cmiguelcabral

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2002
I have a pentium III 450MHz with the intel 440bx chipset and i bought a 256MB SDRAM memory stick.

i installed the new memory, but the system (both bios and os) only recognizes half of it (128MB).

then i tried in anoter pc (intel celeron) and the memory module is correctly recognized!!

any reason why this happens? the memory is a TwinMOS PC100 256MB SDR/CL2

thanks

-----------------
cabral

cmiguelcabral

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2002
i found the problem! for 256MB modules or above the motherboard only recognizes registered memory modules.

so i'll rephrase the question:

is there a way of getting the mb to use unregistered 256MB? with a bios update, for instance?

thanks

-----------------
cabral

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
That's what I figured. Check the motherboard manufactures site for a BIOS update, but it is doubtful that this will solve your dilema.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
The 440BX chipsets' memory controller will only correctly recognize memory built with 128 megabit DRAM components. Most likely your new module is build with 256 megabit components. Your mobo is only seeing half the module. The fix is to find a 256MB module built with 128 megabit components. To make it easy on you look for a 256MB module built with 16 chips total. Does the module you bought probably has 8 chips. That should take care of it for you.

Good Luck

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at louman99's answer. He's right. Look at the first post in this forum, titled "FAQ". You'll find the same info in there. BX chipset limited to 16MB per chip, 128MB per 8-chip side, 256MB per 16-chip module.

You want memory that's compatable? Doesn't have to be PC100. Crucial carries PC133 that works fine with the BX. Use their memory selector. Also they have CHEAP prices, LIFETIME warranty (from a company that will probably be around for your lifetime), and FREE 2-day shipping.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>