Sanyo recalibrated signal meters

Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
All models starting with the 7300 & 8200 as well as future models will
have the more realistic signal meter. I've heard that Sprint requested
this change from Sanyo. I'm glad they've made this change because some
of the older Sanyos such as the 4900, 5300, 8100, etc would often show
4 bars even in a weak signal area. This overly optimistic meter would
often give people the impression that Sanyo's were so much better
signal wise than other brands. Now that could very well be the case
but at least now people will judge that more by actual performance
than by the signal meter. There were times when I was in a Sprint
store or other retail location such as Best Buy and the rep would tell
me to go with a Sanyo "beacuse it's showing the most bars". I would
tell them that you can't always go by 'bars' because each manufacturer
has their own way of showing signal strength. They would often tell me
they didn't know that. This probably explains why Sprint decided they
wanted this changed.

On 8 May 2004 23:54:45 -0700
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
> same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
> All models starting with the 7300 & 8200 as well as future models will
> have the more realistic signal meter. I've heard that Sprint requested
> this change from Sanyo. I'm glad they've made this change because some
> of the older Sanyos such as the 4900, 5300, 8100, etc would often show
> 4 bars even in a weak signal area. This overly optimistic meter would
> often give people the impression that Sanyo's were so much better
> signal wise than other brands. Now that could very well be the case
> but at least now people will judge that more by actual performance
> than by the signal meter. There were times when I was in a Sprint
> store or other retail location such as Best Buy and the rep would tell
> me to go with a Sanyo "beacuse it's showing the most bars". I would
> tell them that you can't always go by 'bars' because each manufacturer
> has their own way of showing signal strength. They would often tell me
> they didn't know that. This probably explains why Sprint decided they
> wanted this changed.

i can attest that my 7300 has less bars than my 6000 did in the same place. but
i dont get any loss of quality or service. 7300 doesnt go below 2 bars, so i
guess it sok. but my 6000 always had 4 bars.

fusQuanto wrote:

> On 8 May 2004 23:54:45 -0700
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
> > same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
> > All models starting with the 7300 & 8200 as well as future models will
> > have the more realistic signal meter. I've heard that Sprint requested
> > this change from Sanyo. I'm glad they've made this change because some
> > of the older Sanyos such as the 4900, 5300, 8100, etc would often show
> > 4 bars even in a weak signal area. This overly optimistic meter would
> > often give people the impression that Sanyo's were so much better
> > signal wise than other brands. Now that could very well be the case
> > but at least now people will judge that more by actual performance
> > than by the signal meter. There were times when I was in a Sprint
> > store or other retail location such as Best Buy and the rep would tell
> > me to go with a Sanyo "beacuse it's showing the most bars". I would
> > tell them that you can't always go by 'bars' because each manufacturer
> > has their own way of showing signal strength. They would often tell me
> > they didn't know that. This probably explains why Sprint decided they
> > wanted this changed.
>
> i can attest that my 7300 has less bars than my 6000 did in the same place. but
> i dont get any loss of quality or service. 7300 doesnt go below 2 bars, so i
> guess it sok. but my 6000 always had 4 bars.

Once again, ...

One should never look at the number of "bars" as any indication of
signal strength. They're put there by the manufacturer of the phone.
One manufacturer might decide that a weak signal deserves one bar,
while the next thinks two would be more appropriate. Etc., etc. Not
only is there no standard between manufacturers, there's not even a
standard between phones from the *same* manufacturer.

Larry

In article <9c02589b.0405082254.6ea0da6f@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
> same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.

This is useful information. Your post raises some questions.

1. How is it you know this?

2. What is the "standard" you speak of?

3. Sprint does not currently have an LG phone, are there some in
the offing?

Robert M <Rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Rmarkoff-AA0FF1.04492710052004@news3.west.earthlink.net>...
> In article <9c02589b.0405082254.6ea0da6f@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
> > same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
>
> This is useful information. Your post raises some questions.
>
> 1. How is it you know this?
>
> 2. What is the "standard" you speak of?
>
> 3. Sprint does not currently have an LG phone, are there some in
> the offing?

I was told by a friend who works for Sprint in their marketing/sales
dept. in Irvine, CA. I don't know what the standard is. Yes there is a
new LG about to come out for Sprint (model vi5225)

In article <9c02589b.0405101005.574944e8@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> Robert M <Rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <9c02589b.0405082254.6ea0da6f@posting.google.com>,
> > larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
> >
> > > Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
> > > same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
> >
> > This is useful information. Your post raises some questions.
> >
> > 1. How is it you know this?
> >
> > 2. What is the "standard" you speak of?
> >
> > 3. Sprint does not currently have an LG phone, are there some in
> > the offing?
>
> I was told by a friend who works for Sprint in their marketing/sales
> dept. in Irvine, CA. I don't know what the standard is. Yes there is a
> new LG about to come out for Sprint (model vi5225)

Thats for the quick reply and honest answer.

That phone is described at

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=351 in what is apparently
not a new listing.

Three points of interest/possible concern, based on what I read there.

1. It has an internal Antenna (which has proved Problematic for the NEC
515/525) phones sold by AT&TWS, apparently the NECs get poor reception
because of their internal antenna.

