Dungeon Siege..how does it compare to the first?

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2005 4:29:26 PM

Hey,

I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty
as it looked, it was quite boring with endless combats and the story was
almost non existent.

However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.

Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?

Cheers
EdenR

---

More about : dungeon siege compare

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:29:27 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:29:26 GMT, "Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> mumbled
something like:

>Hey,
>
>I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty
>as it looked, it was quite boring with endless combats and the story was
>almost non existent.
>
>However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.
>
>Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?
>
>Cheers
>EdenR

It's better than the first, but really still more of the same. If you
became bored that quickly with DS1 then you will probably last only a
little bit longer in DS2.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:29:27 PM

I would agree, but add 3 things:

1) The combat is not nearly as good as Diablo2
2) The gear/loot is not nearly as good as Diablo2
3) There is nothing with DS2 that even resembles BattleNet for online
play (still strictly peer to peer via DX DirectPlay).

So I think the comparison to Diablo to describe the fact it's an
Action-RPG is actually misleading. Just because someone liked Diablo
doesn't mean you would automatically like DS2.
August 24, 2005 4:29:27 PM

"Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote in message news:GKZOe.9073$FA3.66@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hey,
>
> I finished DS I and swore I would not touch the franchise again...as pretty as it looked, it was
> quite boring with endless combats and the story was almost non existent.
>
> However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.
>
> Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?
>
> Cheers
> EdenR

Imagine DS1 combat in Diablo 2 gameplay. It's got the town portal things going, a horrible story,
lots of special items like D2, respawning, corpse runs, bad bantering between group members. Slight
spoiler here, after one quest is completed, the person says the character's arms have been bit, and
that it's some terrible disease, now go get the cure, and there is next branch in the main story
line. Really bad story lol. I think the voice acting is off as well.

Really not much to combat. Right-click and hold till all bad guys are dead, and pause mid-fight if
needed for heals and mana. It really seems like an updated D2 to me, and I like it thus far. I have
only played 3/4 way through the first act however, so maybe something gets worse.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:29:27 PM

gaf1234567890 wrote:
> I would agree, but add 3 things:
>
> 1) The combat is not nearly as good as Diablo2

That's just a matter of preference. D2 is a bit more "actiony" meaning
it takes a bit more hand-eye coordination to do it right, while DS2 is
pretty much just hold down RMB and things die, occasionally pressing H
or M as needed for health and mana boosts. Which type of combat you
like better probably depends on your own hand-eye coordination skills.

> 2) The gear/loot is not nearly as good as Diablo2

Why would you say that? The loot has been extremely good so far for me,
up to level 12. I haven't gotten very far in the game yet because I can
only play for an hour or two in the evenings. The loot is orders of
magnitude better than the loot in DS1 was. I also like it better than
the loot in Sacred but I haven't played Sacred much since launch month
in 2004, and I think they made some tweaks there to make it better with
the patches.

> 3) There is nothing with DS2 that even resembles BattleNet for online
> play (still strictly peer to peer via DX DirectPlay).

Characters for the GameSpy online method are stored on GameSpy servers,
so that actually does somewhat resemble the BattleNet Realms. The games
are hosted on individual PC's though, so I imagine that hacking and
cheating is going to be much easier for DS2 than D2LOD. Not that D2LOD
was exploit free, by any means.

> So I think the comparison to Diablo to describe the fact it's an
> Action-RPG is actually misleading. Just because someone liked Diablo
> doesn't mean you would automatically like DS2.

Agreed, and I don't think anyone made such a statement. DS2 is closer
to D2 than DS1 was, though, so some people who didn't like DS1 but did
like D2 *might* like DS2. There's a nice long demo to try for free to
see if you're in that boat or not.

Knight37
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:29:27 PM

I like combat a little more than D2, but just because you have 3-4
people with you so it's not all about one character and his possible
henchman. Other than that, just a shallow action game
August 24, 2005 11:27:47 PM

The greater control over the henchmen does introduce some elements of
tactics and strategy to the click, click, click, or hold click till
they die gameplay. You can designate autospells that your party
members will cast whenever they're needed (mostly heals or buffs). You
can also decide if the henny's will use spells or melee attacks. Which
is good and bad as they don't automatically switch to melee when they
run out of mana. Some of the mobs are rather tough and you can't hit H
and M fast enough before you're dead. The mimics come to mind.

Management of the supers is also unique. They do remind me of the
building up the Alpha Counter in Street Fighter or something, tho.
Very arcadey.

I have yet to kick someone out of the party, so I don't know if they
go to the inn with items and exp intact or if they will default to some
base level like in D2 or GW.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:56:37 PM

"EMan" <supreme.evolutionary@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have yet to kick someone out of the party, so I don't know if they
>go to the inn with items and exp intact or if they will default to some
>base level like in D2 or GW.

They stay intact. In fact, unrecruited NPCs even level up on their own,
even though only sporadically, unlike the pets which are automatically at
your main PC's level. You will need to kick somebody out to recruit
certain PCs needed for member-specific quests.

Speaking of pets, I have my two caster dudes have their summoned pets on
autocast, so I always have six bodies around. The combat mage's pets
(they're all almost identical, regardless of their name/appearance) are
useful since they do ranged damage. The nature mage's pets are melee only,
and hampered by bad AI that leave the pet sitting out of the battle more
often than not (since the combat isn't in its activation range).
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:23:29 PM

"Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote in

> However, the RPG drought is forcing me to at least think about it.

