Transfer Land Phone number to Cell

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 9, 2004 1:13:01 PM

I would like to transfer my home phone number to cell and wanted to know do
you have to get another cell phone or are able to do it on the existing cell
phone number? Also if you can does SpintPCS cancel the land phone number at
the home once it is set up, because I want to do away with my land phone
since I do not get much calls and I use my cell phone mostly.

TB
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 5:26:01 PM

TB wrote:

> I would like to transfer my home phone number to cell and wanted to know do
> you have to get another cell phone or are able to do it on the existing cell
> phone number? Also if you can does SpintPCS cancel the land phone number at
> the home once it is set up, because I want to do away with my land phone
> since I do not get much calls and I use my cell phone mostly.

1) SprintPCS has nothing to do with your landline. If you want to forward
all of your landline calls to your cell phone, you'll have to use "call
forwarding," or something similar, offered by your landline carrier.

2) You can't do 1) if you cancel your landline service!

Larry
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:09:35 PM

"TB" <terrance_bliss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o tidnfKtOczGswPdRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> I would like to transfer my home phone number to cell and wanted to know
do
> you have to get another cell phone or are able to do it on the existing
cell
> phone number? Also if you can does SpintPCS cancel the land phone number
at
> the home once it is set up, because I want to do away with my land phone
> since I do not get much calls and I use my cell phone mostly.
>
> TB

First thing to do is to check this site.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/wlnp/wlnpPortHome.jsp

Bob
May 9, 2004 7:28:41 PM

In article <409E3169.CDC39716@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> TB wrote:
> >
> > I would like to transfer my home phone number to cell and wanted to know do
> > you have to get another cell phone or are able to do it on the existing cell
> > phone number? Also if you can does SpintPCS cancel the land phone number at
> > the home once it is set up, because I want to do away with my land phone
> > since I do not get much calls and I use my cell phone mostly.
>
> 1) SprintPCS has nothing to do with your landline. If you want to forward
> all of your landline calls to your cell phone, you'll have to use "call
> forwarding," or something similar, offered by your landline carrier.
>
> 2) You can't do 1) if you cancel your landline service!

He'd just go to a SprintPCS store with a copy of his last landline bill,
and tell them he wanted that number for his cell. For reasons I don't
understand, porting from a landline takes longer than cell to cell,
often about a week. At such time as your present landline number is on
your cell, your landline provider would close your account and send you
a final bill (minus your deposit, if any).

If you also wanted to keep your current cell number, you'd need two cell
phones.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:38:25 PM

Robert M wrote:

> In article <409E3169.CDC39716@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > TB wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to transfer my home phone number to cell and wanted to know do
> > > you have to get another cell phone or are able to do it on the existing cell
> > > phone number? Also if you can does SpintPCS cancel the land phone number at
> > > the home once it is set up, because I want to do away with my land phone
> > > since I do not get much calls and I use my cell phone mostly.
> >
> > 1) SprintPCS has nothing to do with your landline. If you want to forward
> > all of your landline calls to your cell phone, you'll have to use "call
> > forwarding," or something similar, offered by your landline carrier.
> >
> > 2) You can't do 1) if you cancel your landline service!
>
> He'd just go to a SprintPCS store with a copy of his last landline bill,
> and tell them he wanted that number for his cell. For reasons I don't
> understand, porting from a landline takes longer than cell to cell,
> often about a week. At such time as your present landline number is on
> your cell, your landline provider would close your account and send you
> a final bill (minus your deposit, if any).
>
> If you also wanted to keep your current cell number, you'd need two cell
> phones.

Well, I learn something new every day...

I wasn't aware that landline carriers were also porting... Thanks to you
and Bob Smith for the education!

Larry
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:03:05 PM

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:06:07 PM

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Robert M wrote:
> >
> > In article <409E3169.CDC39716@spamcop.net>,
> > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> > > 1) SprintPCS has nothing to do with your landline. If you want to
forward
> > > all of your landline calls to your cell phone, you'll have to use
"call
> > > forwarding," or something similar, offered by your landline carrier.
> > >
> > > 2) You can't do 1) if you cancel your landline service!
> >
> > He'd just go to a SprintPCS store with a copy of his last landline bill,
> > and tell them he wanted that number for his cell. For reasons I don't
> > understand, porting from a landline takes longer than cell to cell,
> > often about a week. At such time as your present landline number is on
> > your cell, your landline provider would close your account and send you
> > a final bill (minus your deposit, if any).
> >
> > If you also wanted to keep your current cell number, you'd need two cell
> > phones.
>
> Well, I learn something new every day...
>
> I wasn't aware that landline carriers were also porting... Thanks to you
> and Bob Smith for the education!
>
> Larry

Just one more point to make Larry, and it's only possible to port over a
number in the Top 100 MSOs right now, whether it's wireless to wireless or
landline to wireless. For folks outside of the Top 100, they have to wait
till at least May 24th. http://wireless.fcc.gov/wlnp/ There's a good 9:47
video on this page that explains it all.

Bob
!