@@@@@
8 answers Last reply
More about fable lost chapters

    On 2005-08-26, Trimble Bracegirdle <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:
    > "Fable The Lost Chapters" for the PC is allready around in certain corners
    > of the Internet...
    > And looks like the widely given September 20th release date is for real..
    > Would people who know Fable say whether a Morrowind / Gothic fan should be
    > excited at its arrival ????
    > Luv mouse
    > @@@@@

    It's a lot shorter than Morrowind or Gothic. Remember this is
    from the same people who made "Black & White." Gameplay won't be
    important. It's how many leaves they render and how they keep
    track of every leaf through the seasons. That sort of stuff.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:25:31 +0100, "Trimble Bracegirdle"
    <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:

    >"Fable The Lost Chapters" for the PC is allready around in certain corners
    >of the Internet...
    >And looks like the widely given September 20th release date is for real..
    >Would people who know Fable say whether a Morrowind / Gothic fan should be
    >excited at its arrival ????

    Certain elements strongly remind me of Kingdom Hearts, which isn't
    really good or bad (exp balls pooling on the floor and the slightly
    too large feet, much smaller than the kingdom hearts feet though).

    Elements I like; Lots of choices for playing a bad guy if that's
    what you want to do. The Minigames (like showing off your quest
    trophies to applauding townsfolk to increase your renown) are
    interesting.

    Elements I dislike. The economic model is a joke. Goods, I suppose
    you are to buy low and sell higher, some of which are only for
    trading, like sacks of grain. But I found a trader in the early part
    of the game who will buy items for more than he will sell them for.
    Yep, he's so stupid that I can buy items from him and immediately sell
    them back for a profit, but he's such a good trader that he's got an
    unlimited supply of gold for me to steal, er haggle away, from him.

    Elements I hate; I can swing a two handed axe right through a
    friendly or neutral and not hurt them, but the second I try that with
    a spell the friendly/neutral is affected. Really makes using the Push
    spell so you can get room to fire a Ranged weapon, or area offensive
    spells, a pain in the ass if there is someone you shouldn't be killing
    anywhere around you.

    I had the chance to preview this game via one of the, er, shall we say
    "shady" cohorts of mine I met at a LAN party. I played it for about 1
    hour and was thouroughly dissapointed.
    Eye candy does not a good game make. This is the most linear,
    limiting, dull storyline I have experienced since Max Payne.

    I was especially preturbed with all the hype about how you can "play
    your character how you want to play". Baloney. First thing I did was
    attack a guard' after about 10 warnings of "Do that again and I will
    throw you in jail!" and nothing happening I happilly quit to go play
    something fun...what a POS.

    tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I had the chance to preview this game via one of the, er, shall we say
    > "shady" cohorts of mine I met at a LAN party. I played it for about 1
    > hour and was thouroughly dissapointed.
    > Eye candy does not a good game make. This is the most linear,
    > limiting, dull storyline I have experienced since Max Payne.
    >
    > I was especially preturbed with all the hype about how you can "play
    > your character how you want to play". Baloney. First thing I did was
    > attack a guard' after about 10 warnings of "Do that again and I will
    > throw you in jail!" and nothing happening I happilly quit to go play
    > something fun...what a POS.

    I finished it, and it doesn't get any better as you go along...

    Smart Feet wrote:
    > tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > I had the chance to preview this game via one of the, er, shall we say
    > > "shady" cohorts of mine I met at a LAN party. I played it for about 1
    > > hour and was thouroughly dissapointed.
    > > Eye candy does not a good game make. This is the most linear,
    > > limiting, dull storyline I have experienced since Max Payne.
    > >
    > > I was especially preturbed with all the hype about how you can "play
    > > your character how you want to play". Baloney. First thing I did was
    > > attack a guard' after about 10 warnings of "Do that again and I will
    > > throw you in jail!" and nothing happening I happilly quit to go play
    > > something fun...what a POS.
    >
    > I finished it, and it doesn't get any better as you go along...

    I have to call bullshit.

    I've not finished the game. I've played it a bit. It's not TEH BEST
    GAEM EVAR, but it has fun, exciting gameplay and cute minigames. The
    graphics are a nice plus, but essentially unimportant (I play ADOM
    ferpetesake).

    Yeah, stuff you do in the "child" and "adolescent" stages will have no
    serious consequences. But once you graduate from the Guild, you can
    kill guards (or try, anyway) to your heart's content. They'll fight
    back, and they will kill you if you're not strong enough.

    I have no idea why people want to hate this game so bad. It's a good
    game. I think it's a lot of fun. Yes, the stages are fairly linear. No,
    it doesn't really live up to the original hype. But there's a lot to
    see and do, and it's well-done and FUN. The combat system is satisfying
    and cool. The experience system is well thought-out.

    Laszlo

    To be honest, I never heard of this game before I saw it so hype had
    nothing to do with it. I never follow upcoming gaming news, I learned
    a long time ago that it's usually a let down. I just found it utterly
    boring, unoriginal and too linear for my tastes.

    On 2005-09-15, chaoslight@gmail.com <chaoslight@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I have no idea why people want to hate this game so bad. It's a good
    > game. I think it's a lot of fun. Yes, the stages are fairly linear. No,
    > it doesn't really live up to the original hype. But there's a lot to
    > see and do, and it's well-done and FUN. The combat system is satisfying
    > and cool. The experience system is well thought-out.

    I think it's the hype that killed the game. Other games did a far
    better job in the non-linear department.

    chaoslight@gmail.com wrote:
    >I have to call bullshit.
    >I've not finished the game. I've played it a bit. It's not TEH BEST
    >GAEM EVAR, but it has fun, exciting gameplay and cute minigames. The
    >graphics are a nice plus, but essentially unimportant (I play ADOM
    >ferpetesake).

    Yes, I loved the game too. It was done with polish and style. It
    didn't have the same generic dull earnestness+overacting of Jade
    Empire or DS2.

    --
    Lucian

PC gaming Video Games