Ditto.

I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would anybody
care to weigh in on the eye candy?

When DS1 came out, it was pretty much a huge eye candy fest compared to
other stuff out at the time. How about DS2? Does it have a lot of eye
candy?

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:23:29 +0000 (UTC), Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi>
wrote:

>When DS1 came out, it was pretty much a huge eye candy fest compared to
>other stuff out at the time. How about DS2? Does it have a lot of eye
>candy?

Based on what I have seen of the demo the graphics aren't much better
than DS1. After getting used to Guild Wars, DS2 looks extremely drab.
August 26, 2005 12:50:43 AM

Samy Merchi wrote:

> I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would anybody
> care to weigh in on the eye candy?

It's the same engine, just some new effects. Very nice texture work
though...
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:58:21 AM

Smart Feet wrote:
> Samy Merchi wrote:
>> I've pretty much read the opinions on all other aspects, but would
>> anybody care to weigh in on the eye candy?
>>
> It's the same engine, just some new effects. Very nice texture work
> though...

Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix are
actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just slightly
better technically - if that makes sense.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:08:46 AM

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:

> Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix are
> actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just slightly
> better technically - if that makes sense.

I thought that too at first but the more I played the more I liked it. Also
the default res is 800x600 which you can bump up to a much better level.
The graphics of the caracters looks great once you start getting some cool
looking gear on them, like some of the yellow-item sets and stuff.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:59:18 AM

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Maybe it's just me and I've just started it, but I think the grafix
>> are actually worse than the 1st one artistically speaking and just
>> slightly better technically - if that makes sense.
>
> I thought that too at first but the more I played the more I liked it.
> Also the default res is 800x600 which you can bump up to a much better
> level. The graphics of the caracters looks great once you start
> getting some cool looking gear on them, like some of the yellow-item
> sets and stuff.

Also forgot, not only can you bump up resolution but the game turns off the
pixel shader effects by default and if you turn those to "advanced" some
things look a lot nicer if your video card can do it.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:32:23 PM

Eden R wrote:

[snip]

> Has anyone who played the first one had a good go at the second one?

I thought the first DS was very entertaining.... for about two weeks.
I'm finding DS II to be more entertaining and compelling that the first
DS, though I'm still in Act I. It just seems more "robust" (for lack
of a better term) than DS1, which I hope translates into a longer life
on my hard-drive.

YMMV, of course.
August 30, 2005 12:56:02 AM

"Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I thought the first DS was very entertaining.... for about two weeks.
> I'm finding DS II to be more entertaining and compelling that the first
> DS, though I'm still in Act I. It just seems more "robust" (for lack
> of a better term) than DS1, which I hope translates into a longer life
> on my hard-drive.

I'm finding the same. I gave up on DS1. There are things I don't like about
DS2 (especially inventory management--you'd think a game centered around
loot would make things easier), but it's holding my attention. I'm in Act
II.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:34:44 AM

Sarah wrote:

> I'm finding the same. I gave up on DS1. There are things I don't like about
> DS2 (especially inventory management--you'd think a game centered around
> loot would make things easier), but it's holding my attention. I'm in Act
> II.

Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory
management system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an
inventory management system. Damn console ports...
August 30, 2005 10:09:19 PM

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
news:o tQQe.69724$gB.34171@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

> Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory management
> system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an inventory
> management system. Damn console ports...

I'm passing on Fable. Nothing I've read about it sounds encouraging...
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:02:24 AM

Sarah wrote:

>>Wait until you play Fable. It has the absolute worst inventory management
>>system I have ever seen. I'm not even sure I can CALL it an inventory
>>management system. Damn console ports...
>

> I'm passing on Fable. Nothing I've read about it sounds encouraging...

Good idea. Much about it screams "console". Very small areas with
frequent loading zones (because of the limited memory in the XBox), and
an inventory system designed for a gamepad.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:25:26 PM

Well, I loved Fable but this topic is about DS II so I will tell you
what I think of it.

If you liked the first game, it expands on everything from it. (Except
the story, which is bland and uninsired, and you can tell what will
happen before it does.)
It has many new items, enemies and better graphics, as well as a
slightly better character building system, with more choices this time
around.
It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

My suggestion - Wait for a few patches to come out and by that time the
price should drop to about 29.99.
As it is right now, unless you are an AVID DS fan or are willing to put
up with game busting bugs - stay away.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:31:29 AM

Papa Smurf wrote:

> It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
> gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
> it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

I'm half-way through the 2nd act and haven't come across a single bug or
crash. Maybe it's something specific to your hardware...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:23:19 PM

On 1 Sep 2005 10:25:26 -0700, "Papa Smurf" <htfywebmaster@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>It IS plagued by bugs and I had the game crash multiple times and even
>gave myself god mode through some weird glitch, and now I can not turn
>it off. Even starting a new char does not fix this.

I have not encountered any bugs or any crashes yet. I just finished
killing the dragon with the ballista in ACT II. I also have a separate
multiplayer game going with a friend. We just hit Act II.

Dungeon Siege II is the most stable game I have played in a very long
time.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:50:32 AM

Knight37 wrote:
Even in
> DS2, it's only crashed 2 or 3 times out of maybe 25 or 30 game
> sessions, and most of those I was alt-tabbing back and forth between
> DS2 and reading news, web, email, IM, or whatever. I sort of have ADD
> so I can't play a game for long before I have to go check something
> else

Yeah, well that would explain any crashes...
!