the game yet because I can
    only play for an hour or two in the evenings. The loot is orders of
    magnitude better than the loot in DS1 was. I also like it better than
    the loot in Sacred but I haven't played Sacred much since launch month
    in 2004, and I think they made some tweaks there to make it better with
    the patches.

    > 3) There is nothing with DS2 that even resembles BattleNet for online
    > play (still strictly peer to peer via DX DirectPlay).

    Characters for the GameSpy online method are stored on GameSpy servers,
    so that actually does somewhat resemble the BattleNet Realms. The games
    are hosted on individual PC's though, so I imagine that hacking and
    cheating is going to be much easier for DS2 than D2LOD. Not that D2LOD
    was exploit free, by any means.

    > So I think the comparison to Diablo to describe the fact it's an
    > Action-RPG is actually misleading. Just because someone liked Diablo
    > doesn't mean you would automatically like DS2.

    Agreed, and I don't think anyone made such a statement. DS2 is closer
    to D2 than DS1 was, though, so some people who didn't like DS1 but did
    like D2 *might* like DS2. There's a nice long demo to try for free to
    see if you're in that boat or not.

    Knight37

    I like combat a little more than D2, but just because you have 3-4
    people with you so it's not all about one character and his possible
    henchman. Other than that, just a shallow action game

    The greater control over the henchmen does introduce some elements of
    tactics and strategy to the click, click, click, or hold click till
    they die gameplay. You can designate autospells that your party
    members will cast whenever they're needed (mostly heals or buffs). You
    can also decide if the henny's will use spells or melee attacks. Which
    is good and bad as they don't automatically switch to melee when they
    run out of mana. Some of the mobs are rather tough and you can't hit H
    and M fast enough before you're dead. The mimics come to mind.

    Management of the supers is also unique. They do remind me of the
    building up the Alpha Counter in Street Fighter or something, tho.
    Very arcadey.

    I have yet to kick someone out of the party, so I don't know if they
    go to the inn with items and exp intact or if they will default to some
    base level like in D2 or GW.

    "EMan" <supreme.evolutionary@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I have yet to kick someone out of the party, so I don't know if they
    >go to the inn with items and exp intact or if they will default to some
    >base level like in D2 or GW.

    They stay intact. In fact, unrecruited NPCs even level up on their own,
    even though only sporadically, unlike the pets which are automatically at
    your main PC's level. You will need to kick somebody out to recruit
    certain PCs needed for member-specific quests.

    Speaking of pets, I have my two caster dudes have their summoned pets on
    autocast, so I always have six bodies around. The combat mage's pets
    (they're all almost identical, regardless of their name/appearance) are
    useful since they do ranged damage. The nature mage's pets are melee only,
    and hampered by bad AI that leave the pet sitting out of the battle more
    often than not (since the combat isn't in its activation range).

    "Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote in

    > However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.

    Ditto.

    I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would anybody
    care to weigh in on the eye candy?

    When DS1 came out, it was pretty much a huge eye candy fest compared to
    other stuff out at the time. How about DS2? Does it have a lot of eye
    candy?

    --
    Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
    Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:23:29 +0000 (UTC), Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi>
    wrote:

    >When DS1 came out, it was pretty much a huge eye candy fest compared to
    >other stuff out at the time. How about DS2? Does it have a lot of eye
    >candy?

    Based on what I have seen of the demo the graphics aren't much better
    than DS1. After getting used to Guild Wars, DS2 looks extremely drab.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Samy Merchi wrote:

    > I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would anybody
    > care to weigh in on the eye candy?

    It's the same engine, just some new effects. Very nice texture work
    though...
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Smart Feet wrote:
    > Samy Merchi wrote:
    >> I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would
    >> anybody care to weigh in on the eye candy?
    >>
    > It's the same engine, just some new effects. Very nice texture work
    > though...

    Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix are
    actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just slightly
    better technically - if that makes sense.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix are
    > actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just slightly
    > better technically - if that makes sense.

