Eugene Oregon Cell Phone Question

Last response: in Network Providers
May 9, 2004 10:34:02 PM

I am thinking about buying a Treo600 from Sprint and I am seeking
feedback regarding local coverage. How is the data transfer is town
and on the road (I-5)? How is the cellular phone service?
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 10:34:03 PM

Sprint's service in Eugene seems to be good. Weak spots include the
UO campus (for in-building coverage) and VRC mall.

Sprint has native coverage on I5 and I84 basically everywhere. If you
travel 10 miles east or west of I5, and you're not in a town, then you'll
lose Sprint's native coverage, and you don't get data when you roam. You
typically can place and receive calls using a roaming partner.

Data coverage is important to me, and I travel to the Oregon coast more than
I do southern Oregon. For native coverage, Verizon has more in the NW
corner of the state from say from Florence north at the coast. On the other
hand, Verizon roams (and loses data) in southern Oregon, and out I84. In
fact Verizon roams on Sprint in some cases. Checkout both providers native
coverage carefully as this determines where data works.

If it were me, I'd consider Sprint a good choice, but living in Eugene, I'd
definitely pay the $5/mo no roaming option called "Free and Clear America"
so that you can at least place and receive calls when roaming without
additional fees. The treo lacks analog support, so you'd never get the use
the analog coverage provided by US Cellular in far eastern Oregon (remote
areas) and AT&T/Cellular One's analog coverage on the way up to Willamette
Pass etc. (Willamette pass proper is covered by US Cellular, so once you
get there, you should have some service).

I'm currently on Verizon due to their native coverage in Lorane Oregon where
I have family, and the fact that Verizon has a tower adjacent to the east UO
campus, making them one of the best for UO coverage (if you care). Sprint
isn't very good at the UO campus at the moment. Your phone will work when
outdoors, but much less well when in-building (at least that's been my
experience). UO employees can get a discount even for personal use phones
on both Sprint and Verizon (either way).

PDA issues wise- I would much prefer Palm OS 5 included with the treo, but
with a screen resolution of 160x160 this becomes the limiting factor. In
other words, there are only a handful of applications I don't have access to
with my Verizon 7135 Palm OS 4 device. The 7135 does have analog support
which I basically require. The 7135 also has SD memory slot, and MP3
player. YMMV and good luck with your decision,

-Dan

PS: The data option with Sprint is $15. Verizon provides and supports a
free 14.4K data option called QNC that works fine from the handheld palm os
device. i.e. For Snappermail (email), movie listings, weather, etc. it
doesn't make all that much difference from the handheld. You only need high
speed for tethering to a laptop, and Verizon currently is allowing this for
free too (called National Access MOU) - which means it uses minutes, but you
don't pay extra monthly. It's not an advertised service, and as such may
disappear. The QNC data (14.4) is free, and officially supported.
Incidentally, I can download about 2K per second via QNC so it's more akin
to a 28.8 dialup connection that 14.4. Free is the price I'm looking for
when it comes to data.

http://cell.uoregon.edu

!