WoW and linking up with friends

A few friends of mine are trying to get me back in to World of Warcraft.
They are all on different servers and all different alliances. This
game is so difficult to sync up with friends which was part of the
reason I quit in the first place.

I think I will stick to my guild wars or single player rpgs. never have
to worry about servers and for someone with little time you can max your
character out without spending 6 months of your life on the game

Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be made?
9 answers Last reply
More about linking friends

    Bob wrote:
    > A few friends of mine are trying to get me back in to World of Warcraft.
    > They are all on different servers and all different alliances. This
    > game is so difficult to sync up with friends which was part of the
    > reason I quit in the first place.
    >
    > I think I will stick to my guild wars or single player rpgs. never have
    > to worry about servers and for someone with little time you can max your
    > character out without spending 6 months of your life on the game
    >
    > Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be made?

    I don't think they have 1000 servers. Probably only about 100.

    City of Heroes had even more servers per player (assuming 150k players
    vs 1.5m), and didn't allow server transfers either. So I guess the
    answer is probably yes, if the game is expected to accomodate hundreds
    of thousands of players at a time, doesn't limit you to all instanced
    content, and has complex state mechanics that are almost entirely run
    server-side.

    In fact, the load is SO great that WoW, apparently, uses 4 seperate
    physical servers *per realm* - 2 for each of the continents, 1 for all
    instanced dungeons, and 1 for the battlegrounds - just to maintain the
    game state. This doesn't include dozens of clustered Oracle DB servers,
    a dedicated autentication server, etc.

    Anyway, they didn't design it on a whim just so it would be
    frustrating. What I'd do is have you and your friends all create brand
    new characters on one of the brand new realms they just rolled out.
    That way it will be a fresh start for the whole group.

    Why can't you and all your friends make characters on a mutually agreed upon
    server?
    I don't understand what the problem is...??

    Bob wrote:
    > A few friends of mine are trying to get me back in to World of Warcraft.
    > They are all on different servers and all different alliances. This
    > game is so difficult to sync up with friends which was part of the
    > reason I quit in the first place.
    >
    > I think I will stick to my guild wars or single player rpgs. never have
    > to worry about servers and for someone with little time you can max your
    > character out without spending 6 months of your life on the game
    >
    > Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be made?

    If you've given up on WoW but still wanna talk w/them while you MMO,
    there's xfire - http://www.xfire.com, sort of an I/M for gamers. Works
    just like a normal I/M, but tells you what game your friends are
    playing, what server they are on, and w/some games lets you just right
    click and pick 'join game' and the game starts right up and goes right
    to the correct server. Also, w/many games, you can use it w/in the game
    w/out having to alt-tab out, including dungeon siege 2, city of heroes,
    UT2k4 and many more (their web site says which games they support). So
    your guild mates in game X can tell you while you're playin' UT2k4 that
    they are on and ready to do mission X now and its time for you to tear
    yourself away from deathmatch goodness and sign on the MMO to help them
    do their instance. hehe. So even if you don't wanna play WoW w/your
    friends, you can talk w/them in wow, while you're in guildwars, and vice
    versa. You can have a 'group chat channel' too, w/all friends in one
    channel - so its like an MMO channel that you can use w/in your game,
    that crosses servers or even entirely different games, pretty nifty.

    Leo

    Leo wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    > > A few friends of mine are trying to get me back in to World of Warcraft.
    > > They are all on different servers and all different alliances. This
    > > game is so difficult to sync up with friends which was part of the
    > > reason I quit in the first place.

    Why not get everyone to start new characters on a new server? We did
    this and whenever we get enough around then we go to that server. Use
    something like TeamSpeak to let you know who's around. We check
    TeamSpeak, find out what server everyone's on, then work out which
    characters to play.

    Bob <some@where.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be
    > made?

    Yep.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    >> Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be
    >> made?

    >Yep.

    I could imagine a big mult CPU cluster with gods backplane and what not,
    but... well, I don't ever recall seeing a system design that can handle
    that sort of transaction count with the required latencies. Bandwidth,
    yes. Transactions and latencies, no.