2. It apparently won't have AMPs/Analog capability.

3. The external display is monochrome.

Perhaps the phone is such that it will be free after rebates. We've had
posters looking for a "free" clam-shell phone from SprintPCS.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

rmarkoff@yahoo.com (Robert M) wrote:
<<Thanks for the quick reply and honest answer. >>

See, everyone? He is capable of being polite on here if given the
chance. He, along with lots of other people in here (including myself)
have made many mistakes and such that have gotten way out of hand. I
believe that with more upfront and honest posts, inquiries and
resposnes, this group will slowly get better for everyone involved.

Eric

> In article <9c02589b.0405101005.574944e8@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
<snipped>

> > I was told by a friend who works for Sprint in their marketing/sales
> > dept. in Irvine, CA. I don't know what the standard is. Yes there is a
> > new LG about to come out for Sprint (model vi5225)
>
> Thats for the quick reply and honest answer.
>
> That phone is described at
>
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=351 in what is apparently
> not a new listing.
>
> Three points of interest/possible concern, based on what I read there.
>
> 1. It has an internal Antenna (which has proved Problematic for the NEC
> 515/525) phones sold by AT&TWS, apparently the NECs get poor reception
> because of their internal antenna.
>
> 2. It apparently won't have AMPs/Analog capability.
>
> 3. The external display is monochrome.
>
> Perhaps the phone is such that it will be free after rebates. We've had
> posters looking for a "free" clam-shell phone from SprintPCS.

LG's site
http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail.do?action=mobile&prodId=VI-5225&categoryId=0401
says it offers Contact Synchronization software, so ... I'm guessing a cable
will be available, in the not too far future, as there is no mention of IR
or Bluetooth capability.

Bob

Charles

When my Sanyo says has 4 bars of signal ... it has 4 bars of
signal......
When it has 3....................it also has 3...

Many times it has no bars and I still have signal.............

wrote:

>Sanyo has recalibrated their signal meters to the same or close to the
>same standards as other Sprint offered brands such as Samsung & LG.
>All models starting with the 7300 & 8200 as well as future models will
>have the more realistic signal meter. I've heard that Sprint requested
>this change from Sanyo. I'm glad they've made this change because some
>of the older Sanyos such as the 4900, 5300, 8100, etc would often show
>4 bars even in a weak signal area. This overly optimistic meter would
>often give people the impression that Sanyo's were so much better
>signal wise than other brands. Now that could very well be the case
>but at least now people will judge that more by actual performance
>than by the signal meter. There were times when I was in a Sprint
>store or other retail location such as Best Buy and the rep would tell
>me to go with a Sanyo "beacuse it's showing the most bars". I would
>tell them that you can't always go by 'bars' because each manufacturer
>has their own way of showing signal strength. They would often tell me
>they didn't know that. This probably explains why Sprint decided they
>wanted this changed.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Charles wrote:
<<When my Sanyo says has 4 bars of signal ... it has 4 bars of
signal......
When it has 3....................it also has 3...
Many times it has no bars and I still have signal............. >>

My older Sanyo 8100 and 4900 had four bars of signal strength and would
drop calls... so I believe that Sanyos are overly generous with their
signal reading. On the same token, my older Samsung A400 and A500 both
would operate fine when it had one or no bars.

Eric

Eric wrote:

> rmarkoff@yahoo.com (Robert M) wrote:
> <<Thanks for the quick reply and honest answer. >>
>
> See, everyone? He is capable of being polite on here if given the
> chance. He, along with lots of other people in here (including myself)
> have made many mistakes and such that have gotten way out of hand. I
> believe that with more upfront and honest posts, inquiries and
> resposnes, this group will slowly get better for everyone involved.

And I believe that not posting your approval or disapproval, for
certain posts/posters, would get us to that goal even quicker.

Get it?

Larry

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(Lawrence Glasser) wrote:
<<And I believe that not posting your approval or disapproval, for
certain posts/posters, would get us to that goal even quicker.
Get it?
Larry >>

So, is that a disapproval of my original message?

Eric

In article <409FF8FE.2D813F78@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Eric wrote:
> >
> > rmarkoff@yahoo.com (Robert M) wrote:
> > <<Thanks for the quick reply and honest answer. >>
> >
> > See, everyone? He is capable of being polite on here if given the
> > chance. He, along with lots of other people in here (including myself)
> > have made many mistakes and such that have gotten way out of hand. I
> > believe that with more upfront and honest posts, inquiries and
> > resposnes, this group will slowly get better for everyone involved.
>
> And I believe that not posting your approval or disapproval, for
> certain posts/posters, would get us to that goal even quicker.
>
> Get it?
>
> Larry

And I believe you should apply that to yourself, rather than take sides.

In article <11043-40A03619-519@storefull-3232.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> Charles wrote:
> <<When my Sanyo says has 4 bars of signal ... it has 4 bars of
> signal......
> When it has 3....................it also has 3...
> Many times it has no bars and I still have signal............. >>
>
> My older Sanyo 8100 and 4900 had four bars of signal strength and would
> drop calls... so I believe that Sanyos are overly generous with their
> signal reading. On the same token, my older Samsung A400 and A500 both
> would operate fine when it had one or no bars.

Seems like my Sanyo RL2500 has one of those "generous" meters. Seems
like is has 4 bars almost all the time, and will drop calls when it has
2 bars.