    I thought that too at first but the more I played the more I liked it. Also
    the default res is 800x600 which you can bump up to a much better level.
    The graphics of the caracters looks great once you start getting some cool
    looking gear on them, like some of the yellow-item sets and stuff.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix
    >> are actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just
    >> slightly better technically - if that makes sense.
    >
    > I thought that too at first but the more I played the more I liked it.
    > Also the default res is 800x600 which you can bump up to a much better
    > level. The graphics of the caracters looks great once you start
    > getting some cool looking gear on them, like some of the yellow-item
    > sets and stuff.

    Also forgot, not only can you bump up resolution but the game turns off the
    pixel shader effects by default and if you turn those to "advanced" some
    things look a lot nicer if your video card can do it.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Eden R wrote:

    [snip]

    > Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?

    I thought the first DS was very entertaining.... for about two weeks.
    I'm finding DS II to be more entertaining and compelling that the first
    DS, though I'm still in Act I. It just seems more "robust" (for lack
    of a better term) than DS1, which I hope translates into a longer life
    on my hard-drive.

    YMMV, of course.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I thought the first DS was very entertaining.... for about two weeks.
    > I'm finding DS II to be more entertaining and compelling that the first
    > DS, though I'm still in Act I. It just seems more "robust" (for lack
    > of a better term) than DS1, which I hope translates into a longer life
    > on my hard-drive.

    I'm finding the same. I gave up on DS1. There are things I don't like about
    DS2 (especially inventory management--you'd think a game centered around
    loot would make things easier), but it's holding my attention. I'm in Act
    II.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Sarah wrote:

    > I'm finding the same. I gave up on DS1. There are things I don't like about
    > DS2 (especially inventory management--you'd think a game centered around
    > loot would make things easier), but it's holding my attention. I'm in Act
    > II.

    Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory
    management system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an
    inventory management system. Damn console ports...
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message

    > Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory management
    > system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an inventory
    > management system. Damn console ports...

    I'm passing on Fable. Nothing I've read about it sounds encouraging...
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Sarah wrote:

    >>Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory management
    >>system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an inventory
    >>management system. Damn console ports...
    >

    > I'm passing on Fable. Nothing I've read about it sounds encouraging...

    Good idea. Much about it screams "console". Very small areas with
    frequent loading zones (because of the limited memory in the XBox), and
    an inventory system designed for a gamepad.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Well, I loved Fable but this topic is about DS II so I will tell you
    what I think of it.

    If you liked the first game, it expands on everything from it. (Except
    the story, which is bland and uninsired, and you can tell what will
    happen before it does.)
    It has many new items, enemies and better graphics, as well as a
    slightly better character building system, with more choices this time
    around.
    It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
    gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
    it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

    My suggestion - Wait for a few patches to come out and by that time the
    price should drop to about 29.99.
    As it is right now, unless you are an AVID DS fan or are willing to put
    up with game busting bugs - stay away.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Papa Smurf wrote:

    > It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
    > gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
    > it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

    I'm half-way through the 2nd act and haven't come across a single bug or
    crash. Maybe it's something specific to your hardware...
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 1 Sep 2005 10:25:26 -0700, "Papa Smurf" <htfywebmaster@yahoo.com>
    wrote:
    >It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
    >gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
    >it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

    I have not encountered any bugs or any crashes yet. I just finished
    killing the dragon with the ballista in ACT II. I also have a separate
    multiplayer game going with a friend. We just hit Act II.

    Dungeon Siege II is the most stable game I have played in a very long
    time.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:
    Even in
    > DS2, it's only crashed 2 or 3 times out of maybe 25 or 30 game
    > sessions, and most of those I was alt-tabbing back and forth between
    > DS2 and reading news, web, email, IM, or whatever. I sort of have ADD
    > so I can't play a game for long before I have to go check something
    > else

    Yeah, well that would explain any crashes...

PC gaming Virus RPG Video Games Product