How do I get 5.1 gaming?

I have SB Live 5.1 connected via digital out to my JVC 5.1 DD-DTS digital receiver. The receiver does not have analog inputs. DVD's play great and mp3's play fine in Dolby Pro Logic. Games also play in Pro Logic, but I want to experience UT2003 and Unreal2 in 5.1 sound. I dont care if I cant encode for Dolby Digital gaming, I dont have the Nforce chipset, and I think that is the only thing that does that.

I have also tried creative Inspire speakers hooked up to sound card via analog, and the center speaker has no sound. I would prefer to use my home theater system for all my entertainment needs. My movies and games look great on my big screen TV, so the last thing I want to nail down is 5.1 gaming. I searched the boards and havent found this topic discussed. Here is my questions...........

1. Is there a way to make my reciever hook to my soundcard using analog even tho I dont have analog inputs, i.e. adapters, or do I need to buy a new reciever?
2. I think (not sure) that EAX 3.0 is what supports 5.1 gaming. Audigy and Revolution both have this. Is this true, so I would need a new souncard? If it isnt true which soundcard or other hardware will make this possible?
3. The game I and my son will be playing is Star Wars Galaxies. They let out that the game will support 5.1-7.1 gaming. So if my setup wont work, what are some affordable soundcard, speaker/receivers that support 7.1?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
Gforce 4 4200 ti 64mb
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Live 5.1
4 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, will do everything you need.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
  2. 4Ryan6 ok My dad has that card hooked up to 5.1 creative inspire speakers. So my question is still How? Have you actually played a game in 5.1? If so How? I know with the virtual theater button on that souncard is on you get sound out of all 5 speakers but I believe the back speakers are not seperated. Thx for the reply but can I get a more detailed explanation from those that have actually experienced TRUE 5.1 from any game? Not Dolby Digital just 5.1

Thanks

Pentium 4 2g
    Asus P4T-E MB
    512 PC800 Rambus
    Gforce 4 4200 ti 64mb
    Linksys 10/100 network card
    SB Live 5.1
  3. 1. Yes you should change to a receiver with analog inputs. No simple converter can do it for you. You need an ADC box to do it.

2. Check the other threads for my answers to your question. In short, Revo 7.1 doesn't support EAX 3.0 (EAX AdvancedHD), not even in software (nor do any other cards except Creative Audigy and Audigy2). And once again, 5.1 gaming has nothing to do with EAX 3.0. 5.1 gaming needs a 5.1 capable sound card, a 5.1 speaker set and a game that has 5.1 sound effects written for it. You should also check your software settings for enabling all this.

3. Your Live! 5.1 can handle 5.1 games just fine. If you insist on upgrading and are a serious gamer, get yourself a Hercules Fortissimo III (7.1) or an Audigy2 (6.1). But seriously, first check to see if you have room to spare for [especially] 7.1 speakers all around your room ;)
  4. Open the TBSC Control panel

Open Main Tab
    Under Speaker Mode-enable 6 speaker(5.1)
    Under Master Volume-enable Virtual 5.1

Open Other Tab
    Under General Options-Enable 3D Stereo Enhancement
    Under Acoustic Echoe-When Needed

Thats the way mine is set and I'm getting separation out of the rear speakers.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Gaming Components