Trying to install Windows 7... No drives detected

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
SO i have just built my first custom PC and I know it is all installed correctly, except possibly my hard drive. So I get to the window where I am supposed to select the drive where windows 7 will be installed. No drives are detected... so this means my hard drive isnt being recognized... I just got the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837 and my case is weird, im not sure if i installed it all the way. My case is the Thermaltake Level 10 GT and it has hard drive slots and some kind of connector in the slot so that it plugs in automatically. I think it may not be connected fully, like I might need to attach a cord too. Just wondering if anyone has some advice. Thanks

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Not familiar with the case but I'd put the HDD in another slot and connect it directly to the motherboard. It seems you're wanting to install Windows via a hotswap bay... which I think would require setting bios to AHCI mode and formatting the drive beforehand.

On many MOBO's with sata 6GBs connections the Sata 6Gbs ports require special drivers to be installed before the OS can detect the drive -- read through the MOBO manual and see if it mentions how to install the SATA 6GBs drivers.

For EXAMPLE HERE ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/p/227,279/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzOTM1MDY1NC9zaWQvM2VFd3ZrLWs%3D ) is an excerpt from a FAQ article from WD about it :

During the initial installation of Windows, you will need to press F6 almost immediately when "Setup is inspecting your hardware..." appears on the screen. You will then be asked to provide the mass storage controller drivers that came with the controller card or motherboard. Those drivers should have been supplied by your controller manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer). If you do not have the drivers for the controllers, you will need to contact the controller manufacturer for them. WD does not supply drivers for EIDE or SATA controllers. After performing the steps above, the drive will be recognized and the install should continue without problems.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
All of my hard drive bays are hotswaps... I dont think there are any others. also my hard drive didnt come with any cables, which i found odd. Now Im looking through my mobo manual

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Could it be that I am trying to use windows 7 upgrade and not the full thing?

That shouldnt be an issue though because a custom install should install a new copy of windows.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Win 7 Upgrade will try to confirm that a previous version of windows is installed on the drive. Without this it won't install otherwise everyone would buy the cheaper upgrade. I would have thought though that it would put up a message telling you this!

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

In that case, refer to the instructions which came with your case... as I believe it mentions enabling AHCI in your bios and having to format the HDD beforehand.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
@jamesmcuk so you think if i buy the full it will work fine? Because I feel like this would still be able to recognize my hard drive and inform me that it wont work after

@pdxalex how would i be able to format it before hand or access my bios?

Also i assume the harddrive would appear in the SATA, but all i see is my CD drive and everything else is not detected... I just find it very confusing because I cannot directly plug my harddrive in as it gave me no cables and i did switch it to ACHI mode, but it still doesnt show up

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

yep the sata cables come with the motherboard not the hard drive

the power for the hard drives comes from one sata power connector from the psu--this plugs to a connector at the

bottom of the hard drive cages and powers all the bays--bottom left in this image

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Level_10_GT/images/innerside2.jpg

the sata connectors are individual so need to be connected to each drive

as said look in the bios--if the hard drive isnt showing then you havent connected the power or sata or both

del or f2 or similar to enter the bios depending on your motherboard