    C//

    Bob wrote:
    > A few friends of mine are trying to get me back in to World of Warcraft.
    > They are all on different servers and all different alliances. This
    > game is so difficult to sync up with friends which was part of the
    > reason I quit in the first place.

    Well, WoW seems to be better than EverQuest (I) in this respect. I'm
    playing the free trial of EQ I right now because a friend asked me to.
    We both rolled newb characters on the same realm and even though we can
    be logged on at the same time, and able to chat with each other,
    there's only a 30% chance that we're ever actually able to play
    together... EverQuest seems to arbitrarily divide realms into sessions,
    so even though many players may be in the same area on the same server,
    they can't see or play with each other. Kind of like Guild Wars, but
    with no choice as to who you're playing with.

    I will note that unlike WoW, EverQuest does let players on different
    servers chat with each other and have each other on buddy lists.
    That's nice at least.

    > Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be made?

    Apparently, yes. There ARE technical limitations, but it goes beyond
    that. There are 3,500,000 (or more) paying World of Warcraft
    subscribers and at any given time hundreds of thousands of them are
    online. If Blizzard somehow set up some way for everyone to be on the
    same realm, the world would be so crowded, no one would WANT to play
    together. You think IronForge is bad now?

    Now one cool thing about Guild Wars is that it does arbitrarily dump
    non-questing players into different sessions for population control
    (like EQ I apparently does) but once you're logged on you can manually
    switch to any of the sessions available to your geography (including
    some special international sessions) so you can always play with your
    friends when you want to. That's pretty cool.

    > I think I will stick to my guild wars or single player rpgs. never have
    > to worry about servers and for someone with little time you can max your
    > character out without spending 6 months of your life on the game

    Well this is a different point entirely. At first it sounded like you
    wanted to play with your friends.

    In <je1tg19sj8m7rronkbpf677qvfooee42oe@4ax.com> Courageous <courageous@procusion.com> writes:

    > >> Is having 1,000 different servers the only way a game like WoW can be
    > >> made?

    > >Yep.

    > I could imagine a big mult CPU cluster with gods backplane and what not,
    > but... well, I don't ever recall seeing a system design that can handle
    > that sort of transaction count with the required latencies. Bandwidth,
    > yes. Transactions and latencies, no.

    He wasn't asking about "a server" in the sense of a single machine. A
    WoW server is actually a cluster of several separate machines.

    Going beyond hardware and bandwith limitations, though, there is another
    compelling reason why a game like WoW must be broken up across many
    servers: lack of content. If everyone were on the same server, all the
    popular hunting spots would be absolutely packed with players, and the
    Ironforge auction house would suffer a nuclear meltsown. There simply
    isn't enough content to support hundreds of thousands of players in the
    same game world. The world just ain't big enough. Spreading the players
    out among dozens of copies of the game world is the only way to do it.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

    Josh Mayfield a écrit :

    > Well, WoW seems to be better than EverQuest (I) in this respect. I'm
    > playing the free trial of EQ I right now because a friend asked me to.
    > We both rolled newb characters on the same realm and even though we can
    > be logged on at the same time, and able to chat with each other,
    > there's only a 30% chance that we're ever actually able to play
    > together... EverQuest seems to arbitrarily divide realms into sessions,
    > so even though many players may be in the same area on the same server,
    > they can't see or play with each other. Kind of like Guild Wars, but
    > with no choice as to who you're playing with.
    >
    > I will note that unlike WoW, EverQuest does let players on different
    > servers chat with each other and have each other on buddy lists.
    > That's nice at least.

    I gave up EQ I about 2 years ago, but there was no such thing as
    division between players on a single server. Some missions are
    instanciated so only a single group may enter them, but the rest is a
    serverwide persistent world. Doubt they added this feature.

    Crossserver chat and buddy list also existed at that time (something
    like <servername>.<player>). Doubt they cancelled that function.

    When EQ was first released, getting to play with friends needed more
    than being on the same server though : a barbarian of the frozen north
    wouldn't be able to get alive to the hunting grounds of an evil troll
    until about lvl 25 out of a maximum 50, so people choosing to play
    together at low level had same race characters on a same server.

    O.

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Servers Video Games